Thread: Anyone have no decorative items?

Type
    INTP

Anyone have no decorative items?

My bedroom is almost devoid of purely decorative items. I was wondering whether you could do a living room like that and have it look normal. I think you could. I think the rules should be that books don't count as decorative even if you don't read them, as long as they're real books. Plants are decorative unless they grow something that you use. Items that you use aren't decorative. Mirrors aren't decorative whether you use them or not. Fake fire places are decorative unless they provide heat and real ones aren't even if you don't use them.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    it is only in recent years that i have taken on decorations, and for the most part they have been bestowed upon me... i think other than leaving metal art sitting out, i have bothered with putting up only one... that was installed because it was in the way of something... i like decorative things, but i don't see much purpose in them at present...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I consider anything decorative if the purpose in placing it was decoration.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INtP
    I've never placed a high priority on spending money for purely aesthetic things in any areas of my life (decorations, designer label clothes, make-up). In the past few years, that has changed for me in all areas. I have an ambivalence about the interest though, part of me wonders if I have been in arrested development in this area my whole life and am now catching up, or if this interest is a stupidly superficial "keeping up with joneses" status thing.

As far as decorative pieces, right now I"m sitting in my living room and while there are quite a few decorative items, I've only purchased a couple of them (area rugs). About all the rest are gifted, or my husband brought them into the marriage. I don't really love 95% of them, but I don't hate them either. If you blindfolded me I probably couldn't tell you the location of the paintings. I tend to be a bit oblivious to my surroundings but I do get a bit self-conscious about the non-cohesive decorative style compared to other people's homes.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I only ever had a picture of Che up, but that's not decorative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INtP
    I love art and actually consider myself an aesthete. I do a kind of design for a living and am something of an artist in my spare time. I also like fashion and makeup and enjoy crafting my appearance. BUT I canít stand knickknacks. I have almost no decor for the sake of decor. Everything in my personal space has a purpose. Purely decorative stuff has been gifts, and I recently tossed most of it (as I periodically get an itch to toss half my stuff and feel FREEEEEE!). That said, I am not utilitarian at all and consider function without form to be poor design. I love for things to be beautiful in addition to serving their purpose.

Type
    intp
    I don't like useless knick-knacks. I like things that have some kind of purpose. But also a few nice pictures on the wall can be nice. I like framing maps and putting them on the wall.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    My bedroom is almost devoid of purely decorative items. I was wondering whether you could do a living room like that and have it look normal. I think you could. I think the rules should be that books don't count as decorative even if you don't read them, as long as they're real books. Plants are decorative unless they grow something that you use. Items that you use aren't decorative. Mirrors aren't decorative whether you use them or not. Fake fire places are decorative unless they provide heat and real ones aren't even if you don't use them.
    Why did you place this thread in the welcome center?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Why did you place this thread in the welcome center?
    I think I wanted it in the Pub and I was thinking "the top" but it's not the very top.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I think I wanted it in the Pub and I was thinking "the top" but it's not the very top.
    I will move it to the pub for you.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle