Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You call yourself a nerd?

Type
    INtP

Apparently I'm a dweeb too

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Nerd is too loaded a term to for me to self-apply precisely because I'm tech unsavvy. Dweeb applies.
    For the purpose of this thread, nerd is a broad term and any of its similes may apply- especially since there is no discernible and agreed upon source that adequately differentiates the various labels of "a socially awkward technophile."

Splitting hairs in this matter is as fruitful in communication as grammar Nazis are. Cheap one upmanship.
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post

My YouTube channel has 44 times less subscribers than one of my competitors but I'm making what he is on his Patreon because my channel points to my book which is associated with my channel.
    will you ever talk about that book?

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by PureViolence View Post
    will you ever talk about that book?
    I already have!
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    I once looked up how much it would have cost to actually buy all of the pirated software that I had downloaded, and it added up to about $300,000 (back around 2002).
    I designed some characters that were actually modeled and put into game demos using the Unreal 3 engine iirc.
    I had an intuos 2 tablet, before 'tablets', and before everything switched to widescreen monitors.
    I learned the basics of probably 10 programming languages or so...none of which I ever used again past, say, 2004?
    Back when I had my Intuos 2, I spent many many many hours drawing with other concept artists on OpenCanvas while using some VOIP chat thing to communicate.

I had a GeoCities page back in the day, and maintained a few blogs...nothing impressive.

I'm far less nerdy these days...but I still learn a lot of stuff online. I learned how to oil paint online...like, before they put The Joy of Painting on Netflix, even.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i only really identify with the term "nerd" but my interests aren't tech-y. if anything i'm more of an art/history/art history nerd. i know a lot of trivia that i have no business knowing cuz i spent my entire adolescence isolated exploring interests that nobody my age gave a shit about, the #1 thing being old music. the internet def facilitated my exploration. i started searching for specific titles on limewire starting age 12 while hanging out on music messageboards. nowadays i don't have so much time to break the law heh. i'm still subscribed to some music sharing email groups.

i know a lot about art and art history. it's just not something i get to discuss much outside of real life academic circles or studio settings.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have no idea what makes me a nerd - I just know that the other people who are classified as nerds are just about the only people who make any sense to me. In high school it was the second most common insult hurled at me. The most common was "devil worshipper" but they were confused about my SCA garb.

I'm not a computer programmer. Does that disqualify me? I think at this point it would be redundant because stigs is so far ahead of me in that department. The easiest way to write a program would be to ask him for help, and it wouldn't be using him because he asks me for help with the stuff I'm better at. We can have a wider range of available skills that way. You wouldn't want a party that's all one class.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    I'm a Magic: The Gathering judge. That's gotta count for something.

Type
    xNxx
    Consider myself more of a dickhead than a nerd, but I do have hair-thin tastes in a lot of technical aspects of my chosen geekery. And I'm gratuitously technical about it, often to my detriment. I even overthink being purposefully stupid.

Type
    INTP
    Wouldn't it be better to be called an intellectual?

intellectual > nerd > geek - I would think.