Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BarIII's DIY workshop

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx

BarIII's DIY workshop

This is a place for @BarIII to post about all that garbage he's always pretending to tinker with.

Sarcasm is welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Type
    INTP
    I've been separating metal from plastic long before mandatory recycling.

I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    IXTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I've been separating metal from plastic long before mandatory recycling.

I knew you were old, but I didn't think you were that old.

Type
    INTP
    I use paper clips but no longer for repairs. I switched to bale and jewelery wire. Here's some old repair work with a paper clip compared with newer repair work. I up my game every 20 years or so. I think in 20 years I'll have a drill press and I'll cut the handle at the bottom so I could drill holes to rejoin the halves with steel pegs.
    Actually, I have a kiln that just needs a new cord. I can heat the handle and bend out one side, let it cool, drill one hole, insert a peg, heat it again and bend it back. The hole doesn't even have to be perfect because it doesn't have to match one on the other side. As long as the peg fits snug I won't even need glue.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    IXTP
    A kiln is overkill. Can't you just use a blowtorch?

Also, wouldn't it be easier to go to Home Depot and purchase new drawer pulls? That seems easier than some janky ghetto fix.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    A kiln is overkill. Can't you just use a blowtorch?

Also, wouldn't it be easier to go to Home Depot and purchase new drawer pulls? That seems easier than some janky ghetto fix.
    Yeah, but my choice is between buying a cord and having a working kiln or buying a blowtorch and still having a nonworking kiln.

I'd need 15 new draw pulls if I wanted everything to match.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Yeah, but my choice is between buying a cord and having a working kiln or buying a blowtorch and still having a nonworking kiln.

I'd need 15 new draw pulls if I wanted everything to match.
    Right--but that's like saying you don't need a hammer to pound in a nail because you have a screwdriver that just needs to have the handle replaced.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Right--but that's like saying you don't need a hammer to pound in a nail because you have a screwdriver that just needs to have the handle replaced.
    More like saying you don't need a hammer because you have a nailgun that needs its cord replaced.

Type
    INTP
    I was never comfortable with compressed flammable gas around the apartment anyway. I even bought a fire extinguisher when I bought my laptop.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    More like saying you don't need a hammer because you have a nailgun that needs its cord replaced.
    A blowtorch provides spot heat. Kilns are a heated chamber. It doesn't sound like he needs to heat the whole object, and it would be easier to work if he could keep the peak heat at the section he wants to be malleable. If your entire workpiece is raised to malleable, you have a much harder time with workholding and isolating how the shape changes. Consequently, I don't think a kiln is the right tool for the job--if he were just heat treating something, then yeah, a kiln is perfect.

There may be some feature of his kiln that is going to make it work well as a forge. Maybe it has a hot spot to exploit--my last forge design used a kiln atmospheric burner, but that's clearly not the sort he's using. A burner based kiln still has a jet of concentrated heat. My experience with electric kilns is that they're like giant toasters, which is great when doing work where even heating of the workpiece is your main concern--like firing clay or annealing or other heat treatment. Not so great for heating for shaping and forming. You can do it, just as you can use a screwdriver to pound a nail, or a hammer to drive a screw, but I'd expect it not to work well and require more work to get to "good enough".
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)