Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brushes with the best

Type
    INTP

Brushes with the best

I was just thinking of some of the smart friends I had in school. I had a couple of friends who might have been the smartest in the class at one point, which I guess isn't a big deal but it made me think up this thread. Did you ever date the best looking person in the school, or the smartest, or just in the class? Was it you? Ever meet the best at something? Biggest bad-ass/bully counts too. Captain of the football team, etc.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INTP
    No, but why? Have you?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    No, but why? Have you?
    Aside from the (possibly) smartest in the class being a friend, oh yeah, I kind of knew a guy who broke the high score record for the video game Popeye but he never had Guinness witness it so he never held the official record. And I may have been the best in a computer programming class but a couple of others got the same grade and test score so it's hard to say.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    I was statistically in the top/brightest 5% of school.

But that means nothing here in Britain.

I'd say there was only one person in my class who was smarter than me and he's a highly focused INTJ. (We both passed the 11+ but chose to go where our friends were going)

He's running his own business right now, but I don't think he's very well off.

The others in my class have joined the NHS, one's a teacher, a few of them are trying to make it as artists - and failing, naturally.

There's like zero social mobility over here.

(Just finished watching a panorama documentary on social mobility confirming the same).

For the non acedemic stuff - that wasn't important either.
    We all had different opinions on who was the hottest.

My biggest crush was on a guy a couple of years my senior - he was and is to die for! Now he's something to rave about.

Not only is he gorgeous, but he's also well accomplished.
    Professional model, semi professional skate-boarder, kick-boxer, trampolinist, and I think he became a firefighter.

He met a girl and had a kid... Much to my heart break.

Ahh.

I honestly couldn't even see him without going into a nervous breakdown

He wasn't everybody's cup of tea - being a grebo.. but damn, he's right up my street!

He's on my Facebook (goes to stalk)

Spoiler: Sex on legs

As for me, I had one steady boyfriend for a few years in school - nothing to brag about.. but I got to receive love letters, and he was pretty sweet n stuff.

He's had a kid now.. like most the blokes I've dated since then.
    Last edited by Sinny; 03-14-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    I was possibly the smartest person at my school but it was a small school.
    ∴ ∵ ∴

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I remember meeting a bunch of well known security people at a Schmoocon conference one year in DC. For example, Dave Aitel was hired by the NSA aged just 18
    On the whole, the conference was a bit depressing.

It's like the Dunning-Kruger effect as a lesson, being shown how much you don't know.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    Aside from the (possibly) smartest in the class being a friend, oh yeah, I kind of knew a guy who broke the high score record for the video game Popeye but he never had Guinness witness it so he never held the official record. And I may have been the best in a computer programming class but a couple of others got the same grade and test score so it's hard to say.
    Right now, though only by a small margin, I'm the smartest person in the room I'm sitting in. Does this count? To be fair, the only other person is a 4 year old boy. I mean, what's the significance of this discussion? All of us have been, or known someone who has been, the best, or the most, at something or other within some sufficiently narrow domain, location, or period.

You seem drawn to the category of school class? Presumably, this is because a class delineates a semi-independent social group, with its own internal hierarchy. If you step outside of the class, then perhaps being the best at something in a school, community, or country, or the world, become salient groups. So I'm guessing your motivation for asking this question has something to do with being near, or at, the top of a some kind of social hierarchy, particularly when the hierarchy is based on competence or excellence. Obviously, being at the top of a social hierarchy, especially if it's based on competence, usually feels good. It means you are, in some way, desirable or enviable.

Is this what you want to discuss?

Type
    INTP
    Right now, though only by a small margin, I'm the smartest person in the room I'm sitting in. Does this count? To be fair, the only other person is a 4 year old boy. I mean, what's the significance of this discussion? All of us have been, or known someone who has been, the best, or the most, at something or other within some sufficiently narrow domain, location, or period.

You seem drawn to the category of school class? Presumably, this is because a class delineates a semi-independent social group, with its own internal hierarchy. If you step outside of the class, then perhaps being the best at something in a school, community, or country, or the world, become salient groups. So I'm guessing your motivation for asking this question has something to do with being near, or at, the top of a some kind of social hierarchy, particularly when the hierarchy is based on competence or excellence. Obviously, being at the top of a social hierarchy, especially if it's based on competence, usually feels good. It means you are, in some way, desirable or enviable.

Is this what you want to discuss?
    You drag me away from photographing can openers to psychoanalyze my question? I was just thinking of my best friend Vinny being the smartest kid in my grade school class and thought it was an interesting topic. You ruined it. I want to discuss can openers now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I was just thinking of my best friend Vinny being the smartest kid in my grade school class and thought it was an interesting topic.
    You were wrong. That's not interesting. Nobody cares about Vinny.

But there is a reason why "smartest person in class" is a noteworthy category and "smartest person in lower half of class" is not, and it has something to do with what it's like to be, or to know, someone at the top of some kind of social hierarchy, and how it might be experienced for good and ill. That's kind of interesting. Indeed, Limes's response is a case in point, because he immediately begins reflecting on what the experience of being surrounded by much more competent and accomplished people is like, and it's "a bit depressing".

Type
    INTP
    You were wrong. That's not interesting. Nobody cares about Vinny.

But there is a reason why "smartest person in class" is a noteworthy category and "smartest person in lower half of class" is not, and it has something to do with what it's like to be, or to know, someone at the top of some kind of social hierarchy, and how it might be experienced for good and ill. That's kind of interesting. Indeed, Limes's response is a case in point, because he immediately begins reflecting on what the experience of being surrounded by much more competent and accomplished people is like, and it's "a bit depressing".
    I didn't want to limit it and exclude people just because someone hasn't met the best in the world. Then it would just be Limey's thread. I started a wide open topic and it's up to people to use their own judgment on whether their story is interesting enough.

And if it weren't for Vinny, none of us would be in this thread!