Thread: Angels and "Highway to Heaven"

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

Angels and "Highway to Heaven"

I think the angel in "Highway to Heaven" could possibly exist in real life - I mean almost everyone he interacts with doesn't notice anything supernatural. If they do they'd just think it happened by chance. Kind of how conspiracy theories could conceivably be true since they also don't predict hard evidence.

He doesn't ever eat, drink or sleep. He has supernatural knowledge of things including the future though he lies about where that information came from. He can make things happen using his thoughts. He can materialize objects out of thin air. He let someone punch him in the face twice without getting hurt to show how he can "turn the other cheek" and then he showed him how superhumanly strong he is. He is very good at changing people for the better.

He sometimes has tears in his eyes because of how he is helping other people. I sometimes get a lot of tears too when watching the show. It is on Netflix now. I used to watch it as a kid. I remember an episode where a girl said she would be a dolphin when she died and later they said that maybe she was... so it isn't really a Christian show which suits me fine.

There are a lot of angels in the Bible but I really like the one portrayed in this show. He goes from place to place helping people without them suspecting the supernatural. I like that version of an angel. He talks about his "boss" rather than calling him God, etc. BTW I don't really believe in the supernatural though the show is really good.

Type
    INTP
    Recently a flatmate wanted me to check out how much "Highway to Heaven" costs on DVD on ebay. He was started to watch it on Netflix. I said he could just watch it on there for free. He later said something about him being on a highway to heaven and he wants me to come too (I don't believe in Heaven). I asked him what he was up to and he said the 4th episode. I asked him if he'd seen the one about the inner city and boxing club. He said that that's the one he's up to. He asked if I knew the gang's name and I said "Satan's angels?". He said he was shocked at it. (he is pretty superstitious)

Tonight my wife and I were trying to find something decent to watch on Netflix then I remembered the show. It said we were up to episode 10. It was about a guy who thinks he's King Arthur. I was tearful at the end. Only about 100 episodes to go...

edit: my flatmate said that he's going to be given it for father's day (sept 4) - apparently it is A$50.

Type
    INTP
    I was watching episode 18 called "A Child of God". Towards the end me and my wife were very teary. It is the saddest episode so far. At the end the pastor told the congregration not to judge others and that it is possible for non-believers to go to Heaven(!). That is very liberal Christianity... but if I became a Christian I think I would be extremely liberal.

I like how there are only two characters that are permanent cast members. Each episode they visit a new town/suburb and a range of new characters are introduced. Then the new characters' lives end up criss-crossing. Also often the (probationary) angel and his partner have a job such as doormen or painters. I think it is the best show I know of in terms of how educational the stories are. It is about people from all walks of life. It explores their personalities and how they can change. The angel and his partner are often responsible for people changing. The angel sometimes helps or deals with people using supernatural trickery. Sometimes he uses miracles to deal with problem people, embarrassing them.
    Last edited by JohnClay; 06-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Type
    INTJ
    Highway to Heaven? Pffff. Their music sucks. I'd rather take this one:

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Highway to Heaven? Pffff. Their music sucks.
    I think the theme song is really good but it is stuck in my head and luckily NetFlix automatically skips the credits and start (the start lasts for 1:30). I like the music during the show too.

I'd rather take this one:

About the only AC/DC song I like is Thunderstruck.

Gassy ~ A 'torm is brew'n Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I have often heard of anecdotal stories where people are fairly confident that something of the type (supernatural "angel?") must have encountered them. I'm not sure how to place such stories yet, or even completely certain that the person vanishing (such as into the snow where the foot tracks lead to an end in the middle of the road, etc.) which kind of sounds similar to stories people have about "Men in Black." I've not really encountered such a situation that convinced me it was a person of supernatural origins, though I have questioned some circumstances that seemed oddly out of place (such as believed people were somehow influenced to act or behave in ways that was not quite their usual behavior.)

Part of skepticism is that the human mind does try to find patterns in observation; and although I very much doubt that we fool ourselves as much as many many would prefer to believe (because doubting claims contrary to conventional belief is much easier than believing in the unexplained) it cannot be completely certain we are dealing with things that aren't part of our own self-deception.

An article to consider Why People Believe Invisible Agents Control the World

I vaguely remember seeing the show Highway to Heaven though was perhaps too young to appreciate it much, and am just now catching up on some of it.
    Last edited by Catoptric; 06-02-2018 at 12:46 AM.