Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some help organizing PDF's.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
    What is this?
    You can use '*' as a stand-in for things.

"del 123*.exe", for example, will delete every .exe file that starts with "123". Or, "del filename.*" will delete every file that has "filename" without regard to file type. I don't know to what extent CLI supports regular expressions, but it supports at least that much.

My thought was you could give names with useful prefixes to sort by type, then use a batch file to move crap into folders. For example:

MBTI001.pdf
    WAIS001.pdf
    MMPI001.pdf
    MBTI002.pdf
    DISC004.pdf

This could be easily sorted into MBTI, WAIS, MMPI, and DISC folders using command line commands. MBTI*.pdf would select all the pdf's with MBTI as the leading characters, and do whatever the command was to them, whether you wanted to copy them or rename them or whatever. If you can do it to a file, you can do it to all of them.
    He was old when I met him. I doubt that's changed with the passage of time.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    You can use '*' as a stand-in for things.

"del 123*.exe", for example, will delete every .exe file that starts with "123". Or, "del filename.*" will delete every file that has "filename" without regard to file type. I don't know to what extent CLI supports regular expressions, but it supports at least that much.

My thought was you could give names with useful prefixes to sort by type, then use a batch file to move crap into folders. For example:

MBTI001.pdf
    WAIS001.pdf
    MMPI001.pdf
    MBTI002.pdf
    DISC004.pdf

This could be easily sorted into MBTI, WAIS, MMPI, and DISC folders using command line commands. MBTI*.pdf would select all the pdf's with MBTI as the leading characters, and do whatever the command was to them, whether you wanted to copy them or rename them or whatever. If you can do it to a file, you can do it to all of them.
    This is pretty much exactly what I am doing with Zotero.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'