View Poll Results: Which is the worst letter (too hard to write, dumb shape, unoriginal, etc.)

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • q

7 50.00%
  • w

1 7.14%
  • e

1 7.14%
  • r

0 0%
  • t

0 0%
  • y

2 14.29%
  • u

0 0%
  • i

2 14.29%
  • o

1 7.14%
  • p

1 7.14%
  • a

1 7.14%
  • s

0 0%
  • d

1 7.14%
  • f

1 7.14%
  • g

2 14.29%
  • h

0 0%
  • j

1 7.14%
  • k

3 21.43%
  • l

1 7.14%
  • z

0 0%
  • x

2 14.29%
  • c

4 28.57%
  • v

0 0%
  • b

1 7.14%
  • n

0 0%
  • m

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst letter

Type
    INTP

Worst letter

Have you ever formed an opinion of a letter of the alphabet? I have.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    Yes. The letter c.

Type
    INTP
    I chose letters that go under the line in cursive or print. I also chose l because it's too simple and it gets confused with the number 1, and I chose i because of the dumb dot that you may not even be able to see.

C is just half a circle and practically cheating so it an OK choice.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Yes. The letter c.
    This is correct. I also find 'x' equally superfluous. Neither 'c' nor 'x' has a unique sound. It's absurd we have dipthongs when we have such grossly redundant single letters. No good reason for 'q' either, and it's such an eyeroll that it almost never gets used except as a dipthong that could be replaced with a 'k' or 'kw'.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I'm really not a fan of our alphabet in general. It's poorly thought out, boring, and inelegant.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Someone named wjbc in reddit has the following ridiculously clever thing to say on this matter:
    For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
    source
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I'm really not a fan of our alphabet in general. It's poorly thought out, boring, and inelegant.
    Enh. On one hand, schwa is a copout. On the other hand, it makes it so that our spelling is more resistant to phonological variation. This has some bennies--word spelling is more stable, and the influence of dialect is mostly in idioms, not in pronunciation. This cuts down on the number of ways to write the same word. That's handy. If you look at @Sistamatic's link, you'll see some dialect issues coming into play and producing different spelling than you might use, even using their reasonable rule shifts, as they progress.

But the redundancies, the loss of older runic characters for sounds we still have--minor embarrassments.

Not bad though, for being copied and kludged into service.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I chose letters that go under the line in cursive or print. I also chose l because it's too simple and it gets confused with the number 1, and I chose i because of the dumb dot that you may not even be able to see.

C is just half a circle and practically cheating so it an OK choice.
    In shorthand, one relies on the elimination of all redundant information and leans heavily on context and intuition. You should learn it if you are looking to increase your writing speed. If you are looking for increased keyboard efficiency, learn dvorak since our current keyboard configuration was designed specifically to slow us down so we wouldn't tangle the little striker arms on our typewriters.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    intp
    I'm reading this book. It said some interesting things about languages. I'll paraphrase a bit. How, written languages are such a difficult thing to invent from scratch (to form a system of symbols representing spoken sounds, with no precedent), that pretty much all writing systems evolved / were influenced from earlier ones, back to some initial one, probably. And the different kind of languages, where symbols represent: whole words, syllabaries, or letters that combine to form sounds. And then there is the implication that when a different culture copies an existing writing system to create their own, they need to drop some characters, and create some new ones, depending on which sounds exist or don't exist between the two. There was also a case of native americans (I think the Apache native americans, 'Silas John' maybe) who saw the Europeans writing stuff down that represented their speech, and then copied that to create a writing system for their own language, but with limited knowledge about which symbols represented which sounds, and ending up with 'n' maybe representing the sound 'i' or whatever. /ramble. Made me think, a little bit. Also, the phoenician alphabet, which seems to be, maybe, the origin of our western, roman alphabet, where all the letters also are named for things like aleph - ox, beth - house, etc.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    I generally dislike human names that start with F, H, P, O, U, or W, but for pets they're fine.