Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You call yourself a nerd?

Type
    INTP
    I'm listening to power metal while playing a video game that just involves staring at a map of fifteenth century europe for hours.

But I saved Byzantium and I'm going to restore the Roman Empire.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by singularity View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to be called an intellectual?

intellectual > nerd > geek - I would think.
    an "intellectual" is like a pretentious status-concerned nerd, though. someone who'd identify with the term "intelligentsia," and makes a living specifically from "knowledge production."

idk.

either "intellectuals" are the jocks of nerds, or computer programmers.

to me, a "geek" is like a tech-y nerd, and a nerd-nerd is primarily bookish. edit: i just realized i could talk forever about my perceptions of diff types of nerds, so i'll stop here.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    IXTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    an "intellectual" is like a pretentious status-concerned nerd, though. someone who'd identify with the term "intelligentsia," and makes a living specifically from "knowledge production."

idk.

to me, a "geek" is like a tech-y nerd, and a nerd-nerd is primarily bookish. edit: i just realized i could talk forever about my perceptions of diff types of nerds, so i'll stop here.
    Geeks are also more specialized than nerds. One can have a nerdy approach to life in general, but only a geeky approach to specific hobbies or obsessions.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post

idk.

Seems to me like intellectuals are based in the humanities and are therefore cooler than the nerds and geeks in science/technology. Intellectuals read lots of novels, they don't know maths.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by singularity View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to be called an intellectual?

intellectual > nerd > geek - I would think.
    I find this disturbingly backwards. Geeks lord over all intellectuals. Heck, they build tech empires and defy the business protocols. Not all intellectuals are nerds. Not all nerds are geeks. Geeks are intellectual nerds who know what they want the world to be.

Edit: Geeks and nerds are too often use a badge these days.

On topic: I’m no nerd. Damn.
    We cling to our past as if they define us. What we do defines us.

Type
    INTP
    Update: this is the state of things in 1533

Bulgaria, Crimea and Samtskhe are vassals of Byzantium. Basileus Ioannes IX Palaiologos is about to become a household name for centuries, since Rome is about to fall. The Papal Heresy will be eradicated for good as Rome is restored to the Roman Empire.

Type
    INTP
    1630:

Byzantium is having its own problems with Catalonian separatists at the moment, but it won't last long. They've grown very efficient at suppressing rebellions while the missionaries and diplomats work to bring Byzantine culture and Orthodox Christianity to their latest conquests, all while continuing to expand. The Pentarchy has been restored, and Austria is the junior partner in a personal union - basically, the last Von Habsburg died without a direct heir, and through marriage the throne passed to a Palaiologos, essentially making Austria part of the Byzantine Oligarchy. Poland was conquered and forced to dissolve its own union with Lithuania, and then both were conquered again to push them away from the Black Sea. Spain and France could have united and posed a real threat to Byzantine ambitions, but instead they fought over colonies in the New World. Perhaps that was the wise thing, because if Spanish and French culture are to be preserved at all it will be there and not in Europe. At this point there is no stopping Byzantium. With the Mediterranean coast almost entirely secured, there is so much money rolling in (and so much manpower from Anatolia and the Baltic region) that they could raise huge mercenary armies in any part of the empire to match any nation, and with the best generals honed from a century of conquest and violent suppression.

Type
    INTP

1732 and the Empire is nearly restored. France is a vassal, Spain and Portugal have been pushed out of Europe, the holy land has been assimilated and Byzantium has even started construction on the Suez Canal. The British Navy has been putting up a tough fight and Germany is a tough nut to crack.

Things are going interestingly in the new world as well. Because of the pressure on Spain, Florida declared independence in the late 17th and became the United States. There's still a British colonial nation in the New England region called the Thirteen Colonies, as well as British Louisiana and British Mexico. Oh and South America is dominated by La Plata.

edit: it's also kind of funny that there will be no Russia in this game; instead we have Perm.

Oh and we also have to conquer Zeeland. The old one.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post

Apparently I'm a dweeb too
    from this image, it appears i'm an inventor (who hasn't invented anything)(though i have a lot of ideas of things i want which can make my life easier)(i just haven't bothered trying to create them because: 1. i don't have the skills 2. i don't have the drive)
    is being a programmer a requisite? i'm not. although when they taught it in school (DOS, dbase, pascal), i picked it up easily enough. i've since forgotten most of it and just retained the basic concept of conditional statements. now and then, i've thought about studying programming on my own but get too overwhelmed by too much choices and too much data. i'd like to start simple and acquire a language that can be used universally or at least one that can be practical in most applications. i'd like to start by making my own website and then making that website functional enough for more complicated uses.
    is making an app easier? today's world seems more geared towards apps than websites. i'd like my work to be useful to other ppl. even if it doesn't earn as long as it is useful and helpful, i'm okay with that.
    Loneliness isn't being alone with no one to talk to. Loneliness is being surrounded by so many people, none of whom sees the real you. Loneliness isn't an island. It's a sea of people moving through you and past you. It's a storm of empty days and empty moments, going through the motions and hoping that just for one day your emptiness is filled.

Loneliness isn't a state of being alone, but a state of not being fully understood.

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    Who I want to be

1. same intelligence: otherwise I'd have to try harder to relate to the folks at the pubs/general society outside of uni-towns.
    2. basic critical thinking: to challenge stupidity
    3. divergent thinker: to come up with my own ideas
    4. drive: impetus to test ideas

Who I am

1. average guy who has stuffed his brain a little
    2. secretly wishes he were a data analyst but hates programming so I guess it's derpa derp administrator in the near future.

The only thing nerdy about me is my convergence with members of said ilk on here. I guess I blend in well with the crowd.

It's not my intention to insult by sharing something tells me the OP isn't far off this benchmark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X