Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surviving All Nighters

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    The single best predictor for mental stability is good sleep. I would probably pull an all nighter like once a year, because acute sleep deprivation is hormetic. Otherwise I avoid it. Luckily there is nothing in my life that would compel me to miss a whole nights sleep.
    so if I'm mentally stable on regularly interrupted and/or short sleep, then what can I expect to experience, mentally, once I start sleeping 8 hours straight through? Also, do you think that 'good sleep' is something concrete, like a solid 8 hours, or just 'as much as you need, whenever you need it'?
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in peopleís belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    so if I'm mentally stable on regularly interrupted and/or short sleep, then what can I expect to experience, mentally, once I start sleeping 8 hours straight through? Also, do you think that 'good sleep' is something concrete, like a solid 8 hours, or just 'as much as you need, whenever you need it'?
    Latter - everyone is different. Good sleep is by definition sleep that allows and affords optimum bodily functioning.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    iNtP
    I used to do a lot of shift work. I mean a really lot. I had a good job, good pay and the hard work paid of as in the end I became the manager. that said, I left that job for bigger and brighter things.

At the time i thought shift work was great, I would sleep about 4 hours, spend 6 or so hours doing stuff, then go to work for 12 hours. two days of the week i would skip sleep to make the most of the weekend. in the beginning this was ok - and particularly useful for avoiding the harsh australian summers.

People would often ask me how i handled with the shift work, I always answered that you just get used to working tired. and that pretty much sums it up.

a few tips tho:

small meals
    micro naps
    routine, routine, routine and did i mention routine?
    coffee - don't fall into any nasty abusive substance downward spirals

and worth mentioning also to those that are curious, my sleeping patterns have never returned to pre-shift work days
    Just look at the blue sky

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Way back when I was in animation school, I was going on 2-4 hours of sleep per night on average...it was brutal...
    At that time, Red Bull and Monster energy drinks were just hitting the market...
    The worst feeling ever...not being able to sleep due to the energy drink + not being able to function mentally + drinking that crap on an empty stomach and chasing it with a gas station cup-o-candy...
    i had a monster once thinking it would help me pull an all nighter and it was the one of the most miserable experiences of my life. itís the only time iíve ever had an energy drink. that stuff is just so, so bad for you, and the crash afterwards is fuckin crazy. i also used to stay up by eating skittles. NEVER DO THIS. refined sugar is poison will become the mantra of your life. doing all nighter this way is also a good path to mental instability ime. like... suicidal-unstable. i would recommend not spending time around trains.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    Don't.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    What the heck are you guys doing? What kind of messed up sleep schedules do you have?

I get up at 6AM sharp and thus get super-sleepy after 10PM. By midnight I'm practically sleepwalking. How do you guys even stay awake?

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    + how frequently do you have all-nighters?
    The last time I pulled all-nighters I was an art student... Frequency was usually once every other week, sometimes twice.

+ what's your usual shitty reason for having them?
    Procrastination, indecision, laziness, take your pick. What I had to learn as an artist is there is a time when you just have to pull the trigger, pick a direction and commit because you're running out of production time. The cause of an artist's all-nighter is almost always due to indecision in the conceptual stage of the process, dragging it well into when production should have started.

+ what are your tips for surviving them? + if you know you're gonna have an all-nighter, what's your strategy in terms of prepping for it?
    I would typically attempt to stage my all-nighter on a day where my schedule was as clear as possible or make sure I completed all incidental tasks ahead of time. I would also attempt to get plenty of sleep and general rest before. Outside that, I was an old-schooler who lived off coffee, sometimes three pots through the course of an all-nighter. It's not healthy, but I got through. After I was done, I checked out of reality for a good twenty-four hours.

+ do you define "all-nighter" in any particular way, personal to you? like, what's the criteria?
    Any time I would remain awake for a contiguous twenty-four hours or more. Ultimately, I've never had a particular problem sleeping and would get the shakes and/or temperamental without sleep after about thirty hours, so it has always been best for me to not push myself.

Type
    INTP
    I've never found a good way to do an all nighter and it's been at least ten years since I've done one. It has never really been worth it, the next day is invariably a total loss.

Procrastination sometimes leads me to consider doing it, but I'd now rather take the heat than lose the sleep.

That being said, my sleep schedule is still sub par and would be a real quality of life improvement to eke out another hour on average.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    It has never really been worth it, the next day is invariably a total loss.
    i know what you mean, but iíve never regretted pulling one.

i have to disagree with @Thoth that an artist pulling all nighters is always due to procrastination and laziness. itís more often the opposite in my experience, that itís due to extreme dedication.

a student who doesnít sleep isnít fucking around all week, theyíre working on multiple projects that each require ďmileageĒ for the next stage and the work shows the next time you see it. of course some people are just indecisive but in the creative process thatís not bad if that means youíre exploring a LOT of ideas, executing partway and presenting them to finally choose the best one (thatís like me).

for me itís not laziness, itís the sheer amount of work + deadlines.

what hurts me in the end is that 90 - 95% of the work youíve done is never seen.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    What the heck are you guys doing? What kind of messed up sleep schedules do you have?

I get up at 6AM sharp and thus get super-sleepy after 10PM. By midnight I'm practically sleepwalking. How do you guys even stay awake?
    Caffeine and sugar. I can't do it anymore though. Lost the ability in my mid thirties.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)