Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Surviving All Nighters

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i know what you mean, but i’ve never regretted pulling one.

i have to disagree with @Thoth that an artist pulling all nighters is always due to procrastination and laziness. it’s more often the opposite in my experience, that it’s due to extreme dedication.
    I could see the extreme dedication angle, but you implied all-nighters as a negative, and not something you look forward to doing. If you're extremely dedicated to your piece, I don't think you'd be regretting/dreading pulling all-nighters, you'd just see it as part of the natural process.

a student who doesn’t sleep isn’t fucking around all week, they’re working on multiple projects that each require “mileage” for the next stage and the work shows the next time you see it. of course some people are just indecisive but in the creative process that’s not bad if that means you’re exploring a LOT of ideas, executing partway and presenting them to finally choose the best one (that’s like me).
    This tells me you have a deadline, which is why you're pulling all-nighters. If your only client is yourself, then be as extremely dedicated as you want and risk lateness with whatever excuse you want to apply. But be honest with yourself, it is an excuse. Just realize that the real world doesn't often care about your level dedication and a client isn't often going to pay you for additional time for being extra passionate.

There is nothing wrong with having a lot of ideas, obviously, but pulling all-nighters is most often a lack of discipline in knowing when you must pick an idea and run with it to have time for your creative process whilst delivering the final product in a timely fashion.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    I could see the extreme dedication angle, but you implied all-nighters as a negative, and not something you look forward to doing. If you're extremely dedicated to your piece, I don't think you'd be regretting/dreading pulling all-nighters, you'd just see it as part of the natural process.
    i can't recommend it responsibly for anybody else. it's not something i consider inherent to a creative process, but to a heavy workload that inevitably cuts into your personal life.

This tells me you have a deadline, which is why you're pulling all-nighters. If your only client is yourself, then be as extremely dedicated as you want and risk lateness with whatever excuse you want to apply. But be honest with yourself, it is an excuse. Just realize that the real world doesn't often care about your level dedication and a client isn't often going to pay you for additional time for being extra passionate.

There is nothing wrong with having a lot of ideas, obviously, but pulling all-nighters is most often a lack of discipline in knowing when you must pick an idea and run with it to have time for your creative process whilst delivering the final product in a timely fashion.
    i used to work in production and i know there's no excuse for missing a deadline. the point is you're not missing any deadlines when you skimp on sleep for the purpose of meeting them. an excuse for not meeting them would be "i got tired."

and yeah, in production, you're not paid for your ideas. in design school, what's the excuse for not pushing yourself?

the fact that design students typically skimp on sleep is fucked up, but doesn't scream to me a lack of discipline. it's rather the opposite.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INFP
    the fact that design students typically skimp on sleep is fucked up, but doesn't scream to me a lack of discipline. it's rather the opposite.
    So, having poor time management skills is discipline?

As for the rest... Art school bliss. I remember it myself.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    So, having poor time management skills is discipline?

As for the rest... Art school bliss. I remember it myself.
    speak for yourself.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    I haven't pulled an all-nighter since college. I don't know how I was able to do it... I just kind of did. I consumed a lot of caffeine and carbs when I did.

if you don't have them or very rarely have them, my recommendation is to not start.

with that said...

+ how frequently do you have all-nighters?

+ what's your usual shitty reason for having them?

+ what are your tips for surviving them?

+ if you know you're gonna have an all-nighter, what's your strategy in terms of prepping for it?

+ do you define "all-nighter" in any particular way, personal to you? like, what's the criteria?

feel free to elaborate on this topic in the past tense if you survived a long period of having them frequently.

let's share our secrets.
    I do them all the time because I can't help it. I get into something, and that's it. Sleeping is no longer possible because I can't get my mind off the thing I'm doing.

It's really bad for you. It's probably going to give me dimension at some older age. It's a curse. I don't know the cure and I've been looking for it my entire life. I feel like I should get some kind of disability card.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    What the heck are you guys doing? What kind of messed up sleep schedules do you have?

I get up at 6AM sharp and thus get super-sleepy after 10PM. By midnight I'm practically sleepwalking. How do you guys even stay awake?
    used to be like that for me too
    then i started this shitty job which wouldn't let me do anything in the whole day so i started staying up till 2, then till 3, then till 4 and then i didn't have sense of time anymore

What the heck are you guys doing? What kind of messed up sleep schedules do you have?

I get up at 6AM sharp and thus get super-sleepy after 10PM. By midnight I'm practically sleepwalking. How do you guys even stay awake?
    You are a sleeper, you son of a bitch. I'd kill to have that super power. Every night is a battle for me. 24 hour days are a sick joke, and people like you have no appreciation for what you have. If someone offered me the choice between 1 million dollars and the ability to sleep at night at will, I'd go for the latter. 10 million, and I'd go with that... cuz then there'd be no reason to sleep at will.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I get up at 6AM sharp and thus get super-sleepy after 10PM.
    Do you live on a farm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP

What would Brother John and Sister Esther say if they caught you indulging yourself with one of those glowing screen devices the devil uses for his bidding?