Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antidepressants

Type
    INTP

Antidepressants

Have you had any experiences with antidepressants? If so, what type? What did you think? Would you take them again if you found yourself depressed again, or are you still on them?

I've been on Citalopram for the past several months. I'd been on Lexapro about 3 different times in the past, and my experience with Citalopram is so far identical in terms of main effect and side effects. It's fairly effective for me, but the biggest problem is that it seems to stop working after a while. And a while being fairly short, like after only 4-6 months of continued use. I start to notice all the old anxieties taking over more and more of my thinking, it's harder to find motivation for anything, all the usual. At the same time, I'm not sure if this is just more of a baseline after the initial "high" experienced from simply NOT being depressed, and I've just forgotten what actual depression feels like (much like I forget what not feeling depressed feels like when I am).

Type
    INTP
    I took citalopram for about 9 months. That was over a decade ago. I don't think it was very effective for me and I disliked the sexual side effects. In July or August I started taking fluoxetine (along with buspar for anxiety). I thought it was effective, although has similar side effects as the citalopram. But I'm tapering off of it because I felt like it has stopped working. My last dose is tomorrow. But since deciding to quit the fluoxetine, I found out I have a vitamin D deficiency, so that may be the reason I've been feeling so crappy. I don't know. I guess I'll stay off it until my vitamin D levels go back up and see how I feel. My doctor suggested trying Wellbutrin next time. I'll definitely try it if I'm not feeling better in 5 or 6 weeks. For a long time I hesitated taking anything for my mood/anxiety because I thought that's just the way I am or that if I took something I was just masking the underlying problem instead of fixing anything. But I no longer care, I've been this way for most of my life and I'm sick of it.

Type
    ENTP
    Citalopram and Lexapro (escitalopram) should have very similar effects, because they are related molecules. Citalopram has two molecules which are mirror images of each other; the effective one of them is escitalopram (Lexapro), the other one is not effective.

I've taken Lexapro for many extended periods of time, and I have noticed that they do generally improve my mood noticeably. But they also seem to make my OCD a little worse, which is unfortunate because I take it for the opposite effect. I think it's an effective, relatively safe medication. I've never experienced what I'd refer to as poopout on it. But everyone's brain is unique, and people respond differently to different molecules.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hype View Post
    I took citalopram for about 9 months. That was over a decade ago. I don't think it was very effective for me and I disliked the sexual side effects. In July or August I started taking fluoxetine (along with buspar for anxiety). I thought it was effective, although has similar side effects as the citalopram. But I'm tapering off of it because I felt like it has stopped working. My last dose is tomorrow. But since deciding to quit the fluoxetine, I found out I have a vitamin D deficiency, so that may be the reason I've been feeling so crappy. I don't know. I guess I'll stay off it until my vitamin D levels go back up and see how I feel. My doctor suggested trying Wellbutrin next time. I'll definitely try it if I'm not feeling better in 5 or 6 weeks. For a long time I hesitated taking anything for my mood/anxiety because I thought that's just the way I am or that if I took something I was just masking the underlying problem instead of fixing anything. But I no longer care, I've been this way for most of my life and I'm sick of it.
    I've had blood work done several times to check for that, I think they checked vitamin D. Welbutrin IS something I've considered. The problem is that for me, anxiety is even a bigger problem than depression, and SNRIs don't do much for anxiety from what I've read. I hadn't heard of Buspar though, I'll have to check that out. The only time I tried anti-anxiety meds were benzos, and those are disastrous for me.

The sexual side-effects do suck. The only one I've experienced so far is anorgasmia. Apparently Buspar can cause premature ejaculation. Hmm... The other side-effect I experience is sensitivity to alcohol. Not so much when drinking it, but the day after, I'm almost bound to be a bit depressed and anxious even after as little as a single beer or glass of wine. Royal pain in the ass considering how much I love alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    Citalopram and Lexapro (escitalopram) should have very similar effects, because they are related molecules. Citalopram has two molecules which are mirror images of each other; the effective one of them is escitalopram (Lexapro), the other one is not effective.

I've taken Lexapro for many extended periods of time, and I have noticed that they do generally improve my mood noticeably. But they also seem to make my OCD a little worse, which is unfortunate because I take it for the opposite effect. I think it's an effective, relatively safe medication. I've never experienced what I'd refer to as poopout on it. But everyone's brain is unique, and people respond differently to different molecules.
    One thing I've considered trying is changing dosage. Maybe that will kick it back into gear. OR, just taper off and then taper back on, maybe that would give me a "reboot". I'm afraid to try experimenting when I have a sort of chaotic period in my life coming up, which is when I tend to be most susceptible.

Type
    INTP
    Christ, healthcare in the U.S. This is essentially what just happened:

Me (via email): Hey doc, just read about Buspar. Can I get me some o' that?

Doc: Sure man, I'll hook you up. I've called the prescription into the pharmacy. Take them twice a day.

And yes, that literally took place in the time it took to write these two posts.

Type
    INTP
    Yes, I was on them several years ago, can't remember the names anymore though. I think one started with an A. Regardless, I had a terrible reaction to the first. I got much worse, severe suicidal ideation, paranoia, severe panic attacks, you knowm, all the fun stuff. So they put me on a different kind and and my reaction was much the same so they did some tests and sent me to a shrinky-dink to confirm their diagnosis of Rapid cycling Bipolar I with mixed episodes or some shit. So, they doped me for that and after some trial and error I felt pretty stable. Of course I ended up losing my job and with that my insurance so I had to wean myself off the meds. Fortunately I stocked up before my coverage ran out so I was able to do it relatively slowly, but it still wasn't pretty....I don't think I want to talk about that. Anyway......
    Yes, if I had it to do over I would do the meds again. It was nice not being completely out of control.
    I was also tested for other shit and my vitamin D was ridiculously low, (like a 7 or something and it should be at 30?) so I still take mass doses of that shit and it really does help. Don't need insurance to buy vitamins!
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The only one I've ever been on that wasn't a waste of my time and money was venlafaxine (Effexor). I've been on Prozac, Zoloft, and generic versions of that class several times, but mostly when I was a kid. If anything they made my basic problem slightly worse. Mood stabilization has never really been the issue--it's the nature of the mood while stable. I guess during the times when I'd get suicidal/self harm urges I can see the point, but as a general remedy for depression I find them completely pointless.

Anyway, venlafaxine is an SNRI--so kind of like Prozac/et al except it also "reuptake-inhibits" norepinephrine. Kicked the whole dearth of motivation/focus problem right in the ass, and the roughly six-month period when I was taking it was such a flurry of proactively getting my shit together that I didn't feel the need to keep taking it on account of how much forward momentum I'd acquired in my life, which I consider the true measure of effectiveness with this type of drug.

Type
    INTP
    Zoloft! That's the one I was on with the mood stabilizer after the bipolar diagnosis. I liked that one.
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    Welbutrin IS something I've considered. The problem is that for me, anxiety is even a bigger problem than depression, and SNRIs don't do much for anxiety from what I've read. I hadn't heard of Buspar though, I'll have to check that out. The only time I tried anti-anxiety meds were benzos, and those are disastrous for me.
    Yes, the anxiety part is a concern for me with the Wellbutrin. But my anxiety is more social anxiety than generalized anxiety and I've read it can do a little better with social anxiety than generalized anxiety. Hopefully it doesn't make the anxiety worse. Buspar has been helpful. I started it after the fluoxetine and definitely noticed an improvement. My psychiatrist said it can be taken alone, but if you take it with an antidepressant it can make the antidepressant more effective. On the other hand, I've read it doesn't do shit for a lot of people. But there aren't a lot of side effects, so wot the hell. I did get panicky and impulsive and had some really bad thoughts on day 2 or 3, but that went away quickly and I feel calmer now and it's easier to push the negative thoughts and worries aside.

The sexual side-effects do suck. The only one I've experienced so far is anorgasmia. Apparently Buspar can cause premature ejaculation. Hmm... The other side-effect I experience is sensitivity to alcohol. Not so much when drinking it, but the day after, I'm almost bound to be a bit depressed and anxious even after as little as a single beer or glass of wine. Royal pain in the ass considering how much I love alcohol.
    I think I have all the sexual side effects. Not fun. Don't have the alcohol one, thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    Christ, healthcare in the U.S. This is essentially what just happened:

Me (via email): Hey doc, just read about Buspar. Can I get me some o' that?

Doc: Sure man, I'll hook you up. I've called the prescription into the pharmacy. Take them twice a day.

And yes, that literally took place in the time it took to write these two posts.
    Wow. Maybe it was so easy because of the lack of side effects and drug interactions. I hope.
    Last edited by 2hype; 01-24-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    http://www.cchr.org.uk/latest-news/7...hat-dont-work/

RECENTLY, there was media coverage on the number of antidepressants being consumed along with questions about whether they actually worked.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.