Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surviving All Nighters

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx

Surviving All Nighters

if you don't have them or very rarely have them, my recommendation is to not start.

with that said...

+ how frequently do you have all-nighters?

+ what's your usual shitty reason for having them?

+ what are your tips for surviving them?

+ if you know you're gonna have an all-nighter, what's your strategy in terms of prepping for it?

+ do you define "all-nighter" in any particular way, personal to you? like, what's the criteria?

feel free to elaborate on this topic in the past tense if you survived a long period of having them frequently.

let's share our secrets.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    xxxx
    yesterday i caught myself giving advice on how to properly pull and survive all-nighters to fellow classmates talking about how they couldn't do them.

suuuuuper fucked up. i started with "it's the most terrible thing ever, just don't do it. but if you have to..."

my tips are:

+ if you know you're pulling one on a certain night, try your best to get a full night's sleep the day before. your body will need it.
    + light meals only.
    + do NOT drive the next day.
    + if you have a headache, or you'll be useless anyway, it's better to just get some sleep.
    + NO sugary shit. if somebody offers a sweet pastry, you must refuse. you'll crash and fuck up, guaranteed. especially when your body is that tired.

i find it's very easy to be deluded about how strong or how weak your body really is. listen to your body. it's giving you information that's not useless.

Type
    INTP
    I describe an all nighters as anytime I'm up for about 36 hours without sleep.

This probably happens once a week, or a couple times a fortnight.

Because I suck at time management, and I've procrastinated into my allocated sleeping time.

I don't prepare for them, they just happen.

Then I just deal with them.

Caffeine & fruit keeps.me going, I like to think.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Caffeine & fruit keeps.me going, I like to think.
    what's your preferred form of caffeine? coffee makes me crash like a mofo. matcha is the only thing that doesn't.

i try to avoid drinking any sort of caffeine throughout the night but i'll have it late afternoon/night. throughout the night it's just tons of water, decaf tea and gatorade. my reason is i'm so afraid of a crash during the night and i was always a bit sensitive to caffeine.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 12-13-2017 at 02:24 AM.

Type
    INtP
    I almost always have one all-nighter a week, working a single third shift. I limit my caffeine that morning and try to nap in the afternoon or evening before I go to work. I get through the thing with caffeine. Around 4am on I feel like it is a bit of a struggle and my brain is working shittier. That job is very easy so I don't sweat it though. I come home and go to sleep within the next hour or two.

If I'm up for too long, my head gets a bit swimmy (hard to describe the feeling, not quite light-headed but similar) and I wouldn't trust myself driving places. You're fucking over your body a lot by messing with it, probably the best advice to anyone is actually not to pull any all-nighters. At least in my case it isn't deadline driven so I can nap beforehand and not have it all be sleep debt. I have black-out curtains in my bedroom and run an essential oil diffuser when I go to sleep and using the same routine can help me nap effectively in the hours before an all-nighter.

Supposedly adrafinil or modafinil (prescription) is good to take if you're pulling an over-nighter to preserve mental focus, but so far I haven't tried fucking with it.
    Last edited by oxyjen; 12-13-2017 at 04:10 AM.

Type
    ISFP
    Well for the last 3 months or so I've been going to bed not sooner than 4 am. There have been some weeks where Im only sleepy at 7 am. Then I always sleep until at least 1 pm. Classes start at 3 so thats enough.
    I don't know where I lost it but a certain day I just started feeling so bored about going to sleep and now I can't just say OK time to sleep.

Hopefully its not a big problem... I still sleep more than a lot of people. I mean I know many just sleep 5 hours or less.

Type
    INTP
    One of my favorite ways to keep myself awake when I was back in school was actually to, believe it or not, smoke large amounts of PCP.

If you can fight off the hallucinations and the insatiable desire to perform an open heart surgery on your roommate with a pink Highlighter, it's a great way to stay awake for an extended periods of time (longest I ever made it was 6-weeks, and when I finally crashed I was awoken to the sounds of police sirens as they found my passed out half-naked in a wal-mart shopping cart reeking of milky-ways and stale urine).

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    One of my favorite ways to keep myself awake when I was back in school was actually to, believe it or not, smoke large amounts of PCP.

If you can fight off the hallucinations and the insatiable desire to perform an open heart surgery on your roommate with a pink Highlighter, it's a great way to stay awake for an extended periods of time (longest I ever made it was 6-weeks, and when I finally crashed I was awoken to the sounds of police sirens as they found my passed out half-naked in a wal-mart shopping cart reeking of milky-ways and stale urine).
    It's the milky ways that got you. Like @jigglypuff said, sugary stuff is just a bad idea when you're trying to stay up.

Type
    INTP
    Way back when I was in animation school, I was going on 2-4 hours of sleep per night on average...it was brutal...
    At that time, Red Bull and Monster energy drinks were just hitting the market...
    The worst feeling ever...not being able to sleep due to the energy drink + not being able to function mentally + drinking that crap on an empty stomach and chasing it with a gas station cup-o-candy...

Nowadays, fruit and water are the way to go...plus visualizing/role playing...I imagine how I would feel if I were alert and refreshed, and in so-doing, I feel alert and refreshed...it's a sort of half-meditative-mantra state...you may get distracted from it, but you can return to the visualization again and again.
    Once you reach a point where you're just constantly having to return to the visualization, it's (past) time to throw in the towel.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    The single best predictor for mental stability is good sleep. I would probably pull an all nighter like once a year, because acute sleep deprivation is hormetic. Otherwise I avoid it. Luckily there is nothing in my life that would compel me to miss a whole nights sleep.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof