Thread: Things to do in Rome

Type
    INTP

Things to do in Rome

Yesterday my mate and I had an idea to get the family together for a trip to Rome. None of us have been there, I've never even been to Europe beyond a work trip long ago. So the place and flights are booked, we're staying in the middle of the city and will be there a week.

Any recommendations of things to see or do?

Type
    intp
    Catch a train to Tivoli (it's 20 minutes or so). Then have a look at Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa. Villa d'Este is right in the town, whereas Hadrian's Villa is probably about 3km away. I walked it under the searing sun because I'm a maniac, but you can probably get a taxi.

also, I think Madrigal asked the same question a few years ago.
    Last edited by scarydoor; 02-12-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Unfortunately, by the time I got to Rome (last stop in Europe) I was tired, cranky and moneyless, so I don't remember much about it, but the Coliseum (on the inside) was the most impressive thing I saw in all of Europe.

Aside from that, I just remember the pizza being shit.

Edit: I guess the Vatican was worth it, but you're hearded like sheep in there and it's really uncomfortable. I realized I missed the Bramante staircase by the time I was already outside of it, and would have had to spend hours getting back in.

Make a wish and toss a coin into the Trevi fountain, your back to the fountain (it's from that famous Dolce Vita scene), and Piazza del Campidoglio at night is pretty. I can't recall the names of some of the picturesque neighborhoods. Cross the Tiber at dusk.
    Last edited by Madrigal; 02-12-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    All the obvious stuff, like visit the coliseum and the forum remains. The Vatican, Trevi fountain as mentioned. I went to the catacombs as well (just a few miles outside of town). @scarydoor 's suggestions sound good too. It helps if you like old historical stuff for most of this though.

Type
    INTP
    Whatever the natives are doing, of course.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I've heard that it's more of how you do it. So maybe roman meal instead of wonder bread etc.

Type
    INFP

I've never been. I think the Romans gesticulate so you can give that a shot.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    Catch a train to Tivoli (it's 20 minutes or so). Then have a look at Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa. Villa d'Este is right in the town, whereas Hadrian's Villa is probably about 3km away. I walked it under the searing sun because I'm a maniac, but you can probably get a taxi.

also, I think Madrigal asked the same question a few years ago.
    This sounds good. We've got seven non-arrival/non-departure days so I figured a couple of days some of us could go farther out. I'd love to see Pompeii/Herculenaum (??) as well. I'm a pretty serious history geek and most of the family is too. I realized all four kids have two or more years of Latin, which is pretty weird but might explain how easy it was to get buy in from all the (adult) kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Unfortunately, by the time I got to Rome (last stop in Europe) I was tired, cranky and moneyless, so I don't remember much about it, but the Coliseum (on the inside) was the most impressive thing I saw in all of Europe.

Aside from that, I just remember the pizza being shit.

Edit: I guess the Vatican was worth it, but you're hearded like sheep in there and it's really uncomfortable. I realized I missed the Bramante staircase by the time I was already outside of it, and would have had to spend hours getting back in.

Make a wish and toss a coin into the Trevi fountain, your back to the fountain (it's from that famous Dolce Vita scene), and Piazza del Campidoglio at night is pretty. I can't recall the names of some of the picturesque neighborhoods. Cross the Tiber at dusk.
    I was amazed by your whirlwind tour of Europe. We're turtling up in one place for our first time over - which is precisely the opposite of how I travel in the states.

I'm counting on the pizza. I have to believe...

Will definitely cross the Tiber at dusk, we are staying right on it across the bridge to the Vatican

Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    All the obvious stuff, like visit the coliseum and the forum remains. The Vatican, Trevi fountain as mentioned. I went to the catacombs as well (just a few miles outside of town). @scarydoor 's suggestions sound good too. It helps if you like old historical stuff for most of this though.
    I think everyone will get a kick out of old historical stuff. Not sure how many references to Rome Total War I'm going to hear, but I'm guessing at least one per day. The catacombs sounds like another good day trip.

We've got eight people and the strange thing is everyone is over 18 now. I doubt we'll tour together all the time so suggestions that exceed what one person might do is great.

Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Yes! Sounds great in theory! I'm going to try, especially the eating part.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    I've heard that it's more of how you do it. So maybe roman meal instead of wonder bread etc.
    Might bring that fedora I bought myself once upon a time and never wore. Fuck yea. A fedora.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post

I've never been. I think the Romans gesticulate so you can give that a shot.
    This I can do.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've always wanted to visit some of the neolithic sites in Europe. There are bound to be some in Italy, but it might involve hitting the countryside for a day.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    Eat gelato!