Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the next big social thing after Facebook?

Type
    INTP

What's the next big social thing after Facebook?

One hears about how Facebook has maybe peaked and is on the way down, or at least will have greatly reduced status. What's the next big thing afterward, or have social media sites already reached their zenith? I have thought that personal websites interconnected somehow may be future rage.

Type
    INTP
    I've seen stats that show a conglomeration of different mediums, such as Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter, are already superseding Facebook in combined use. I think those sites are more natural for the way people communicate with each other. They stay out of the way and let socialization be the primary thing. Facebook is bulky and overbearing by comparison.

Type
    INTP
    Facebook is clunky as hell, but the users seem to be highly resistant to change so I guess Zuckerberg is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can see the conglomeration of messaging services, still I think the future will have a page or something besides just the messaging.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Problems View Post
    What's the next big thing afterward, or have social media sites already reached their zenith?
    I hope it all crashes and burns, to be honest.

Type
    INTP
    If it wasn't for staying in touch with a few people I wouldn't care either. I have 26 "Friends", about half of which I interact with.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Twitter I'm not convinced can actually become sustainable...but the lows of humanity frequently trawl deeper than I can imagine, so who knows....

Instagram IS facebook, so that's not really an issue for them. Which leaves, i guess, snapchat, which as I understand it is mainly kids.

Linkedin might be an issue for facebook, but its essentially the same thing as far as I'm concerened.

I have no particular emotional attachement one way or the other to the survival of facebook, but one thing I think all the "facebook doomsayers" are lacking is a statement of what it is that is going to take it down. The previous social networks all dropped off or consolidated because the network effects of the one big player overwhelmed them, and that big player in this case was facebook. Without another one to come along that draws everyone out of facebook, we might as well be predicting the demise of google because they came along and wiped out everyone else who did the same thing before them, even though we can't currently see who it is that might replace them. And at least so far, google seems to be showing that it is at least possible for a new company to enter and survive medium term....

Type
    INTP
    I'm still surprised when I hear people are still using facebook. Every time I would log on it was just notifications from people playing those stupid games or content I just did not care about. I guess I just find most people pretty uninteresting.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I strongly dislike Facebook. I would really like for something to come along with a better interface and signal-to-noise-ratio and just MySpace it to the bottom of the ocean.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I would really like for something to come along with a better interface and signal-to-noise-ratio
    Ah, but is the problem with facebook, or with the creatures that are generating the signal/noise :P

I'm beginning to think that all internet sites are going to be just one big repetition of the Eternal September pattern...

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    INTPx
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.