Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the next big social thing after Facebook?

Type
    INTP
    I hope not...

Type
    intp
    G+

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Problems View Post
    One hears about how Facebook has maybe peaked and is on the way down, or at least will have greatly reduced status. What's the next big thing afterward, or have social media sites already reached their zenith? I have thought that personal websites interconnected somehow may be future rage.
    Facebook is different from the rest of the popular social media tools because it tries to be an entity you browse the internet for content with. Most other popular social media utilities are designed to integrate in to face book.

I could see an open facebook replacement taking off as social media matures but I don't see the model changing very much in the next 10 years.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomps View Post
    Facebook is different from the rest of the popular social media tools because it tries to be an entity you browse the internet for content with. Most other popular social media utilities are designed to integrate in to face book.
    That's how I use Facebook. Kind of like a personalised news feed interrupted by the occasional baby photo.

My news is strangely heavy on social advocacy, science and cycling and and devoid of right wing garbage.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    My news is strangely heavy on social advocacy, science and cycling and and devoid of right wing garbage.
    Yeah. Mine is completely centerd around jet ski content. A you tube video of jet skis riding waves. Scroll down, someone is selling some jet ski stuff, next is a technical question asked by a "friend" about a specific models carburetor (which i'm sure you hate because of the emissions).

Of course the main problem is facebook is friend centric so no matter how many times you like the jet ski backflip pick but hide the pic of the same users daughter you will still get unwanted content due to the "friendships" activity.

Forget privacy because the second you start operating these tools you've given that up. The point is content and facebook's is structured solidly to make money off adverts from the content you want.

Type
    intp
    Hahaha... I just saw a photo of Chris Froome fried by the sun through his new lycra on Bike Girls. It had a comment that it should have been posted on 'Bike Boys', so I went and had a look. Bike Girls has 201 K likes and Bike Boys has 1.

Type
    INTP
    Entertainment in motion!

Type
    INTP
    Seems like Facebook/Instagram is still a thing. Is tumblr still popular? My younger co-workers all use Facebook.

I wonder if FB gained its staying power by having real identities rather than screennames. By linking an app to your real identity you become more attached to it?

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    They've taken a lot from their User base in return for all the seemingly warm fuzzies they hand out. I saw someone mentioned on this forum or the other recently that one of their friends created an account on FB which wasn't supposedly Linked to his real identity, but FB started suggesting usernames of contacts he actually knew to the "fake" identity. Probably all he had to do was creep one of them FB knows it's him, or can at least draw the dotted line between those contacts and the other FB identity.

Facebook will stay relevant as long as governments can harvest it for all your base.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by itch View Post
    Facebook will stay relevant as long as governments can harvest it for all your base.
    Oh yeah, one of the best law enforcement tools ever harnessed.