Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Becoming a Multi-Planetary Species

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Pissing money away on the poor is a proven waste OTOH. So let's not even go there.
    I'd like to read that proof. You got it to hand?

Last edited by jyng1; 02-19-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Type
    INTP
    At times, I am forced to use a bit of hyperbole to make a point.

I'm OK with providing universal public services like education and healthcare etc. But those are already funded (for the most part, at least first world ex-US). Money should NOT be redirected from scientific advancement for the sole purpose of increasing the count of humanoids. Which is what most bleeding hearts are referring to with their "money could be better spent" spiel.

Type
    intp
    At times, I am forced to use a bit of hyperbole to make a point.

I'm OK with providing universal public services like education and healthcare etc. But those are already funded (for the most part, at least first world ex-US). Money should NOT be redirected from scientific advancement for the sole purpose of increasing the count of humanoids. Which is what most bleeding hearts are referring to with their "money could be better spent" spiel.

I get what you're saying but the "just giving poor people money" appears to be one of the better ways to fix poverty. Your point of "increasing the count of humanoids" also appears to be better addressed by making people affluent and educated (Europe's reproduction rate is down to nearly half required to replace itself as is Japans). Just from my limited experience, reproducing is a major focus of the poor and uneducated.

Type
    INTP
    I am not in a position to conduct research, but not giving people money would probably put an end to poverty even more effectively than non-stop free lunches. But anyways, feel free to give them yours.

Type
    INTP
    I am not in a position to conduct research, but not giving people money would probably put an end to poverty even more effectively than non-stop free lunches. But anyways, feel free to give them yours.
    Which method are you expecting to present itself: mass starvation or revolt? I'd expect both. Seems to be how it panned out in the past.
    I don't know everything I know, let alone everything I don't.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

I'm losing hope in humanity myself. If we can't get our shit straight enough to be a multi-planetary species then I guess we just didn't cut the mustard. That wouldn't bother me so much if we didn't have a single human being capable of fucking the fermi paradox up the ass. I'd say... well.. maybe next time for some other species and planet. But damnit, that's not the case. There's some of us. A few that see the big picture, the writing on the wall, the resource WASTE... the REAL waste @BarIII - I mean, I get your sentiment but your aim is off target. You want humanity to be around in 5-6 million years, you're barking up the wrong tree. You're looking at the short game, though that's not all bad. It's a hell of a lot better than not even seeing the game. Think about real waste. Consumerism run a muck with no eye on common goals. Resources going down the drain in the name of keeping up with the Jones's. You're right, @BarIII... but at the same time, your target is not correct. Space/science should be the big common goal and personal consumerism should sacrifice for it. Currently, it's the other way round.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Which method are you expecting to present itself: mass starvation or revolt? I'd expect both. Seems to be how it panned out in the past.
    Revolt is definitely an issue. I do actually support a social safety net myself, but only in my regional jurisdiction (my country). I also have no problem with 3rd world countries re-distributing their wealth better. But no flow from my country to theirs (if it was up to me).

I've said it before, and will say it again, until we get unrestricted breeding under control, there is no cure for poverty. And that's a sacred cow to 90% or more of the people in the world, so no hope of any rational discourse on the subject.

Type
    intp

That's the common rationale for austerity and it hasn't been shown to work so far... generally the opposite occurs.

Type
    INTP
    Revolt is definitely an issue. I do actually support a social safety net myself, but only in my regional jurisdiction (my country). I also have no problem with 3rd world countries re-distributing their wealth better. But no flow from my country to theirs (if it was up to me).

I've said it before, and will say it again, until we get unrestricted breeding under control, there is no cure for poverty. And that's a sacred cow to 90% or more of the people in the world, so no hope of any rational discourse on the subject.
    I think I understand you. I agree its a major problem.

The drive for personal genetic legacy is perhaps the most ironic thing we need to evolve away from. It's difficult though because those of us who do almost never pass it on to our offspring....
    I don't know everything I know, let alone everything I don't.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)