Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: BarIII's DIY workshop

Colymbosathon ecplecticos
    Type
    INTP
    I just ordered the above expensive US made tool plus a $34.72 (including shipping) punch and die set for it (one little punch and one little die for a 5/16" hole) and today I'm shopping for a cheap adjustable wrench in the dollar store. I'm shooting for around $3-$5. As long as the worm screw turns easily enough and it doesn't look like total crap.

Type
    INTP
    My new punch from Ebay. Tomorrow I make a proper base for it.

It came with this Jesus pamphlet that TELLS me I'm a sinner. I have to decide whether that should affect my review.

Type
    INTP
    I upgraded my fastener box so everything fits comfortably. Used to be I only needed two little compartments in a toolbox. Now I arguably have too much for one box.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I upgraded my fastener box so everything fits comfortably. Used to be I only needed two little compartments in a toolbox. Now I arguably have too much for one box.

And the punch is amazing. Twice as much tons of force as the Whitney 5 Jr. but seems way more than twice as easy compared to the Whitney 5 Jr. knockoff that I tried, even with a larger hole. The punch and mount that I bought used for about $150 would cost over $400 new.

Type
    INTP
    I'll be taking an existing product and adding a build-in feature. I'm 99% sure the product is a Chinese knockoff of a product that used to be made in the USA by a company that no longer exists and there wouldn't be a patent violation or risk of being sued. I'm thinking of terms I may want to use. Remanufactured and rebuilt means fixed and used, I think. I would be fixing it somewhat but I have a feeling there's a better term. Maybe I'll say it's an upgrade. I think I'll avoid "new and improved." I may just say "[product] with [new feature]".

I finished the base of the punch so I can clamp it to my sawhorse. One of the 1/4" x 6" lag screws joining the 2x4s broke probably because I forgot to counterbore a hole for the shank, but assuming it broke between the threads and the shank it's probably strong enough.

There's a YouTube video of a guy building a base like that for a vice but his is ridiculously thin and weak at the bolt holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Type
    INTP
    I think I'll use Fulfilled by Amazon. I'm reading about their brand registry now. I'd like a picture of my product on their shelves at a couple of different distances. It would be like seeing a picture of the starving African child you're helping feed, except with shelves. It adds value.

Type
    INTP
    What a PITA Amazon is. I need two layer authentication to log in as a seller and I just have one phone so I need an app to generate authentication codes. I didn't want a Microsoft account linked to my phone because it caused problems but now I need one so I could install an app hopefully for one use only. I don't have data set up on my phone because it will download stuff unexpectedly and explode in your pocket so I roamed around in the middle of the night and got a wifi connection outside for five minutes but that wasn't long enough to find an app, log in with my MS account and download anything so I have to go somewhere tomorrow just for wifi. And Amazon made me give all my financial information BEFORE I knew about these other requirements.

I got a screw pitch gauge.

Type
    INTP
    I sent my product to Amazon today. Labels were much harder than I thought but I got it done. I'm blaming my printer. I think toner missed the labels numerous times. I hope it got fused to something, rendering the nanoparticles harmless. I want a new printer now.

Type
    INTP
    I'm going to visit a lot that I own that's been used by an unauthorized person to see if I could find any identifying information in his stuff and I'll have to climb a fence. I'm not certain that there's a section without any fence wire sticking up past the bar. I want to bring some kind of climbing aid that I could make cheaply and fit in a backpack. I'm thinking of tying some sections of 2x4 to the fence with rope. If I want to communicate something with him I'll cut the lock and leave a note but I don't want that right now. I'm not sure I'll bring cardboard to cover the top of the fence in case it's pointy from the fence wire. If I over rely on it and it tears I'll be stuck, plus it may affect my grip, but maybe I'll bring some and see if I can slip it over just the fence wire and not the bar.