View Poll Results: Can covering yourself in black bloc make you a conspirator to your group's crimes?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 100.00%
  • no

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Bloc Criminal Conspirators

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    everyone arrested wasn’t even doing black bloc. i’ve been reading that there were average protestors, journalists and medics contained in that kettle. they were arrested and are being charged for basically being in a large group. i don’t think anybody honestly thinks the point of this is to prove each individual was personally responsible for criminal actions. it’s to set an example.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INTP
    @Micawber

So, a few years ago, when the Vancouver Canucks lost the Stanley Cup to the Boston Bruins in game 7 of the playoff finals, in Vancouver, there were riots in the streets...people wearing Vancouver Canucks jerseys, busting up windows and looting shops, etc. Association with a group does not equal association with the criminality of that group.

Suppose I attended an Occupy rally, and everyone was wearing printed tees with some relevant message on them...and then a few people at the rally, wearing the shirts, started engaging in criminal activity. Association with the criminals does not make the rest of the t-shirt wearing crowd into aides or abetters.

The KKK can burn a cross or whatever they do, and it doesn't implicate all of them.

The thug and the lookout are actually participating in the crime...the thug, by intimidating potential interveners, and the lookout, by actively informing the criminals so that they can adapt their approach and successfully commit the crime. Sitting in the back of the getaway car as a passenger as it waits for the robbers, is not a crime...because you're not aiding...even though you may associate with the driver and the robbers.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    so the first group of j20 defendants were found not guilty of all charges.

quote from a juror:
    It was not a close call. The prosecution admitted the morning of day one that they would present no evidence that any of the defendants committed any acts of violence or any vandalism. From that point, before the defense ever uttered a sound, it was clear to me that ultimately we would find everyone not guilty. And while there was a great deal of careful discussion among the jurors, it ultimately at no point … did it seem even possible that a guilty verdict would come down. This was not close.
    the prosecution is full of shit. 188 more are set to go on trial.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    The KKK can burn a cross or whatever they do, and it doesn't implicate all of them.
    Uhh... kinda does. I mean, if someone says they are in the KKK, the first thing you think of is burning crosses, lynching, and oppressive racist behaviors, and you almost certainly have a negative judgment of them for that.

Let's say some people dress up in Klan garb, and attend a rally/march. At that event, unbeknownst to them, a plan was carried out to burn a cross on someone's lawn. Let's further say the police kettle them, and seek to prosecute the whole group of sheet wearers for the act. Still feel the same?
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INtP
    This is only tangentially related, but I'll mention it here since the google-hole from this thread led me to this info: Today I learned Donald Trump's dad was arrested during an altercation between the KKK and cops. Maybe he got swept up in a cop kettle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Yeah, and that's also kinda the point of wearing the stuff, to make it hard to prove anything.
    Not really. Covering your face makes it harder to get on a list, or to be discriminated by your boss, or to be persecuted. I'll give you that. But dressing the same does more to single you out as part of a group than to make you blend in with a larger crowd of protestors. I would say it runs contrary to basic survival tactics.

Black Bloc don't care. Black Bloc don't give a fuck.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTx
    Black bloc is a tactic to commit mayhem in anonymity. There are people who support that tactic, the illiberal left.

The prosecutor made a valid analogy in comparing the culpability of those concealing their identity in black bloc to the culpability of a bank robbery get away driver. Alas it was a tough sale to a jury in a city that voted 90% for Hillary.

Violence, property damage, and impeding others' freedom of movement is not protected free speech. And those who facilitate that behavior share in the culpability, even if their contribution is limited to being part of the black mass providing cover for the perpetrators.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Black bloc is a tactic to commit mayhem in anonymity. There are people who support that tactic, the illiberal left.
    As opposed to those that wear white robes and hoods. There are people that support that tactic. The GOP.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    As opposed to those that wear white robes and hoods.
    Good analogy. Same tactic of group members hiding their identity to commit mayhem.

There are people that support that tactic. The GOP.
    Almost nobody supports Klan violence these days and it wasn't the party of Lincoln where it had its roots.

Same can't be said for black bloc tactics. It seems to have plenty of supporters. How about you - are you down with smashing the corporations' property and punching the Nazis?

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Good analogy. Same tactic of group members hiding their identity to commit mayhem.

Almost nobody supports Klan violence these days and it wasn't the party of Lincoln where it had its roots.

Same can't be said for black bloc tactics. It seems to have plenty of supporters. How about you - are you down with smashing the corporations' property and punching the Nazis?
    Well... the President certainly seems reluctant to denounce Klan violence.

And the 1% and corporations just legally stole more than a trillion dollars off the American people which, according to a survey by Yale University, 90% of CEO's have no intention of investing back into the domestic economy (most will probably be used for stock buy backs and dividend payouts).

In the words of Trump to his rich mates "you all just got a lot richer".