Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Organic food

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I used to not eat organic, but several prominent cancer centers and hospitals recommend eating organic if you can afford it for cancer patients. I was surprised by that. So now I do get organic for some things - basically anything that is grown in the ground or doesn't get peeled. Berries, peanuts, greens, beets, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, apples, etc. But not oranges, bananas, avocados, tree nuts, most seeds, or nut milks. I don't really care about GMOs. I don't understand why people are worried about them. I also don't think it matters if you buy organic or conventional dairy; it all has hormones and I don't think the natural ones are any better for you than the synthetic ones, but I don't touch dairy anymore.

I also make sure to buy wild caught salmon, not farmed. I guess a lot of fish farms throw a ton of pesticides and antibiotics and crap in the water, but it varies from fish to fish; some of them are fine.

I think it's worth the extra money because we have the extra money.
    Hi Starla,

I do not want to come across as a know it all, but this is a field I am somewhat expert in.

The whole organic movement is little more than a branding exercise. Most organic products have had excessive levels of 'allowable pesticides' that would be frowned upon in conventional Ag.

That said overly intensive agricultural practice is awfully bad for the environment and not the best for health. The reality is somewhat more grey, and the best route is somewhere between organic and overly conventional. A lot if the artificial categories we use are not terribly relevant. Anyways I do not wish to clog the tread up with my thought, however if yoi want any advice PM me.

Colymbosathon ecplecticos
    Type
    INTP
    Yeah, that's what this forum needs. Private, one on one medical consultations so it's not clogged up with "expert" opinions. It's not like anything ever needs correcting by others.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by djm View Post
    Hi Starla,

I do not want to come across as a know it all, but this is a field I am somewhat expert in.

The whole organic movement is little more than a branding exercise. Most organic products have had excessive levels of 'allowable pesticides' that would be frowned upon in conventional Ag.

That said overly intensive agricultural practice is awfully bad for the environment and not the best for health. The reality is somewhat more grey, and the best route is somewhere between organic and overly conventional. A lot if the artificial categories we use are not terribly relevant. Anyways I do not wish to clog the tread up with my thought, however if yoi want any advice PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    Yeah, that's what this forum needs. Private, one on one medical consultations so it's not clogged up with "expert" opinions. It's not like anything ever needs correcting by others.
    Yeah djm, I'm with BarIII here (never thought I'd say that), I think the whole point of this thread is for you to clog it up with advice.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Yeah djm, I'm with BarIII here (never thought I'd say that), I think the whole point of this thread is for you to clog it up with advice.
    Fair do's I will opine more.

Type
    INTP
    I generally avoid. I'm wary of the level of significance in what the label says. If I were sick or frequently got sick I'd maybe be more concerned. My diet consists of too many other processed and junk food to think it'll matter. Of course, that may be a reason why I should seek organic.

I shop at Costco as well. I find their meat to be of good quality as most of their other products. I would get their regular canned green beans and be fine with it. Last time I was in they only had orgo. Still a better deal than other places, just not as good as it was before. Especially since they didn't seem to be adding a ton of stuff. The color on these doesn't seem to be any different, so idk hard not feel like that buck wasn't better spent elsewhere.

I think it's important to eat fresh meat and fresh veggies in and of themselves. Maybe there is some considerable difference long term over eating orgo but just not having fast food or prepackaged meals that sit in dry storage for eternity is a step up for most Americans who are increasingly overweight and diabetic.

I don't believe all GMOs are bad but I also don't believe they're all w/out consequences or consuming too many can be done w/out bodily repercussions. I just don't know which are which or what level to stay under. I don't think the FDA can tells us or would, if Monsanto paid them enough or leaned on congress to set a low limit. If I were 20 years younger, I might be singing a different tune. I mean, Lord willing, I still have quite a bit of life left, but just like from 1900-1950, nobody knew how bad cigarettes were. Common sense may've told you to avoid but just how many health issues they tangled with, wasn't really known. I don't know if it won't be for another 30 years that we see a population raised primarily on GMOs that we find out what worked and what needs to go. I hope my 20-25 year head start will save my health or be kicking back with the senior discount to not care anyway.