Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Year I Bought...

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner

Lightbulb This Year I Bought...

Review your Amazon history and post the most useful things you bought this year, and how they've improved your everyday life.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I bought a lot of stuff this year, but the most enjoyable two purchases turned out to be a printer and a microwave.

The printer eliminated the necessity of having to go to the library or a copy shop for every little printout. Online tickets, weekly plans, return shipping labels, envelopes, letters, notes... one second of hitting Ctrl + P instead of spending an hour dealing with people. Bliss, pure bliss.

The microwave just arrived today so I don't have an elaborate rave yet, except that heating up a frozen burrito now takes three minutes instead of an overnight stay in the fridge + 40 minutes in the oven.

Edit:

Just noticed the microwave can obviously also reheat cold tea. My life is complete.
    Last edited by Horatio; 12-30-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Type
    intp
    - an i5 cpu, motherboard, and 16gb ram to replace my 11 year old computer that was struggling to browse the internet. I literally starved myself for months, saving $20-100/fortnight of my unemployment payments. I was able to ramp up the personal studying thing after that and got a job as a programmer finally. (hurray)
    - the guy who ran me over bought me a new identical bike. I bought a sweet mountain bike with my first paycheck. Haven't ridden much. I resurrected the old bike with slightly bent frame. 3 bikes. hurray.
    - various small items.

Type
    INTP
    A Bolt Power D28A 500 Peak Amp Portable Jump Starter with Air Compressor.
    Very handy for what should be obvious reasons.

A 1.5 Qt Slow Cooker
    Again, should be obvious. More options to prepare food at home.

A Valk-3 3x3 magnetic speed cube.
    I tend to need to fidget with something while I brainstorm, lest I wind up pacing. Sure, I have other cubes, but this one suited the purpose of mindless and/or idle scrambling/solving uniquely well for some reason. Also, rather quiet turning, so, I can get away with it at work.

A Gerber Paraframe II folding Knife
    Very portable and handy for general box-opening, cord-cutting, and other such ad hoc cutting tasks.

A GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 graphics card.
    Ok, only "useful" in the sense of playing what PC games I want to w/o issue, heh.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    The printer eliminated the necessity of having to go to the library or a copy shop for every little printout. Online tickets, weekly plans, return shipping labels, envelopes, letters, notes... one second of hitting Ctrl + P instead of spending an hour dealing with people. Bliss, pure bliss.
    YES. If you want to up your life satisfaction, get a printer. I can't even mention how many times the thought "wait, but I have a printer to do that" has made my day.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    INTP
    Regarding printers -- yeah. I obtained a business-market HP laserjet printer like over a decade ago, and thank myself for it every time I print something out. Replaced the toner maybe twice in over ten years, no b.s. ink refill b.s., no b.s. proprietary software nonsense, etc. Just prints. Awesome.

Same goes for a scanner. Very handy to have.

Type
    iNtP
    Raspberry pi's (i love this stuff)

a coin of the magi (ive been coin collecting since a kid and biblical coins just roxx my socks)

a4-a3 laminator - these are awesome
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Amazon? Best Buy price matches and I can walk to the store to return so I didn't use Amazon, but here's my new toaster oven as it appears on Amazon.

I bought a ton of 80 cent items from china, shipping included. I'm curious about the reason for the low postage cost deal they have with America. My only guess is that it's so we can sanction them and there goes their whole economy.

A laptop, a fire extinguisher, the first jeans I bought in years, and the first sweatpants I bought ever. And the first beer that I drank in its entirety (over three days).
    Last edited by BarIII; 12-30-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i’m investing in an epson printer for graphics projects, dunno which one yet but i’m excited i won’t be doing late night runs to shitty printers anymore.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
    My cats do not ever get on the counters anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I travel a lot. This is an excellent bag. It's intentionally sized to fill the maximum carry on size allowed on international flights. It was less expensive when I bought it. I got the emerald green one for me and the brushed indigo one for my husband. I got some packing cubes too.

Because regular cat laser toys suck. These use AAA batteries and you don't have to hold the button down.

This was my first Amazon purchase of 2017. My order total was 19.45 and now this thing is nearly 50 bucks? wtf? It's not a 50 dollar Uke. It's got a plastic body and ... well I mean it doesn't sound bad, but it feels more like a toy than an instrument. I got it to make sure I was actually going to do this rather than just throw it on the pile of things I thought I was going to learn. I have a nicer one now, but this is the one I learned on, and I still play it sometimes. If I had not made this 20 dollar impulse buy, I would not know how to play a uke now, so it was an impactful purchase even though it has been largely replaced already with a Cordoba concert uke.

Going through my 2017 purchases was sort of a time reflection. I had purchases for the grand canyon trip, I had a purchase for Inky's arthritis supplements, then a purchase for a nameplate for his urn, then a purchase for a whole bunch of cat supplies for new cats, purchases for the Japan trip, purchases for the New Mexico Colorado trip, purchases for birthdays, for home repairs, etc. My year in purchases ... a very visual roadmap of the memories.

Good thread idea.

Edit: I did some investigating...almost everything I bought is far more expensive now. WTF?
    Last edited by Sistamatic; 12-30-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle