Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi

Type
    iNtP

Raspberry Pi

Couldnt find another raspberry pi thread so started this one..

In case youve been living under the proverbial rock, The raspberry pi 3b was released today

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    intp
    I have this raspberry pi 2 here. I just don't have enough time to do things with it at the moment. I probably need to buy a few additional components so that I can do something interesting.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Not the update I was hoping for. I'd rather see USB 3.0 or on-board SATA connectors. I find storage media read/write speeds are much more of a bottleneck than network speeds for the Pi.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Not the update I was hoping for. I'd rather see USB 3.0 or on-board SATA connectors. I find storage media read/write speeds are much more of a bottleneck than network speeds for the Pi.
    So put your data on something with better storage media r/w and connect that to the pi via network

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    So put your data on something with better storage media r/w and connect that to the pi via network
    How is that going to help me when I'm walking around town with my Pi running from a battery?

And can you run the OS from a networked drive like you can from a USB drive? With just a boot.ini on the SD card?

Not that I'm against the idea of a pure wifi drive--I was thinking that might be a cool micro-controller project.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    INTP
    How is that going to help me when I'm walking around town with my Pi running from a battery?

And can you run the OS from a networked drive like you can from a USB drive? With just a boot.ini on the SD card?

Not that I'm against the idea of a pure wifi drive--I was thinking that might be a cool micro-controller project.
    I mean, it's meant as a single board computer. If you want something much faster than SD for the OS, you should probably put together an actual computer or something like a NUC. If you want to walk around with it in your pocket, connecting an SSD via SATA or USB is gonna be awkward, and that battery probably won't last long. But there are comparably priced SBCs with onboard eMMC which is a bit better.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I mean, it's meant as a single board computer. If you want something much faster than SD for the OS, you should probably put together an actual computer or something like a NUC. If you want to walk around with it in your pocket, connecting an SSD via SATA or USB is gonna be awkward, and that battery probably won't last long. But there are comparably priced SBCs with onboard eMMC which is a bit better.
    A NUC would be ridiculous, ludicrously expensive by comparison, and wouldn't allow me to accomplish my goals. For what I'm trying to do, SBC's are what I need. Reliance on SD cards is just a bit of a fly in the ointment.

It's not going to be in my pocket. It's going to be a brace-puter. I've wanted one since I was a little kid and I'm not gonna settle for a fucking cell-phone. The external drive and battery will be mounted wherever they can be comfortably sewn into clothing. Being able to make it myself just makes it sweeter.

But, thanks for the heads up on SBC's with onboard eMMC--hadn't thought to look for that specifically. I currently have a Pi 3B and Pi Zero W, but they were just the most suitable in that price range when I started looking. Still need at least one more board, and if I can find a better master controller SBC for the brace-puter part--or even the sensor managers--I'm fine with that.

Do you have any experience with the eMMC based SBC's? Any solid overachievers with some form of bluetooth/wifi built in that you'd recommend?

Type
    INTP
    A NUC would be ridiculous, ludicrously expensive by comparison, and wouldn't allow me to accomplish my goals. For what I'm trying to do, SBC's are what I need. Reliance on SD cards is just a bit of a fly in the ointment.

It's not going to be in my pocket. It's going to be a brace-puter. I've wanted one since I was a little kid and I'm not gonna settle for a fucking cell-phone. The external drive and battery will be mounted wherever they can be comfortably sewn into clothing. Being able to make it myself just makes it sweeter.

But, thanks for the heads up on SBC's with onboard eMMC--hadn't thought to look for that specifically. I currently have a Pi 3B and Pi Zero W, but they were just the most suitable in that price range when I started looking. Still need at least one more board, and if I can find a better master controller SBC for the brace-puter part--or even the sensor managers--I'm fine with that.

Do you have any experience with the eMMC based SBC's? Any solid overachievers with some form of bluetooth/wifi built in that you'd recommend?
    Actually, I was just surprised to discover that the latest eMMC standard allows speeds up to 400 MB/s, on par with an SSD. I don't know if there are any SBCs out right now that use that standard though, practically none of them list their eMMC version in the specs. It seems like most of these boards have generally shitty documentation available, even the relatively popular ones. I guess you can always contact the manufacturer and ask.

I spent a little time playing with an ASUS Tinker Board a few months ago and it's a pretty nice little board with bluetooth and wifi, about $60 but definitely more powerful than a raspberry pi. They just announced a new version with 16GB eMMC so I think it's likely that's the latest eMMC standard but of course the online info doesn't say. Just be aware that if you get one you would need to power it over GPIO to get stable performance as it draws more peak current than microUSB supports.

I found this wikipedia article very useful when shopping for an SBC. It's not perfect but I think it's a good starting point.

Yet another option is SPI flash. I think with a SPI NOR flash chip you could get like 512 MB/s reading, but writing might be much slower. But it should be possible to boot from SPI on a raspberry pi. It might be some work to figure out how.

If you wanted to spend a little bit more, like $300-$600, you could get an NVIDIA Jetson. These are really nice, with MUCH better GPUs, and not only do they have eMMC they have USB 3 and SATA. Of course that's in the same price range as a NUC but the board is much smaller and from what I've seen they're worth the money, especially if you can get the educational discount.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ

What do you want your wearable to do that a phone can't?

Also be careful what you make this thing look like. All it takes is one mouthbreather thinking it maybe kinda sorta looks like a bomb and shit can go south real quick.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    What do you want your wearable to do that a phone can't?

Also be careful what you make this thing look like. All it takes is one mouthbreather thinking it maybe kinda sorta looks like a bomb and shit can go south real quick.
    For starters: not be a phone.

To continue: not have any applications on it that I don't want, and be a platform I can easily modify and reconfigure to suit my whimsy, and have ready USB connectivity for a variety of devices, as well as have ready connectivity for various sensors and other components as I wish--and allow me to program it in Python and C/C++ instead of fucking Java. Not being an Android or IOS device has enormous value to me. Then there's the advantages and sheer enjoyment that comes from having a CLI to root around with. Perhaps the most important feature though, will be that it won't be something handcrafted for the purpose of bombarding me with messages to buy shit. From what I've seen, that's what the modern smartphone is: an advertising platform you shell out Benjamins for so people can throw advertisements at you. It's one of the biggest reasons phones suck. That and touchscreen keyboards.

Good point on the mouthbreathers--the Mark 1 will be pretty bulky, but my planned fab should look more Borg than ISIS.

@pensive_pilgrim, looks like the Jetson line is actually bigger than the NUC. Neat bit of kit though.

I did consider a TinkerBoard, but my preliminary research suggested that there was a better support base for the Pi, and I'm bootstrapping pretty hard right now. I have the background to make it easier, but I'm still bootstrapping to get this going anywhere.

I also spent a few long moments pondering the LattePanda, but apparently the board is even more slipshod their their website.