Thread: Wolf's Corner

Type
    INTP

Wolf's Corner

Dave and I were best friends. We grew up doing everything together. I was his Paul and he was my Wayne, although he hardly looked the Wayne type, being too skinny (and he had glasses), while my only similarity with Paul was being tall. We parted ways in 10th grade. Dave became too concerned with how others viewed us. He wanted to be popular while I wanted to stay the same. I guess he never understood why I wanted to remain a weirdo. I wished I told him back then. But it was hard to explain something no one would ever believe. I guess I should have trusted our friendship. But it was too unbelievable, even for us weird types. I could still remember that day like it was just yesterday…

I was out by the city river fixing my toy boat with a hidden camera. For months, Dave and I had been growing apart. He kept insisting we should start being normal and start befriending the popular kids. I said I was happy with just the two us together. So he started spending time with the popular kids and acting in school like he never knew me. He still went over the house regularly though. I just shrugged my shoulder and allowed him to live out this phase. Well, I thought it was a phase.

I was busy fixing the camera angle when a girl approached me.

“Hey, what are you doing?”

I looked up and recognized her. “Oh, it’s you. I guess you came back home after all.”

“Oh no, I didn’t. I’m living somewhere else now. I just thought I’d come back and see how everyone else is doing.” She looked down and looked kind of sad. “I guess no one’s really missing me that much.”

“Oh, don’t mind them,” I tried to reassure her. “People are just that way – self-centered. They wouldn’t miss me too even if I went missing for a week.” I smiled at her. “Ben,” I said, extending my hand to her. She took it and shook it. She started saying her name but I cut her off. “Kayla, I know.” I tapped the ground beside me. “Come sit down and join me. God knows I need company these days as --” whatever I was saying got cut off as a water balloon hit me in the face and exploded, completely drenching me. From somewhere afar, I could hear Dave and his “new” friends hooting with laughter.

“Hey, weirdo! Can you stop being a weirdo for once?” Dave shouted.

I picked up the limp balloon off my lap, threw it on the ground beside me, and tried to wipe off the water on my face. “As I was saying,” I said to Kayla. “God knows I need company these days as my best friend,” I continued, before throwing a withering glance in Dave’s direction, “has abandoned me in the hopes of living a life of normalcy.”

Kayla sported a sad frown. “Well, if that is being what’s normal, I guess I’d rather be with you.” And she happily plumped down beside me and asked: “So, what are you doing?”

So we spent the entire afternoon talking about my life before Dave started wanting to be normal, and her life before she ran away. As that day ended, I made up my mind to start talking to people who needed someone to talk to – like she did. It was the last straw for Dave of course. After that day, he stopped coming over.
    But I could still remember that day, clear as it was, just like it was yesterday…
    ---
    Ben and I were best friends. We grew up doing everything together. He was my Paul and I was his Wayne, although I hardly looked the Wayne type, being too skinny (and I had glasses), while his only similarity with Paul was being tall. We parted ways in 10th grade. He kept insisting on being a weirdo and it was seriously cramping my social life. I kind of missed him sometimes. It’s hard to find a friend like him who liked almost everything I did. But I guess even best friends drift apart as they grow older. Life can be like that.

That was 20 years ago.

He died a week ago. Some said he jumped in front of a truck and committed suicide. His mom wouldn’t hear of it. She said he was acting normal and was quite happy with his life. But isn’t that how every suicidal seem? I didn’t say anything. His mom was so broken up about me coming that she couldn’t stop talking about me and Ben’s time together. She said she couldn’t understand why Ben and I stopped seeing each other.

“I changed schools, Mrs. Kowalski,” I said.

“But you could still have kept in touch with each other!” she remarked. I just shrugged and gave her a weak smile.
    She was quite happy that I could come. She told me that I could come over after the service was over and look at some of his things. She said Ben left something for me.

I did come after the service was over. She brought me down to his work room in the basement and gave me a tape.
    “I found this in his things while I was packing his things. I guess he was making this for you.” She was teary-eyed as she gave me the tape.

Was this his suicide tape? Am I on it? “13 Reasons Why” kept flashing through my mind as I sat down in front of the TV to watch it. It began with shots of us playing together when we were young. There was that time we were playing superheroes and wore silly costumes. Another time we were playing Pokemon and YuGi Oh. Still another shot of us just horsing around.

Then I heard his voice.

“Dave and I were best friends. We grew up doing everything together…”

When the tape was finished, I rushed out of his house. Mrs. Kowalski tried to stop me.

“What does it mean Dave?” She shouted after me.

“I’ll talk to you about it later Mrs. Kowalski! I just need to see something first!” I shouted back at her as I kept running towards Lake Street.
    --
    I need to know. I could hardly remember that day he was talking about. Everything was foggy. But I was pretty sure everything was not as he had shown it.

When I got to Lake Street, I ran towards the first house on the left. This is where the Harrises lived. Simon Harris was with me on that day. In fact, I can distinctly remember him filming Ben as I threw the water balloon on him.
    I pounded on the door as loud as I can.

“Coming!” Simon yelled back from inside. “Jesus Christ, Beatie. Calm your tits down. Do you want to break down our door?” Simon said as he opened the door for me. He was carrying his three year old kid in his arms. “What is it?”

“Do you remember that time we were clowning around and throwing water balloons at Kowalski?” I asked him.

“Hmm, maybe,” he said.

“You were filming that day,” I continued.

“Maybe,” he was non-committal.

“Show me,” I said as I pushed past him.

“Is everything okay? It was Jeanie, Simon’s wife.

“Yes honey. Everything’s okay. Dave just needed to look at something we did back in the day. Here, take Christy with you. We’ll just be going around the back.”

We went around the back where their storage room was located. Simon took a box from one of the shelves there.
    “These are all the tapes I took during that time.”

We started going through each one of them until I could find the one I was looking for. When we finished watching it I asked him if I could take it.

“Yeah sure, but what is this about David? Is this about Ben killing himself or something?”

“Ben did not kill himself. I’m not yet sure, but I think Ben did not kill himself.”

“Well, okay. If you say so.”

“Thanks a lot Harris. I’ll get this back to you as soon as I’m finished with it.”

“Ahh, take your time. I’m not doing anything with it anyway.”

When I got home, I fired up my laptop and searched for a name. When I was finished reading, I knew exactly what happened to Dave. It was all so clear now.

Now, I could remember that day just like it was yesterday…
    ---
    Ben and I were best friends. We didn’t grow up doing everything together. That was his other best friend, Dave. No, I was more like his Winnie and he was my Wayne, although he hardly looked the Wayne type, being too skinny (and he had glasses), while my only similarity with Winnie was that I was a girl. We met in 10th grade.

People always picked on me because I was quiet, and shy. No one wanted to be my friend and certainly no boy looked my way. That’s why I was so happy when someone started paying attention to me, giving me compliments.

I met him online. He was sweet and caring. We gradually came to know each other until he started inviting me to meet him. He told me that if I was so unhappy with my life, I should go and run away with him. Although I was scared, I was more scared of losing the only person who ever made me feel real, made me feel wanted. So I went to meet him and run away.

A week after, I came back. Everything was as it was before I left. It was like nobody missed me. It was then that I saw Ben fiddling with his toy boat. He was by his lonesome being oblivious to everything. He reminded me of myself. So I came up to him to talk.

“Hey, what are you doing?”

He looked up and recognition dawned on his face. “Oh, it’s you. I guess you came back home after all.”

“Oh no, I didn’t. I’m living somewhere else now. I just thought I’d come back and see how everyone else is doing.” I looked down and felt sad. “I guess no one’s really missing me that much.”

“Oh, don’t mind them,” he tried to reassure me. “People are just that way – self-centered. They wouldn’t miss me too even if I went missing for a week.” He smiled at me. He was so warm. “Ben,” he said, extending his hand to me. I took it and shook it. I started saying my name but he cut me off. “Kayla, I know.” He tapped the ground beside him. “Come sit down and join me. God knows I need company these days as --” whatever he was saying got cut off as a water balloon hit him in the face and exploded, completely drenching him. From somewhere afar, I could hear some boys hooting with laughter.
    “Hey, weirdo! Can you stop being a weirdo for once?” a boy shouted.
    He picked up the limp balloon off his lap, threw it on the ground beside him, and tried to wipe off the water from his face. “As I was saying,” he said, “God knows I need company these days as my best friend,” he continued, before throwing a withering glance at the boy who threw the water balloon, “has abandoned me in the hopes of living a life of normalcy.”

I gave him a sad frown. “Well, if that is being what’s normal, I guess I’d rather be with you.” And I happily sat down beside him and asked: “So, what are you doing?”

So we spent the entire afternoon talking about his life before his best friend Dave started wanting to be normal, and my life before I ran away.

As the afternoon ended, he invited me to test his boat and the camera he fixed on it. We went in the water where it wasn’t so deep and set the boat off. As the boat was floating away from us, another water balloon splashed beside us. It was that boy again.

“Who are you talking to, weirdo?” The boy shouted as he launched another water balloon. This time it hit the boat, turning it over. Ben rushed towards it before it could sink.

“Did the camera get wet?” I asked.

“I hope not. Let’s get back to my place and see if we can save it.”

So we went back to his place and that’s how our friendship started.
    ---
    I went back to Mrs. Kowalski’s place. I showed her the tapes. First I showed her Ben’s tape and then I showed her Simon’s tape. When we finished watching, she started crying. She said it explained everything. She showed me out the door and thanked me for everything.

When I got home, I started crying and questioned myself how I missed all of it. It was so clear now. How could I have missed it?
    ---
    When we got to my place, we immediately went to my work room to take the boat apart and see if the camera’s tape was not damaged by the water.

“Mom, is there dinner yet? I brought a friend.” I called out.

“It’s almost ready. Come up here and let me meet your friend.”

“Wait here,” I told Kayla. “I’ll just see what’s for dinner and bring some down.” She smiled at me and began looking through the stuff in my room.

As I went upstairs, I could hear dad watching the news.

“In other news, the body of 16 year-old Kayla Robinson has been found floating on the city river. Police said they have a suspect but declined to give any more details…”

“So, who’s your friend downstairs?” Mom asked me.
    ---
    Since then, Ben and I have been together. We fell in love with each other and have been happy with each other ever since. Although he still had trouble distinguishing who was living and who was not, I was usually there with him to help him out. It was just unfortunate that I was not with him when the accident happened. I was out visiting my parents so he thought he was saving a kid from being run over by a truck and tried to push the kid out of harm’s way.
    For a while, I was worried he wouldn’t come back. After all, not everyone who dies comes back. But he had some things left to do yet.

And now it’s done. Mrs. Kowalski and Dave finally understand. He can move on. We both can move on. He was the only reason I’ve been staying here all these years. I’ve been waiting for him.

“Ready to go, my love?” he said, beaming with that warm smile of his.

“Of course, my darling. I’ve been ready ever since you came downstairs shaking in your boots as you heard the news,” I laughed.

We kissed as we closed our eyes and let go of this world.

We don’t know where we’re going, but it doesn’t matter, because we’ll be together.

END.
    Loneliness isn't being alone with no one to talk to. Loneliness is being surrounded by so many people, none of whom sees the real you. Loneliness isn't an island. It's a sea of people moving through you and past you. It's a storm of empty days and empty moments, going through the motions and hoping that just for one day your emptiness is filled.

Loneliness isn't a state of being alone, but a state of not being fully understood.

Type
    INTP
    Not bad.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Blood is thicker than water
    so they say
    well I beg to disagree
    if I may

it’s not blood that ties your bonds
    that connects you across distant lands
    rather it is time well spent and well invested
    in love and joy
    in pain and hardships
    never wasted
    Loneliness isn't being alone with no one to talk to. Loneliness is being surrounded by so many people, none of whom sees the real you. Loneliness isn't an island. It's a sea of people moving through you and past you. It's a storm of empty days and empty moments, going through the motions and hoping that just for one day your emptiness is filled.

Loneliness isn't a state of being alone, but a state of not being fully understood.