Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I just got a bunch of camera gear

Type
    intp

I just got a bunch of camera gear

I recently inherited a Canon EOS Rebel T5 and a ton of lenses and other things, most of which I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with. One of the lenses appears to just be a mirror. Fucked if I know what that's for, selfie mode? It came without the battery so it'll be a while before I can actually get started taking photos, but I barely know where to start. I guess I should read the manual. I live in Colorado though and it came with a camera backpack so should be plenty of opportunities.

I'd like to keep track of my progress here. If anyone has good suggestions of a crash course or something, let me know.

Type
    INTP
    The mirror lens is likely a compact telephoto, i.e., "long lens."

https://advancedphototech.wordpress....mirror-lenses/

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Yeah--my guess is the same as @lbloom's. They're crude compared to the modern stacks of glass lenses in telescoping tubes with powered motors and anti-vibration features--but they're also way cheaper and lighter. You'll also see the same tech in use in observatory telescopes--and the Hubble. If you're gonna put a giant telescope in space, lighter and cheaper wins the day.

My crash course suggestion is to find your local camera shop and see if they have some intro classes. Also look for nearby camera conventions, but leave your wallet at home. A staple of conventions is informational panels. It was at a convention I learned the value of using aperture priority and letting my camera to the math on what aperture to use for the shutter speed and ISO I chose, as well as why to choose particular ISO's or shutter speed, with examples of results. That same day I went to another panel and learned how to use bracketing settings to make HDRI pictures--think @Limes cityscapes. The convention was even free entry!
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Been out to Red Rocks yet? It's a great place to see a concert (once it warms up) and you could hang out in the ampitheatre on non-concert days fifteen years ago, I don't know if you still can. It could be a good place to take a date and play with your camera. Garden of the Gods is also a good photog playground.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 03-16-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    I don't have anything to add except that I like playing with my old fully manual 35mm SLR occasionally. It takes surprisingly good pictures, but it's heavy and very difficult to be spontaneous since you have to fiddle with the settings before every photo.

Type
    intp
    The mirror thing isn't actually a lens, I guess. I'm still not sure what it does, but here it is.

On the side it says Promaster 58MM-67MM. Maybe it's one of these? http://www.promaster.com/Product/7361 Still not clear on how a completely opaque object has a function in a camera.

Some of the other stuff this came with:

Spoiler: Camera accessories

Various filters

Lens 1

Lens 2

Macro lens

Telephoto lens

Unfortunately the larger lens has some dirt in it and I'm not sure if it's possible to get it out. Can you open up a camera lens? Do you even want to? You're probably right @Hephaestus in that I should visit a photo shop.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Been out to Red Rocks yet? It's a great place to see a concert (once it warms up) and you could hang out in the ampitheatre on non-concert days fifteen years ago, I don't know if you still can. It could be a good place to take a date and play with your camera. Garden of the Gods is also a good photog playground.
    Not yet, actually plan on going tomorrow though. There's so many places to go around here, it's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I don't have anything to add except that I like playing with my old fully manual 35mm SLR occasionally. It takes surprisingly good pictures, but it's heavy and very difficult to be spontaneous since you have to fiddle with the settings before every photo.
    Yeah that's the thing that might hold me back. I love hiking and the outdoors, but I hate stopping for more than a moment to snap a photo. I guess that's why a good phone camera has worked best for me in the past. Still, I've always wanted to get an actual camera, so I'd like to at least try to give it a go.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @Lud

I have no idea on the mirror. The part number is just the step-up ring. My guess would be your dad thought it would be a convenient and nifty way to protect a signal mirror--which is not a bad idea if you're heading out on a photo hike. You could also use it as a means to redirect light to illuminate something--lots of ways to do that and usually you want something more diffuse...

Do the filters fit over the mirror? Can't see how they're thread from the photos. Just a thought.

Ok... I have a few ideas on the mirror after all.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    @Lud

I have no idea on the mirror. The part number is just the step-up ring. My guess would be your dad thought it would be a convenient and nifty way to protect a signal mirror--which is not a bad idea if you're heading out on a photo hike. You could also use it as a means to redirect light to illuminate something--lots of ways to do that and usually you want something more diffuse...

Do the filters fit over the mirror? Can't see how they're thread from the photos. Just a thought.

Ok... I have a few ideas on the mirror after all.
    Yeah the filters can fit over the mirror. Still can't see through one side of it to the other though. It's possible you could use it to signal with different shades from the filters, I guess.

I really have no insight into why my dad might have bought it. They didn't do any hiking that would have required a signal mirror, but that doesn't mean he might not have bought it for that purpose anyway. Entirely possible he just got talked into it by a salesman. I think I'm going to try going by a camera shop tomorrow to get a battery pack and see what they say about it.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    Yeah the filters can fit over the mirror. Still can't see through one side of it to the other though. It's possible you could use it to signal with different shades from the filters, I guess.

I really have no insight into why my dad might have bought it. They didn't do any hiking that would have required a signal mirror, but that doesn't mean he might not have bought it for that purpose anyway. Entirely possible he just got talked into it by a salesman. I think I'm going to try going by a camera shop tomorrow to get a battery pack and see what they say about it.
    I wasn't thinking signaling through the filters, I was thinking bouncing filtered light--but it's really small anyway. I'm leaning emergency signal, or just a non-standard lens cap.

Type
    INTP
    Can you see a very bright light source through it? Light pollution filters for astrophotography in urban areas look like that.
    https://oneminuteastronomer.com/111/...ution-filters/

The 58/67 part -- are you sure there isn't a hollow step ring screwed on to that side?

Could also be a neutral density filter, although those are usually just non-shiny gray.