1 5.88%
  • Type 9 - Mediator/Peacemaker

2 11.76%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Enneagram Type?

Type
    INTP

What's your Enneagram Type?

Are there any other Eights on the forum?

Expand on your Wings in the comments section, and tell me your opinions on Enneagram and how and if you think the system relates to you, as a self development tool.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    8s are superior, I wish I was an 8 !
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    8s are superior, I wish I was an 8 !
    Some Eights are vastly superior to just mere mortals, that is true.

However, most of us are not... We're just as shitty as eveybody else, with less social grace.

Extroverted Sensor Eights are just the worst to be stuck around irl when they're hell bent on negativity.. my good friend is one in fact, but when she's not being a swamp monster, she's fucking hilarious and has a motivating energy.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    5w4 is accurate enough. Apart from reading up on it, haven't put a huge amount of thought into the Enneagram system.
    I remember reading the development stages, and it did mirror some earlier behaviour and issues.

It seemed to me that where MBTI is good for understanding how people interact with the world around them, Enneagrams are a good predictor of people's self doubts and insecurities. For example, as a 5 I'm often worried about gaps in my knowledge and being outsmarted. If you haven't noticed, sometimes if I don't know about a subject that comes up I'll hurriedly go away and read up on it so that I don't seem dumb. Of course, sometimes this backfires and I've read it so hurriedly that I skipped a vital detail. And the w4 I think is why it bugs me so much when anyone calls me Richard (it's so fucking common).

As you've said, though, we 5's tend to think about some weird shit and be in our own little worlds all the time. I'm trying to learn to be a bit more in the here & now and I'm hoping I've picked up a bit of attention to detail over the past few months

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    I’m 7w8

Constant pursuit of adventure and novelty baby
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    5w4 is accurate enough. Apart from reading up on it, haven't put a huge amount of thought into the Enneagram system.
    I remember reading the development stages, and it did mirror some earlier behaviour and issues.

It seemed to me that where MBTI is good for understanding how people interact with the world around them, Enneagrams are a good predictor of people's self doubts and insecurities. For example, as a 5 I'm often worried about gaps in my knowledge and being outsmarted. If you haven't noticed, sometimes if I don't know about a subject that comes up I'll hurriedly go away and read up on it so that I don't seem dumb. Of course, sometimes this backfires and I've read it so hurriedly that I skipped a vital detail. And the w4 I think is why it bugs me so much when anyone calls me Richard (it's so fucking common).

As you've said, though, we 5's tend to think about some weird shit and be in our own little worlds all the time. I'm trying to learn to be a bit more in the here & now and I'm hoping I've picked up a bit of attention to detail over the past few months
    Classic INTP 5 ...would rather sit around inventing theoretical drugs than actually do something constructive.. Could probably recite 300 geeky facts from the top of your head, but doesn't know how to interact with people.

My concern over you folk is that you're pretty much useless in real world situations, with no natural instincts what so ever, beyond wanting to refer to the internet or a textbook.

I was just thinking about which Ennea would be most useful on a dream team.. and surprisingly, to me, 5's aren't even up there for me.

I used to be impressed with 5s, until I started interacting with them.

Type
    INTP
    Rep: Yea, I would say it depends on "Health levels", stages of psychological development, coping mechanisms, and how we deal with our early conditioning.

To take the Eight for example:

Type Eight—Levels of Development

Healthy Levels

Level : (At Their Best): Become self-restrained and magnanimous, merciful and forbearing, mastering self through their self-surrender to a higher authority. Courageous, willing to put self in serious jeopardy to achieve their vision and have a lasting influence. May achieve true heroism and historical greatness.

Level 2: Self-assertive, self-confident, and strong: have learned to stand up for what they need and want. A resourceful, "can do" attitude and passionate inner drive.

Level 3: Decisive, authoritative, and commanding: the natural leader others look up to. Take initiative, make things happen: champion people, provider, protective, and honorable, carrying others with their strength.

Average Levels

Level 4: Self-sufficiency, financial independence, and having enough resources are important concerns: become enterprising, pragmatic, "rugged individualists," wheeler-dealers. Risk-taking, hardworking, denying own emotional needs.

Level 5: Begin to dominate their environment, including others: want to feel that others are behind them, supporting their efforts. Swaggering, boastful, forceful, and expansive: the "boss" whose word is law. Proud, egocentric, want to impose their will and vision on everything, not seeing others as equals or treating them with respect.

Level 6: Become highly combative and intimidating to get their way: confrontational, belligerent, creating adversarial relationships. Everything a test of wills, and they will not back down. Use threats and reprisals to get obedience from others, to keep others off balance and insecure. However, unjust treatment makes others fear and resent them, possibly also band together against them.

Unhealthy Levels

Level 7: Defying any attempt to control them, become completely ruthless, dictatorial, "might makes right." The criminal and outlaw, renegade, and con-artist. Hard-hearted, immoral and potentially violent.

Level 8: Develop delusional ideas about their power, invincibility, and ability to prevail: megalomania, feeling omnipotent, invulnerable. Recklessly over-extending self.

Level 9: If they get in danger, they may brutally destroy everything that has not conformed to their will rather than surrender to anyone else. Vengeful, barbaric, murderous. Sociopathic tendencies. Generally corresponds to the Antisocial Personality Disorder.
    I don't think any of these "levels" are static.. but they are decent general guide to the state of one's current health, when taking into account all weaknesses and strengths.

My EXFP Eight friend generally stuck in the mind set of Levels 5 & 6. Exacerbated by very little self awareness of her own destructive behaviours.

She's boastful, belligerent, frequently makes threats, and sometimes thinks she invincible, much to the disdain of her partner..

I'm an Eight, we have some things in common, but I'm introverted so I don't actually go around yelling at people and causing a scene like she does..

I'm probably generally in the mentality of Level 4.. I have goods days,.where I'm positive and magnanimous, I have bad days where I just wish everyone were dead... But the most important thing I have, that many average Eights don't is self awareness of my destructive tendencies.

But like any average, Eight I indulge in that destruction anyway.

I don't think an Eight can be truly happy when they feel so many things are out of their control.. and that's where I am and how I feel.

Type
    INTP
    The majority of INTP's appear to be type 5. And it depends on what that team is trying to accomplish.

Learning to put theory into practice is the biggest downfall of the 5, I would say. Doing so means we can be superior to you mere mortals.

For example, my build. Which you have to admit - I look good without clothes. I don't think you even believed me that I was skinny, weak runt only a few years ago but worked out how to change that and did so.

Type
    INTP
    I saw a photo, I believe you were a skinny, weak, runt.

It's probably only because your manhood took a blow when your marriage failed, I presume, you decided to do something about that.

Maybe if you done it before, you would kept your woman.