Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking

Sysop
    Type
    INTP

Smoking

Do you smoke?
    What are your opinions about/experiences with it?

I've only tried smoking once, as a teenager. Got halfway through a cigarette before a headache hit. Never tried it again, never considered it since.

Personally, I feel that people should be free to do whatever they want (as long as they neither threaten or cause harm to others), so I don't have a problem with smoking. I'm not very well informed on the idea of "second hand smoke", but I admit I'm not too comfortable with it, so I tend to avoid it. Otherwise, I find it to be something of a vice, but again, live and let live, I guess. There are worse vices you could have, as well.

Type
    INTP
    It's a vice I'm attracted to, but don't really become addicted/dependent on. I've smoked nearly every day for about 9 months in the past, and stopped cold turkey without any cravings. I took it up again briefly at the end of last year, but quit as part of a tandem agreement with someone and haven't picked it up again.

For some reason, it's also environment dependent for me. I don't usually want to smoke in the U.S. I'm not sure why that is, if our cigarettes are different or what (they do almost seem "heavier" if that makes sense). Maybe it has to do with stress/relaxation, since cigarettes can actually cause me anxiety.

Type
    INTP
    Cigarette smoke gives me an asthma attack so I stay away from it. Plus, the smell is vile. I try to avoid buying foods owned by tobacco companies do I don't inadvertently support them.

One of my neighbors switched to those e-cigs about a year ago, he loves them. Does anyone here use those?
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    I went through a phase of smoking when someone would offer me a cigarette while I was drinking. I don't really know why. I always regretted it the next morning when my mouth tasted like ass and I stank.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've been an off-and-on smoker since age 14. Real addiction hit somewhere in my early 20's, when I tried to stop and discovered I no longer could. I now count five serious attempts that ended in failure since that point.

It's terrible, obviously harming me, wastes money, and is gross in various ways. It's also really too damn satisfying to resist after a period of deprivation. Sometimes it's a nice excuse to take a quick break from something, where I otherwise wouldn't feel like I had a good reason to just walk away for a few minutes.

I enjoy the smell and taste of tobacco. There's a brand of cigarettes here which has a very strong flavor to it--sweet, but sweet as a quality of the leaf, not from something added to it.

My son has gotten old enough to understand what I'm doing and talk about it. I had really hoped to quit by this point, but I confess it's been a challenge I haven't been able to overcome.

I tell him it's a bad thing that hurts me but I do it anyway because I made bad decisions when I was younger and it's hard to stop now. I don't know how much of that is comprehensible to a 5-year-old. I try not to do it right in front of him, but he hasn't been fooled for years. That ship sailed a while ago. He tells me stop sometimes. I intend to, when I can pick a high-percentage circumstance in which to do it.

I know I'm making excuses.

My life has involved a lot of sudden and unpredictable change over the last few years. What I've read suggests the psychology of any addiction comes from the way it creates a predictable and regular cycle in your life to comfort you with the familiarity. Statistically, your odds of quitting tobacco go up substantially after a year without any changes of employment or residence. As soon as I can achieve a year without any changes of job or residence, I'll probably give it another go at that point.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    This should be a poll to build your intp demographic database.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    xxxx
    i've only smoked hookah socially. smoking is one area where my health freak-ness sorta comes out, plus i hate the smell of almost any kind of smoke unless it's sweet.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I had an encounter with one of the rare endangered California smokers in its natural habitat at least 20 feet from the door to an office building. I would have taken a picture so you all would believe me, but I was afraid to startle him. But seriously, he's a fairly cool co-worker and we drove to lunch together. He smells really bad, and it bothered me the whole ride there. I'd sort of forgotten how unpleasant smokers smell and makes me wonder how I ever was one.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    xxxx
    The other day I got recruited by a tobacco company to test out new cigarettes. I'm not sure if I wanna do it because I hate being tested on for market research, but I get heaps of free packets.

I've smoked pall mall menthol slims for 4 years. It's got pros and cons.

I once quit for a couple of months and wasn't allowed to donate blood because my blood pressure dropped dramatically.

Type
    intp
    I enjoy smoking, but I can feel it wear on my teeth. Something happened where I suddenly found it distasteful, and now I'll bum a cigarette and I barely enjoy it. I like to think that The Universe is giving me a break because It knows that I can't resist temptation otherwise.