Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince me I need to buy this...

Type
    XXXX

Convince me I need to buy this...

I received a relatively large, unforeseen amount of money over the holidays and am having a hard time containing my animal spirit. On the one hand, I could pay off bills and get a hotel to spend a night in the city like my girlfriend's been asking for. On the other hand, I could buy this....

http://lavvu.com/

please convince me I need the lavvu.
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    I was thinking of buying a tent with no immediate purpose too but it would be a backpacking tent. Yours would be half lawn decoration. Buy a nice shed instead. It would cost more though.

Or a gazebo.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I was thinking of buying a tent with no immediate purpose too but it would be a backpacking tent. Yours would be half lawn decoration. Buy a nice shed instead. It would cost more though.
    I have a backpacking tent...several. This would be for truck camping over multiple days,possibly ice fishing. Plus I can have a fire or stove in there, unlike any other tent, to stay warm during the winter. Also, you're failing this thread.

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    I have a backpacking tent...several. This would be for truck camping over multiple days,possibly ice fishing. Plus I can have a fire or stove in there, unlike any other tent, to stay warm during the winter. Also, you're failing this thread.
    I imagine it's very rarely used for camping so I figure it's not a good choice. You have to stay awake with a fire so you might as well be outside next to a non-tented fire.

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I imagine it's very rarely used for camping so I figure it's not a good choice. You have to stay awake with a fire so you might as well be outside next to a non-tented fire.
    The whole point is camping in it!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have some friends with a tipi. It's a bitch to set up but once it is up, it's where everyone wants to be, especially if it's cold. It's pretty cool to be able to cook indoors while camping too. It would be a terrible choice for backpacking if you don't have pack animals. If you plan to mostly solo camp, you'll want to go with the smaller one.

My friends made their tipi...I think they smoked canvas to waterproof it or something...they are extremely atavistic people. They belonged to a group called the pre-1840s society, and they did camping reenactments and stuff. I think you might enjoy it if you can find a chapter.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    INtipicomplex.com
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I have some friends with a tipi. It's a bitch to set up but once it is up, it's where everyone wants to be, especially if it's cold. It's pretty cool to be able to cook indoors while camping too. It would be a terrible choice for backpacking if you don't have pack animals. If you plan to mostly solo camp, you'll want to go with the smaller one.

My friends made their tipi...I think they smoked canvas to waterproof it or something...they are extremely atavistic people. They belonged to a group called the pre-1840s society, and they did camping reenactments and stuff. I think you might enjoy it if you can find a chapter.
    The group your friend belongs to sounds cool. Sami tipis are small tipis, and squat. Supposedly this one only takes one person 15 minutes to set up. There's even a video on it!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    The group your friend belongs to sounds cool. Sami tipis are small tipis, and squat. Supposedly this one only takes one person 15 minutes to set up. There's even a video on it!
    http://www.floridafrontiersmen.com/i...for-beginners/

I couldn't find their group, but this sounds similar. I went to a few of these with borrowed clothes when I was in my 20s and learned all kinds of atavistic skills, like baking on a campfire, braintanning leather, and basic blacksmithing. I even got into flintlock shooting...I have a 50 cal flintlock rifle that is so much fun to shoot, though it is hard to get your hands on the right powders post 9-11.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    Here's something more serious and less "look, I'm being an Indian!":

https://www.montanacanvas.com/produc...0-oz-wall-tent