Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the next big social thing after Facebook?

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Seems like Facebook/Instagram is still a thing. Is tumblr still popular? My younger co-workers all use Facebook.

I wonder if FB gained its staying power by having real identities rather than screennames. By linking an app to your real identity you become more attached to it?
    Tumblr doesn't seem as popular as it once was. It's mostly artists, meth users, dd/lg, fandom nerds and neurodivergnt people, from what I've seen. The average selfie-taking beach goer seems to use Instagram more now.

The introduction of stories to EVERYTHING seems to be killing Snapchat. Thoughts? Most people I know prefer to use Instagram stories rather than Snapchat now. Unless something super exciting is on SC, like that fucking dancing hotdog.

Regarding FB and its staying power, has anyone disabled/deleted their Facebook? I've heard from coworkers that they do some emotionally manipulative shit, like show you happy photos with you and your friends like "Are you sure you want to leave? Sarah will miss you!" "Are you sure?" "Are you suuuure?"

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by chalimoe View Post
    Regarding FB and its staying power, has anyone disabled/deleted their Facebook? I've heard from coworkers that they do some emotionally manipulative shit, like show you happy photos with you and your friends like "Are you sure you want to leave? Sarah will miss you!" "Are you sure?" "Are you suuuure?"
    Yep. Can confirm.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Optimistically, a suicide cult.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Oh yeah, one of the best law enforcement tools ever harnessed.
    Given its effectiveness and the reasons why, maybe they should sponsor open mic nights at donut shops for people to come sing like canaries about their recent criminal exploits. Maybe give them access to an overhead projector so they can show their selfies.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    Given its effectiveness and the reasons why, maybe they should sponsor open mic nights at donut shops for people to come sing like canaries about their recent criminal exploits. Maybe give them access to an overhead projector so they can show their selfies.
    It's no good, apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Bi...ice_procedure)

Eventually someone will figure out that they were pressured into it. "I had to sing or they weren't gonna give me my latte. I had no choice but to make something up on the spot..."
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INTP
    Internet forums.

... and then I wake up.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Internet forums.

... and then I wake up.
    They really are my preferred medium for interacting with people online. Really nothing else comes close.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    ✓ making fart noises with your mouth through walkie talkies
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    intp
    'Social media' has been effective in getting people addicted to it and using it. But is often at odds to what people would actually want to do with their lives, if they thought about it. i.e. (for most people) spending time with their friends irl, doing things that interest them, catching cultural events, etc. If companies like Facebook can retain their addictive properties, while getting people to do what they actually want to do, then they'd be more successful. I think that would be the next step. However that is accomplished. But I think Facebook only has a small chance of losing its monopoly. They would need to really cock it up. So I think it will still be Facebook.

Maybe, though, there'll be a legal challenge from someone saying that Facebook has an unfair monopoly, and they'll be forced to somehow make the social connections for everyone be somehow 'open' so that migrating to a rival 'social network' won't be as much a limitation.