View Poll Results: Which team would hypothetically have won challenge one?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • TeresaJ and Makers!*

2 22.22%
  • MarkovChain and Lordlatch

2 22.22%
  • Hephaestus and Polemarch

0 0%
  • Stigmatica and Revenant

3 33.33%
  • Robcore and Sistamatic

2 22.22%

Thread: North American Odyssey Winners Poll!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

North American Odyssey Winners Poll!

A reminder -- these were the parameters of the contest

Hypothetically travel from Mexico City to Fairbanks, Alaska under the following conditions.

1. No air travel. No ocean travel.
    2. You cannot use electronics.
    3. Your jobs and families are in a state of suspended animation for the duration of the trip. You need not worry about maintaining them.
    4. You cannot own a vehicle for the duration of the race.
    5. Players do not have any form of identification for the duration of the trip and can bring no personal items other than the clothes you decide to wear when you leave, a good knife, and a backpack full of whatever you decide to bring (provided it does not violate any of the other rules.)
    6. Each team starts with a waterproof bag containing 1 million (hypothetical) dollars in cash split three ways between US dollars, Canadian dollars, and Mexican Pesos in large bills (so you can carry it). All money that is used during the trip must come from this money. No player can earn or accept any additional money.
    7. You have one year to make the trip. The team that has the most money left upon arriving in Fairbanks gets to keep the money, and therefore is the winner. (Who gets there first doesn't matter, provided they arrive within a year.)

Assume, for the purposes of weather conditions, that day one of the trip is Jan 1, 2018.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The poll is open for 24 hours...I think. Where it said "Poll closes _____ days after today," I put "1." I find that wording to be insufficiently succinct. It will close when it closes, probably in 24 hours.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    The poll is open for 24 hours...I think. Where it said "Poll closes _____ days after today," I put "1." I find that wording to be insufficiently succinct. It will close when it closes, probably in 24 hours.
    This is the sort of message you'd get regarding the airlock if your starship AI was INTP.
    He was old when I met him. I doubt that's changed with the passage of time.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Congrats @stigmatica and @Revenant! Enjoy your hypothetical riches! What will you hypothetically spend it on?

Type
    INtP
    There are 10 participants in the contest, and only nine votes?!

For Heph and Polemarch with 0 votes

(I apologize for the hugeness)

Type
    INTP
    I took it to mean the forum at large would vote, not the players. I did not vote.

Type
    INTP
    I forgot to vote..

Would have voted Stig & Rev.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Since we won - this is what I think happened:

Both Stigs and TeresaJ pre-arranged for their friends to take us on the journey. We agreed to team up so there'd be a tie, and bought only a bottle of Tequila each for the night before. The four of us drank the lot around the table. At some point in the early hours, Stigs was heavily engrossed in a conversation with another tourist. Teresa had passed out, and Makers was in incredibly drunk. So much so that I convinced him to buy another round for us both, which he conveniently couldn't remember the next day.

We set off groggily in the morning and had a pleasant road trip, camping along the way and smuggled across the borders in the trunks of the cars.

Sista's team didn't make it out of Mexico on account of getting to use a photo album as ID. Hephetus and Polemarch tried a similar trick to us, but the car broke down halfway and they had to dip into the money to fix it.

We got out of the cars in Fairbanks and walked the last hundred yards, gleefully dropping our bags over the finishing line. The judges counted up the cash, and mysteriously found that mine and Stigs bag contained but a few pesos more - the exact value of a few shots of tequila.

Type
    INTP
    Dude. Our goal was to show up with a few pesos left. And no debts. The only thing that brokedown was The System's grip on our neck.

Polemarch met a hippy chick who won his heart with her surprising business acumen. He backed her natural cosmetics startup and it took off like spilled petrol in a foundry. She was crazy hot too.

I met a couple Finnish twins with a thing for fantastical bullshit. One likes high fantasy and the other likes fantasy high. They're both amazingly cyberpunk for bikini models, but Scandinavia, y'know? Just stopped by Fairbanks to say "Gratz" before jetting off to Iceland.

The weird part is, we all met in Mexico City.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    4. You cannot own a vehicle for the duration of the race.
    Since I figure Latch could hotwire a vehicle, I would have gone for his team. Two days vs one year, seems like a no brainer.