View Poll Results: Which best describes you?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right handed, primarily use right thumb for space bar.

12 44.44%
  • Right handed, primarily use left thumb for space bar.

3 11.11%
  • Right handed, use both right and left thumb equally.

1 3.70%
  • Left handed, primarily use right thumb for space bar.

2 7.41%
  • Left handed, primarily use left thumb for space bar.

1 3.70%
  • Left handed, use both right and left thumb equally.

1 3.70%
  • Ambidextrous, primarily use right thumb for space bar.

1 3.70%
  • Ambidextrous, primarily use left thumb for space bar.

1 3.70%
  • Ambidextrous, use both right and left thumb equally.

0 0%
  • I do not primarily use my thumbs to hit the space bar.

5 18.52%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which thumb do you space with?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I know, right. I noticed because the right side of the space bar on my favorite keyboard has gotten wonky, and any attempt to use my left thumb results in sort of the equivalent of a stumble in my typing. I've resorted to stretching my right thumb out toward the left side of the spacebar because that's easier than using the other thumb. But I never noticed before.
    What kind of wonky? Some kinds are repairable. Or at least kludgeable.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    What kind of wonky? Some kinds are repairable. Or at least kludgeable.
    Yeah, the attachment point for the mechanism is physically broken ... I'm going to get a new keyboard. I think it's time. I put it on my Amazon wishlist and if I don't get it for Christmas, I'll just order it so it will be there when I come home.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Yeah, the attachment point for the mechanism is physically broken ... I'm going to get a new keyboard. I think it's time. I put it on my Amazon wishlist and if I don't get it for Christmas, I'll just order it so it will be there when I come home.
    The attachment at the board? That's tough. If it's the attachment at the bar, keycaps are replaceable. You might be able to get it to work for a bit longer with superglue and layers of paper. I've gotten some extra life from mice and trackballs with broken buttons by that method--it's derived from reading about growing cells on cellulose scaffolding. The paper is the scaffold to hold the superglue epoxy.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I had to type an entire paragraph to figure out which finger I'm using to hit the space bar.

99% right index finger.

The 1% I can't figure out. My keyboard shows a bit of wear and tear on the left side of he space bar, too. Not sure which finger I'm using for that, though.

Pretty sure that at the speed I type and with the mass of stuff I type, I'd have carpal tunnel syndrome before long if I used the thumb.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    I had to type an entire paragraph to figure out which finger I'm using to hit the space bar.

99% right index finger.

The 1% I can't figure out. My keyboard shows a bit of wear and tear on the left side of he space bar, too. Not sure which finger I'm using for that, though.

Pretty sure that at the speed I type and with the mass of stuff I type, I'd have carpal tunnel syndrome before long if I used the thumb.
    Do you have to look at the keyboard when you type?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Do you have to look at the keyboard when you type?
    No. I also beat most people at speed typing.

Curious Conlanger epistemophiliac's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Holy crap, I've never noticed this before. I only hit the space bar with my left thumb with when I type. Like, I seriously cannot use my right thumb for the life of me unless I think really hard and watch the keyboard when I type. I'm ambidextrous when it comes to writing, though. I think I was born left-handed, but I was forced to write with my right hand as a kid (sort of by teachers but also out of necessity/convenience). Now, I primarily use my right hand just because it's more convenient; no smeared ink, no painful pinches from binder rings, no awkward scissor handles, etc. In high school, though, I used to mess around with mirror-writing, where I would write backwards from the middle with my left-hand while writing the same thing forwards with my right-hand. And at some point, I developed an alternate script for English that could be written both left-to-right and right-to-left; so, when I took notes in my binder, I would use my left hand to write right-to-left on the left side of the rings (backsides of the papers) and I would use my right hand to write left-to-right on the right side of the rings (frontsides of the papers). That was until teachers started doing notebook checks and I'd get in trouble 'cause they couldn't read my notes. lol (sometimes I would even write my notes in Korean or with an adapted Arabic script for English or I would use Chinese characters mixed with English for shorthand and abbreviations)
    Pedin i phith in anÝron, a nin ˙-cheniog.
    Kup tar-tor n'zhitlar ik istau - eh ri ken-tor du nash-veh.
    Sa's drisa tonabhiala tomu˝ s'eph de'imal'il, sa se lodhe togal'n.
    B'lir inus vorbilim bi mek inus, hiam gi b'ek ilimlimr.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    No. I also beat most people at speed typing.
    I've seen hella fast non-traditional typists. I tend to categorize them differently than a hunt and pecker. I was just wondering which you were, not trying to disparage.

Type
    INTP
    Cheap membrane keyboards are like $5 so repair is probably not worth it in my opinion.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Cheap membrane keyboards are like $5 so repair is probably not worth it in my opinion.
    Gross. Not just a membrane, but a cheap one. I'll stick with my mechanicals.