Type
    INTP
    Here's the upside down Bible:

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I took my upside down Bible to church. It was a liberal Bible:
    e.g.
    It normally has Jesus's words in red, but for things like John 8 they are all black, and the words are in italics...
    [The earliest manuscripts and many other ancient witnesses do not have John 7:538:11. A few manuscripts include these verses, wholly or in part, after John 7:36, John 21:25, Luke 21:38 or Luke 24:53.]
    It also doesn't have a passage that seems to support the trinity:
    Instead: 1 John 5:7-8 "For there are three that testify: the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement."

It has this in a footnote:
    1 John 5:8 Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the fourteenth century)
    I talked to the senior pastor and told him that normally pastors say it is just a meaningless coincidence that it was printed upside down. The pastor agreed with me that it seemed meaningful. Unlike the people on a Christian messageboard the pastor agreed that those parts of the Bible were changed or added.

The church's Bible were all the same version as mine! (2011 NIV). So it also had John 8 in italics. My Bible is better though because it has things like colour maps and red text for Jesus's words (except John 8). Their Bibles have a black cover (including their large print Bibles).

The pastor is conservative in some ways though - he is against gay marriage.

Type
    INTP
    My special Bible actually has more issues than the cover being attached upside down -

The red text in Revelation is often significantly lighter than the red text in the gospels - it is more noticeable in real life - if you zoom in on the photos it is pretty noticeable:

https://sky-walker.net/temp/test2/red2.jpg

https://sky-walker.net/temp/test2/red3.jpg

In Revelation the black text is dark, but some parts in the Old Testament have lighter blacks:

https://sky-walker.net/temp/test2/black1.jpg

When the problems seem unconnected like this it becomes a lot more unlikely - e.g. if 1 in 1000 Bibles are covered upside down and 1 in 10 have problems with the print darkness, that would happen 1 in 10,000 times.... I don't see why Bibles covered upside down would be more likely to have problems with the print darkness.

Type
    INTP
    This year's Maundy Thursday service on April 18 was also significant -

The first song was "A New Commandment"! (Maundy Thursday's special song - which wasn't played in 2018) For the last verse or so there was a technical problem - the words weren't displayed on the screen and then the congregation, including me, sung the rest of the words because we knew them. Then they put up the words for the song and we all sang the whole song a second time!

I think the words we sung were the original words ("shall all men know") but the video file the pastor gave me was non-sexist:
    "by this shall all know"

Then I also found: "by this shall others know"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTOqk5GxV-c

Those two main songs from last year also had different versions for the service and when I looked on Youtube related to sexism vs inclusive language.

Lately I've been having theological discussions with a female Anglican priest. Sometimes when reading the Bible for Bible study she uses inclusive language instead of reading the original sexist words.

I had thought the very common theme of the songs having two or more versions (three versions for "A New Commandment") has become meaningful in light of the priest's views.

Before that I just thought the different versions were interesting but just a meaningless coincidence.

Also in the service they played this video of John 13:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EBEm7aOXU4

An odd related thing I noticed in that video was at 7:40 a woman has a moment with Jesus but they say nothing which explains why the Bible doesn't seem to mention it.

This is on one of the Maundy Thursday slides:
    All are welcome to commune:
    Who are baptized members of the Christian Church;
    Who believe that Jesus Christ is their personal Lord and Saviour;
    Who believe that the body and blood of Christ are truly present as they eat the bread and drink the wine;
    Who believe that they receive forgiveness of sins, life and salvation in this meal.
    At some point in the future that might apply to me - but if it had said that I believed Jesus physically rose from the dead then that might not ever be the case.

Then at the end of the service there was a stripping of the table and "silent prayer". Sometimes people end up talking at the end - I can't remember what happened this year.