Thread: Blockchain Technology

Type
    XNXP

Blockchain Technology

This thread for discussing blockchain tech.

My own question -

Any companies that you think are especially adept at this "new" step for industry. Yes, yes, I know its been around since "bitcoin" but I don't want the thread to get hung up on the word "new". So why did I type it ? Because many mainstream companies are still in an "investigative" stage regarding this, and I am keeping this in mind as I fish around.

I am not in tech directly, and so don't consider me a poseur for asking this of people who often ARE in tech, but try to keep any answers ( to me ) in a somewhat abstracted form since I will not understand anything too specifically nuanced with IT jargon. ( Even though I may want to learn it by watching insiders duke it out with such. )

I would just as soon start a separate thread for crypto-currency, and keep this one for blockchain if you don't mind.
    cute as a bug

Type
    INTP
    I watched some lecture about it the other week..

They guy lecturing was a big fan of it, and said it's a great way to decentralise the control of information.

He warned that it could be used to enslave or liberate, depending on who uses it and for what.
    If Biden is the answer... what the fuck was the question?!

Type
    XNXP
    Someone sent me a "rep" on this saying that "there is already a thread on crypto crrency" . All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingersa re thumbs. Blackchain is the underlying mechanism that allows crypto currency to work, but it is not specifically crypto currency. In fact, if you read my OP, I state that I do NOT want my thread ( here ) to be a discussion about crypto currency. I want it to be about the underlying tech - blockchain.

Even if I HAD wanted the thread to be "about crypto currency", I've noticed that some threads about identical or very similar things get more action than others do. Why not MINE getting the responses ?

But it looks like both the threads I posted yesterday will likely sink out of sight without much action at all.

Maybe I should have asked if you would fuck a pigeon instead ...
    cute as a bug

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Someone sent me a "rep" on this saying that "there is already a thread on crypto crrency" . All thumbs are fingers, but not all fingersa re thumbs. Blackchain is the underlying mechanism that allows crypto currency to work, but it is not specifically crypto currency. In fact, if you read my OP, I state that I do NOT want my thread ( here ) to be a discussion about crypto currency. I want it to be about the underlying tech - blockchain.

Even if I HAD wanted the thread to be "about crypto currency", I've noticed that some threads about identical or very similar things get more action than others do. Why not MINE getting the responses ?

But it looks like both the threads I posted yesterday will likely sink out of sight without much action at all.

Maybe I should have asked if you would fuck a pigeon instead ...
    My rep referred to this part of your OP:

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I would just as soon start a separate thread for crypto-currency, and keep this one for blockchain if you don't mind.
    It makes sense to post general crypto discussions in the General cryptocurrency discussion thread (duh) simply because it's already quite a good collection of information.

ORDER!!!

Your writing style also makes me wonder whether you're the actual kuranes from the old place. This iteration of kuranes sounds like a woman, while the old kuranes probably wasn't. Or perhaps I'm just mixing you up in my memory.

Type
    XNXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Your writing style also makes me wonder whether you're the actual kuranes from the old place. This iteration of kuranes sounds like a woman, while the old kuranes probably wasn't. Or perhaps I'm just mixing you up in my memory.
    Yes, I am the original Kuranes. I am a man. I have been told throughout my life ( occasionally ) that I have some characteristics of a woman. When I then raised an eyebrow in inquiry - the person who said it ( often a woman ) would add "I meant that as a COMPLIMENT, of course" and I would smile.

Post crypto-currency wherever the hell you want to, but say something about blockchain HERE is the point I'm making. But No-o-o-o-o-o-o-. Let's argue instead about this minor point of order. ORDER ! The reason I originally said the sentence that you were quoting - was to attempt to forestall this very THING. Tangents that have nothing to do with my OP taking over the thread. ORDER ! Nor do you need to reply to THIS aspect of the thread, keeping this trivial tangent going ... "it could have been worded otherwise blah blah...."
    cute as a bug

Type
    intp
    The original query was well enough stated. Cryptocurrency is just one application of block chain.

Unfortunately I don't have much to add. This is on my list of stuff to learn. I'm currently well occupied by more traditional web dev stuff.

Particularly I would like to dive in and just build an implementation of block chain to get a better feel for it. https://hackernoon.com/learn-blockch...e-117428612f46

Unforunately I think it will attract a lot of people trying to use it because it seems cool, when it's not relevant to what they're doing.

We were recently thinking building a voting system with it recently. I can see it being most impactful to politics etc.

Type
    INTP
    Vinay Gupta is a good guy to read to get a clear explanation of what blockchain technology is and how it might change the world:

By the end of this article, you’re going to understand blockchains in general (and Ethereum, a next-generation blockchain platform, in particular) well enough to decide what they mean to your life
    As far as companies go, are you interested in "blockchain companies" - basically projects that have sprung up with some form of blockchain tech as the basis for their business model? Or are you interested in pre-existing companies that may be incorporating blockchain-based solutions for existing problems / inefficiencies in their organization?
    Last edited by Penguinhunter; 04-18-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Type
    XNXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguinhunter View Post
    Vinay Gupta is a good guy to read to get a clear explanation of what blockchain technology is and how it might change the world:

As far as companies go, are you interested in "blockchain companies" - basically projects that have sprung up with some form of blockchain tech as the basis for their business model? Or are you interested in pre-existing companies that may be incorporating blockchain-based solutions for existing problems / inefficiencies in their organization?
    Both.

And nowadays I am ( for a layman ) pretty deep into this. I'd like to get back into exec recruiting and have "blockchain InfoSec" as a niche specialty. So I've been cultivating the acquaintance of ppeople deeply immersed in it, and similar things
    cute as a bug

Type
    INTP
    anyone here know anything about Blockchain 7.3?
    If Biden is the answer... what the fuck was the question?!

Type
    xxxx
    I worked in a blockchain fintech startup like 5 years ago. But that was a typical use case.

I thought the voting applications could be pretty cool.