View Poll Results: Which best describes you?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right handed, primarily use right thumb for space bar.

12 44.44%
  • Right handed, primarily use left thumb for space bar.

3 11.11%
  • Right handed, use both right and left thumb equally.

1 3.70%
  • Left handed, primarily use right thumb for space bar.

2 7.41%
  • Left handed, primarily use left thumb for space bar.

1 3.70%
  • Left handed, use both right and left thumb equally.

1 3.70%
  • Ambidextrous, primarily use right thumb for space bar.

1 3.70%
  • Ambidextrous, primarily use left thumb for space bar.

1 3.70%
  • Ambidextrous, use both right and left thumb equally.

0 0%
  • I do not primarily use my thumbs to hit the space bar.

5 18.52%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which thumb do you space with?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Which thumb do you space with?

I just realized I never use my left thumb to hit the space bar when I'm writing. I only use the left for gaming. The space bar on my keyboard is all wonky and tilted to the right and worn completely smooth on that side, while the left looks nearly new. I guess that also shows I write more than I game (not counting VR, lol).

I am right handed too.

I wonder if there is a correlation between which side one favors for spacing and dominant hand.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    I'm a righty and use my right thumb but I hit it in the center. I have a compact keyboard though. I think the keys are placed slightly off from standard.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I'm a righty and use my right thumb but I hit it in the center. I have a compact keyboard though. I think the keys are placed slightly off from standard.

If you are right handed and primarily use your right thumb, why did you not choose that option?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    If you are right handed and primarily use your right thumb, why did you not choose that option?
    I didn't notice it was a poll until now.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I touch type. I had to type naturally to hammer this thing out. I'd never even noticed that I'm a right hand exclusive spacer. I don't consider myself to be ambidextrous so much as mixed-handed (I'm not special, I just live in semantic Hell). I throw right and write left and can't throw left and write right without a significant drop in quality. Different tasks for different hands. When I was in preschool I would hold two pens and write half of a page with each hand until some preschool lady insisted that I pick one. I may have just picked left because I'm a born contrarian asshole but I also eat and drink left. But, enough about me. I space right. Exclusively. I'll describe myself as ambidextrous for the poll.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 12-17-2017 at 01:38 AM.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I didn't notice it was a poll until now.
    Oh, that must have been someone else. My bad.

Type
    INTP
    I use both about equally. I never really gave it any thought before but now that you have me focused on it I see that the hand that types the last letter before the space is usually the one that deploys the thumb. eg. After I type the - left thumb space since a left finger types the e. Thy - right thumb space since a right finger types the y.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Lefty, which means ambidextrous to a non-trivial degree for anything other than writing. But I use my right thumb almost exclusively for spacing. The one time I consistently use my left thumb for spacing is after a period. It's almost comical now that my attention has been drawn to it.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    i use my third arm boy

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    It's almost comical now that my attention has been drawn to it.
    I know, right. I noticed because the right side of the space bar on my favorite keyboard has gotten wonky, and any attempt to use my left thumb results in sort of the equivalent of a stumble in my typing. I've resorted to stretching my right thumb out toward the left side of the spacebar because that's easier than using the other thumb. But I never noticed before.