Thread: MP3 player or new phone

Type
    INTP

MP3 player or new phone

So I recently had my trusty Cowon J3 MP3 player stolen. I could do with a new phone which might do the job of replacing my MP3 player, but I'm wary of sound quality from a non-dedicated music player, and it's kinda nice having a MP3 player that I can use without draining my phone's battery.

Any recommendations of MP3 players and/or android phones with good sound quality? I'd prefer to avoid apple.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    Any recommendations of MP3 players and/or android phones with good sound quality? I'd prefer to avoid apple.
    You could get a used Zune. Real cheap for the quality.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Headphones and file quality will matter more than the device being used to play them for something battery powered. If you listen to music a lot I'd recommend a Sansa Clip+. The battery life is great, the microSD slot makes for plenty of storage, it's super compact but feels good in the hand. I've had mine for years and it's rock solid. Oh and the price is hard to beat. You can get a factory refurbished one for under 20 bucks.

Type
    INTP
    One other thing: it needs to play FLAC. I do have good headphones so I'm mostly concerned about the internal amp. It needs to drive a pair of fullsize ~50 ohm headphones (senn hd518s & audio technica ath-m50s) and sound good. I suspect some of those tiny players or a phone might not supply enough juice.

Type
    INTP
    Oh. Yeah, the clip+ plays FLAC fine but I don't know if it will be able to drive those. Are you out walking around with those? Headphone amps are cheap, portable ones not as much, but even a $60 portable one should work for you. I would just get a pair of Koss Portapros though, cheaper and more portable and they sound awesome.

Type
    INTP
    Don't really wanna carry around a headphone amp, so I'm looking for a player with a hefty enough internal amp to drive my headphones. My old J3 did a great job of it so I know it's possible. Looking around at reviews, this one might fit the bill:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio...e-music-player

Type
    INTP
    Considering FiiO seems to be more known for their headphone amps, I'd say that's a good bet. They are apparently about to come out with a newer model, the X5, looks pretty awesome but it won't be out here until March.

Type
    INTP
    Dang, that X5 looks badass, I might have to wait.