Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: BarIII's DIY workshop

Type
    IXTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I'll be trying to sell something I make and I'm choosing between Ebay and Amazon.
    Etsy is another option too.

Type
    INTP
    I got my split ring pliers and a set of rifflers.

I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    I'm trying to order 100 of something on Alibaba for the same price they go for on Ebay and Amazon, including shipping. I'm not sure it works like that but I need the ones from this particular manufacturer because they're stainless steel instead of carbon steel so I could file out any defects like the ones that half the carbon steel ones have, without worrying about removing the rust resistant coating. Also, these don't have a misleading stamp and the one pictured doesn't have the defect. The stainless versions run about the same price as the carbon steel ones on Ebay so maybe I'll get my price. Everything on Alibaba seems to be a negotiation. And yes, I tried a US company first. No response.

So I may have to make new jigs if I can get these ones. If I can't get a decent price or if the SS proves too weak like some reviews said, I have to keep looking.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    IXTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I'm not sure it works like that but I need the ones from this particular manufacturer because they're stainless steel instead of carbon steel so I could file out any defects like the ones that half the carbon steel ones have, without worrying about removing the rust resistant coating.
    You could always Hot blue the steel parts to protect them against corrosion.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    You could always Hot blue the steel parts to protect them against corrosion.
    That would give the product an unusual look if I blue the entire thing and I'd have to wash off the chemicals well enough. The product is small and I think I'd have to get the bluing solution on a part that makes "incidental food contact." I'd sooner file it and leave it unprotected. The corner I'd be filing doesn't make incidental food contact.

Type
    INTP
    I was looking through my old Ebay orders and discovered that I bought a link spring pusher (or remover or something) for watches or watch bands and I don't know where I put it.

Early Sunday morning I received a metal punch. One of the Whitney No. 5 copies. I had a real Whitney No. 5 20 years ago but it was stolen. I remember being on the machinery forum or something on CompuServe saying that I want to try a non-Whitney version to replace it to save money and people thought I was the devil. Now the copies are about 1/3 the cost and if they're not as good I don't know how. The people today who say Whitneys are better are probably just assuming it, and I assume it too, but the online world is big enough that you can find lots of experienced people who purchased copies and gave them good reviews. Screw the old-days people. I told you so.

I want an arbor press. A Whitney No. 5 has a little over a ton of force. I wonder how a one ton arbor press would compare. I guess I should go with at least two tons if I want the punching to be easier but I think there's a chance the one ton arbor press would be easier than my possibly-over-one-ton hand punch. At three tons, I think I could use dies to make key chain or EDC size tools out of stainless steel. But I'm still not getting one for now.

A company I found on Alibaba charges $40 shipping from China for the 100 items I wanted. Compare to Ebay and Amazon where I could get cheap but, I guess, lower quality shipping with no tracking for the same items. So I found an Ebay seller who agreed to my price for a larger quantity than he usually sells and after four or five attempts to change his listing for me, all of which failed, I ordered from him. I had to specify in a note what I should actually receive per our correspondence. I assume he'll send be the 100 agreed on rather than 40 that it may appear to the public that I ordered.

Type
    INTP
    I'm tearing open my mattress to try to fix some of the pocket springs. I don't know how I'm going to do it yet. I have to open it more and take away some of the shredded fabric to visualize things better. This is one reason to stick with traditional coil springs where they're all joined together. This bed is better when I sleep on my side though.

That sunken section is where I press down with my hand to get out of bed. I should have rotated the mattress.

...I removed about 12 jumbled springs that tore through their sleeves. The sleeves help prevent them from intertwining.

"Each sock/pocket is then fused to its neighbour until a large rectangle of pocketed springs results. This unit forms the backbone of a pocket coil mattress."

I may find a suitable fabric and use fabric glue for all that. It should work but this is a "first thing in the morning" job because of the glue.
    Last edited by BarIII; 01-20-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    Etsy is another option too.
    I'm going to look into Etsy tonight. I can begin selling at any time.

Just came from a small fabric store that sells upholstery fabric but not nonwovens so I was considering burlap (to wrap the mattress springs) but then I found thick linen scrap for $1.00 so I bought that.

Type
    INTP
    My new obscure tool, a "cast steel reverse angle nip" (corner rounding punch).

Type
    INTP
    I just ordered a used Whitney 7A punch with a stand. I tried not to but it happened. My project better work out.

And a proper grinding wheel dresser because the one that comes with my bit sharpener was taking much too long to fix a badly worn grinding wheel.