Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cat Person

Type
    INTP
    It would have been a better story if it turned out that the cats were actually young women chained up in his basement with fake cat ears and drawn on whiskers. I guess something like that probably wouldn't make it into the New Yorker.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Is there a certain convention by which the end to a short story needs to be shocking? For the record, the ending felt like I had already read it before... throughout the entire story. Kinda like a fruit that's ripe and finally falls to the ground. I don't see how it was meant to be a jolt, but maybe I just know the type too well.
    i don't think there's a need for a shocking ending, but the ending of the story for me was like a punchline that fell flat. like it was meant to be a twist or a lesson.

maybe that's the point, though? i also felt i'd heard this story before. cuz we all have.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 12-18-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INTP
    The purpose of the end was so that fewer people would reach the conclusions @pensive_pilgrim reached.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I think part of why it has a wide such a wide circulation is the tendency people have to pick a side. The discussion I seem to be seeing everywhere is 'who is the baddie in this story?' A lot of other people like to talk about how poorly written it is but it seemed pretty well written to me, I don't know what I'm not seeing about the prose that everybody else seems to. Having said that, I did roll my eyes at the ending.
    ∴ ∵ ∴

Apparently my flirt recognition sensors are set way too high. I'd think nothing of being on either side of the "odd choice for a snack" conversation in the beginning. That's flirting? Holy shit.

The rest just seems like immaturity on her side and him having some kind of craving for that immaturity on his side. The overthinking going on in this girls head was excruciating.

“Oh, sweetheart,” he said. “Oh, honey, it’s O.K., it’s all right. Please don’t feel bad.”
    That bit there. Is she your daughter or your date? Same with the sweetheart forehead kiss earlier. Seems he gets off on playing daddy, and of course, that's apparently the two places in the story that turned her on the most as well.

She'll get the hang of dating at 40 after 20 years of practicing, but by then will resign to just having cats instead.

He'll end with a mail order bride that never consummates the marriage and dumps him as soon as she figures out the green card system.

Happy ending for several dozen cats and one mail order bride! What a great story!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    If Sinny said her quote like Larry David.
    Quote Originally Posted by SinnyDavid View Post
    Some men are dicks, some women are dicks... Admittedly more men are dicks... *nodding and grinning* And quite frankly, haha sometimes I like to look at dicks. *waves finger* Not all dicks -there's a lot defective ones out there so I'm picky about my dicks. But a nice smoothe 6.5" very girthy dick? *kisses fingers* -you have to admit... that's a pretty good dick. Prettay, prettay, pretty good. Anyway, wise up, and get on with life ya buncha dicks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Can someone provide a cliff notes I got 5 mins before work starts
    Men who try to date women 14 years younger generally aren't a big prize. Women 14 years younger are generally stupid or to put it more kindly, immature.

Type
    INTP
    She did kiss him. Obviously after that it would have been weird for either of them to back out.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    She did kiss him. Obviously after that it would have been weird for either of them to back out.

Type
    INFP
    ^I can't believe I'm having a Drew Gulak sighting in the wild! He's amazing!

Wrt the OP. I read it thinking it was nonfiction and found the guy's confidence wildly inconsistent. Obvious amalgamation.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?