Thread: Kosher is inhumane

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Kosher is inhumane

I read you could shock animals before you kill them the traditional way and then they'll be kosher and not suffer but that's not often done. I guess because of the cost. I don't see why jews can't kill in the modern, less painful way. I think the tradition is based on some rule about being humane, so if the modern way is more humane, shouldn't there be no problem with changing how you slaughter animals?
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    Jews aren't humane.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    Durka durka
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Type
    INtP
    All religion sucks at ditching useless archaic viewpoints and rules, which is why I don't think I can ever be a part of one.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    All religion sucks at ditching useless archaic viewpoints and rules, which is why I don't think I can ever be a part of one.
    I don't know, I have a feeling Mormons are going to massively evolve in the next 10-20 years. They already got rid of polygamy, and they now send girls on missions too. I wonder if they'll ever ditch the ugly underwear.

I can't see Judaism going any further though. Modern Jews are barely even religious, it almost seems more like a big social club at this point. Like a co-ed frat or sorority.

Type
    INTP
    As compared to what? What is humane slaughter and are the non-kosher slaughterhouses doing it?
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I don't know, I have a feeling Mormons are going to massively evolve in the next 10-20 years. They already got rid of polygamy, and they now send girls on missions too. I wonder if they'll ever ditch the ugly underwear.

I can't see Judaism going any further though. Modern Jews are barely even religious, it almost seems more like a big social club at this point. Like a co-ed frat or sorority.
    True, I guess they do change, but they're always about 30 years behind modern intellectual thought.

I know nothing about actual Jews. I'm from the Midwest, it's Protestants as far as the eye can see. All I picked up from media is that they have dry humor and are full of self-loathing. I felt like I could relate.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    As compared to what? What is humane slaughter and are the non-kosher slaughterhouses doing it?
    I'm too tired to look it up but there's a law that they made an exception to for kosher things. I think the non-kosher slaughterhouses are obeying, generally. Animal rights activists catch violations of things like this sometimes though.

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I know nothing about actual Jews. I'm from the Midwest, it's Protestants as far as the eye can see. All I picked up from media is that they have dry humor and are full of self-loathing. I felt like I could relate.
    I grew up with jews and non-jews, I think mostly jews where I lived, and I don't even know. They're kind of regular. I hated some in the typical way I hated those I hated.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.