Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What race would a member be?

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner

What race would a member be?

... race from Star Trek that is, in honour of the fact that Madrigal is buffing up on her trekky knowledge these days and now knows her photon torpedos from her phasers.

@Madrigal would be Klingon of course ...

Like Vulcans, the Klingons are one of the alien races most immediately identifiable with Star Trek, possessing the sort of unique cultural identity and history that makes the Star Trek universe so broad and fascinating. ... Originally presented as antagonists, and later allies of the Federation, the Klingons are a race of warrior conquerors that value honor above all else. Blunt and aggressive, with no room for subtleties or debate, Klingons tend to know what they want, but should not be mistaken for savages. Klingons are a society that idealizes war and combat, but much like the Vikings of outer space, they are also a deeply religious people who make great efforts to live the sorts of lives that are deemed honorable in their culture. Klingons prefer being killed to being captured in battle, and celebrate the death of loved ones instead of mourning them, believing that to die in battle is the sort of achievement that all Klingons should strive for. Klingons also have their own form of opera, which usually depicts tales of grim courage, honorable sacrifice, and unfulfilled love. Supposedly, Klingon opera is immensely painful for many non-Klingons to listen to.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I don't actually know much yet but I've had to translate it. But I'm starting to see it as a pretty good representation of US diplomacy/imperialism. Dunno if I'd choose the klingons but I guess I do have a wrinkly forehead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Limey = If Q had a baby with a Vulcan.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    ... race from Star Trek that is, in honour of the fact that Madrigal is buffing up on her trekky knowledge these days and now knows her photon torpedos from her phasers.

@Madrigal would be Klingon of course ...
    Despite the well known fact the Klingons were an metaphor for the Red Menace of Communist Russia in TOS, the Klingons are hardly a communist species (every proper Klingon warrior proudly announces their house and lineage as part of their honorific in a very feudal sense) and not the only Star Trek race known for their physicality. This is to say nothing of the Klingon's dedication to Kahless and their belief in Sto-vo-kor.

I won't insult her with Borg, maybe a Dominion Changeling. They're tougher than they look, are certainly exceedingly intelligent and have similar social beliefs.

Type
    INTP
    I see Limey more as a Ferengi.

Utisz's placement on the N spectrum I think makes him a Betazoid but one that's not tooooo feely.

Good job by the way, funneling pent-up racism into a healthy Star Trek thread. They should play this game in prisons.

Type
    INTP
    Ferengi

I'm sure Star Trek had racist undertones and over tones anyway.

I read a foreword to one of the Star Trek scripts before, written by Roddenberry, and it's was all about racial supremecy.. Have been unable to locate that script in the 5 or so years since. Wish I kept it.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Mxx is a Caitian-Orion hybrid

I'm a Vulcan that grew up in Klingon space, was captured by the borg, found to be disruptive to the collective and traded to the ferengi, from which I escaped after buying my freedom.
    Nobody knows the troubles I've seen.
    Last edited by Limes; 03-14-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Of course it had racial undertones. It was mid-late 1960's, and racism was a still a rampant thing. In the original series, the Klingons were utterly racially loaded. The Romulans were meant to be the prime antagonists of the series, with their Roman based and duty driven culture (which was changed considerably later on). Due to budget constraints, their make up was too time consuming and costly for the time. Later on, an episode was written with the Klingons having only meant to be a quick antagonist and not written by Roddenberry himself. They were described in the script as "oriental, with hard faces," and were meant to be like the Japanese. Given some cheap fake moustaches and bronze shoe polish for makeup, they were quite cheap and cheerful to do and became the main antagonists. They became a blatant replacement for the US vs Communist Russia tensions at the time, as well as a lot of bad feeling towards Japan, Korea and Vietnam (which was still waging at the time). But were depicted as brutal, aggressive and treacherous. Plus, being made in the US, the US based good guys always had to win and outwit the dumb oriental aliens.

It wasn't until later that they were re-designed and based more on the feudal Japan, with their honour codes and love of blades etc.

If you think, a lot of the races are based on something from Earth, or our history. The Bajoran/Cardassian story is a metaphor for the Jewish holocaust, The Ferengi are a kind of joke on modern capitalism and does anyone remember that one were they found the Constitution on a parallel world were the cold war had destroyed them? Kirk eventually helped get rid of the nasty brutal Easterners who had forced the good white people out.

Many writers have also worked on it, some taking different interpretations to others. Vulkans for example - were originally supposed to be a superior race for us to aspire to (in Gene Roddenberry's eyes), and Spock often displays a cool compassion, famously giving his life to save his crew mates in The Wrath of Khan. Later Vulkans could often be arrogant and cold hearted, which isn't very logical. (But that was only in Enterprise - actually, do you remember the Vulkan baseball team in DS9?).
    Last edited by Revenant; 03-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Type
    INTP
    ^ Yes, Data

I thought about it a bit. I think I'd just be human.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber