Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of words the CDC is banned from using in 2018... discuss.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

List of words the CDC is banned from using in 2018... discuss.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/16/health...rds/index.html

science-based
    evidence-based
    entitlement
    diversity
    transgender
    vulnerable
    fetus

These words are not to appear in any budget documents from the CDC.

They were told to say, "CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes" in place of evidence-based or science-based.

I have seen a precedent for this. My research funding came from the Knutsen-Vanderberg act. (note that this money was not paid to me, it was used to fund the research)
    As part of the requirements for using this money for my research, I had to prepare numerous documents for the forest service, including exhaustive habitat assessments, one of which was about 500 pages long. I was not allowed to use the term "logged." I was not permitted to come up with my own alternative word. All sylvicultural activities on the land I assessed had to be referred to as "improvements." Even clearcuts. I had to write sentences like, "In 1987, improvements to the land included removal of all trees and replanting with row-planted monoculture pine trees. These improvements resulted in increased siltation to the drainage downstream of the improved area."

I've detested "word policing" in federal agencies ever since.

Thoughts?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    With "science based" I think it's OK to consider more than just science sometimes and the suggested alternative was something about community standards which may be OK. It's just that I was wondering if they now have to will hire poll takers or other researchers to determine the community standard and then balance it with science and then disclose how many more people are likely to die because of the new community standards considerations.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Of all the terms in the list, the one that strikes me as most egregious is "fetus."
    This is because it is a noun with a very clear and unambiguous definition. It means unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception. Why just fetus...why not zygote and embryo too? How about fetal? Can they just use the UK spelling, "foetus." How about if they just make up a new word ... I vote for pragnentizer.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTP
    I heard there was no suggested alternative for fetus. I guess they want "baby" somewhere in the substitute term. Maybe it's obvious enough that they didn't feel the need to suggest anything. I could understand that word too if I open my mind about as wide as it could go.

The only word on my own list that I don't like, that I could imagine Trump not liking either, is homophobe. It implies fear. Even unreasonable fear. There's a negative connotation that shouldn't be there. Some people think it's immoral to be gay. Stupid or not, it's not about fear.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I heard there was no suggested alternative for fetus. I guess they want "baby" somewhere in the substitute term. Maybe it's obvious enough that they didn't feel the need to suggest anything. I could understand that word too if I open my mind about as wide as it could go.

The only word on my own list that I don't like, that I could imagine Trump not liking either, is homophobe. It implies fear. Even unreasonable fear. There's a negative connotation that shouldn't be there. Some people think it's immoral to be gay. Stupid or not, it's not about fear.
    Heh...if the scientists decide to they can probably come up with far less humanizing ways to say "fetus" than "fetus." Could backfire hilariously.

"...a collection of human cells resulting from the division of two unified gametes at least 8 weeks post unification."

Actually if I worked there, I'd probably spend a day coming up with verbose and overly technical ways of saying fetus. I'd make it so that no non-scientist would have any clue what I was referring to, but I'd make sure it referred unambiguously to a fetus.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    At least when a microbe causes me to bleed from every orifice I won't have to read about offense-taking anymore.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INtP
    Sometimes in certain fields, there grows to be key "buzzwords" that get floated around so often that they get to be cliche or meaningless.

But words that are used to describe an identified population of people (i.e., fetuses? transgender?). Stupidity. I guess I'm not entirely sure how these applications work, if every single one gets approved automatically? Because if not, let people write it how they want to and then approve applications accordingly.

But honestly this has got to be a huge joke because the Republican party is pro-free speech, anti-censorship, and welcomes all different lines of thinking right

Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post

Thoughts?
    Properly Orwellian.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    das fucked up, dangerous precedent
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    If this nonsense spreads worldwide, we're about to enter a new Dark Age.