Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: List of words the CDC is banned from using in 2018... discuss.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    If this nonsense spreads worldwide, we're about to enter a new Dark Age.
    Either that or a comically verbose one where everyone dances around forbidden words with their thumbs on their noses.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i was reading one article about it and this part stood out to me cuz i hadn't considered it:

Some people also said that some effort to tone down language might make sense when appealing for funding from Republican conservatives in Congress.
    it's freaky and weird that "banning" certain words is even a thing (i didn't know that), but this just seems hypocritical coming from the same people who claim to be for free speech and against political correctness.

i guess we know what republicans' trigger words are now.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/16/health...rds/index.html

science-based
    evidence-based
    entitlement
    diversity
    transgender
    vulnerable
    fetus

These words are not to appear in any budget documents from the CDC.

They were told to say, "CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes" in place of evidence-based or science-based.

I have seen a precedent for this. My research funding came from the Knutsen-Vanderberg act. (note that this money was not paid to me, it was used to fund the research)
    As part of the requirements for using this money for my research, I had to prepare numerous documents for the forest service, including exhaustive habitat assessments, one of which was about 500 pages long. I was not allowed to use the term "logged." I was not permitted to come up with my own alternative word. All sylvicultural activities on the land I assessed had to be referred to as "improvements." Even clearcuts. I had to write sentences like, "In 1987, improvements to the land included removal of all trees and replanting with row-planted monoculture pine trees. These improvements resulted in increased siltation to the drainage downstream of the improved area."

I've detested "word policing" in federal agencies ever since.

Thoughts?
    Go Time:

based on scientific principles and engagement
    not pulled out of my asshole
    expected privilege/tax justifying goods and services
    non-mono/diverse varieties
    transperson/non-cisperson/human experiencing or having experienced a gender changing transition
    easy victim
    grave mistake/uterus squatter/future vaginal discharge/baby cannon payload

Both parties share the hypocrisy of wanting free speech except the free speech they find odious or inconvenient. It wasn't the democrats that objected to burning flags in protest.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INFJ
    CDC director says there are ‘no banned words’ at the agency
    Politics Dec 17, 2017 4:39 PM EST

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald on Sunday addressed a report that President Donald Trump’s administration had banned the CDC from using seven words or phrases in next year’s budget documents.

The terms are “fetus,” “transgender,” “vulnerable,” “entitlement,” “diversity,” “evidence-based” and “science-based,” according to a story first reported on Friday in The Washington Post.

But Fitzgerald said in a series of tweets on Sunday said there are “no banned words,” while emphasizing the agency’s commitment to data-driven science.

I want to assure you there are no banned words at CDC. We will continue to talk about all our important public health programs.

— Dr Brenda Fitzgerald (@CDCDirector) December 17, 2017

“CDC has a long-standing history of making public health and budget decisions that are based on the best available science and data and for the benefit of all people—and we will continue to do so,” she said.

A group of the agency’s policy analysts said senior officials at the CDC informed them about the banned words on Thursday, according to the Post’s report. In some cases, the analysts were reportedly given replacement phrases to use instead.

But in follow-up reporting, The New York Times cited “a few” CDC officials who suggested the move was not meant as an outright ban, but rather, a technique to help secure Republican approval of the 2019 budget by eliminating certain words and phrases.

A spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the CDC, said the reported decree on banned words was a misrepresentation.

“The assertion that H.H.S. has ‘banned words’ is a complete mischaracterization of discussions regarding the budget formulation process,” Matt Lloyd, an agency spokesman, said in a statement. “H.H.S. will continue to use the best scientific evidence available to improve the health of all Americans. H.H.S. also strongly encourages the use of outcome and evidence data in program evaluations and budget decisions.”

But some in the scientific community said that forbidding certain words could help change the direction of policies at the CDC, the nation’s top public health agency.

“If you are saying you cannot use words like ‘transgender’ and ‘diversity,’ it’s a clear statement that you cannot pay attention to these issues,” said Dr. Sandro Galea, dean of Boston University’s School of Public Health, to the Associated Press.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...-at-the-agency

Type
    intp
    Interesting that you believe what the director of the CDC says now...

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Interesting that you believe what the director of the CDC says now...
    funny that you don't suddenly

oh the irony!

i'll leave you to your fake news

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    funny that you don't suddenly

oh the irony!

i'll leave you to your fake news
    It's not sudden. She was appointed by scumbag Tom Price who was appointed by Agent Orange himself. No one trusted her from day one. Trump’s CDC Pick Peddled ‘Anti-Aging’ Snake Oil to Her Gynecologic Patients

Type
    INtP
    Giving the base what they want.

Anyway, scary as hell. Rage-inducing.

Type
    intp
    Time for a new tee shirt.

Type
    INTP
    It would be more terrifying if they couldn't use those words in their publications. It's still quite ominous, though.