Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weak mind diseases

Damned
    Type
    INTP

Weak mind diseases

What conditions do you think you're too good to get. To phrase it another way, which do you think are inconsistent with the way you think. Note that anorexia doesn't always go together with thinking you look good that way. Do you still think you'd just make yourself eat enough? Is depression dumb? Should people with OCD just stop? What are your politically incorrect ideas of medical conditions?

I remember Larry King sounding like he doesn't believe obsessive cleanliness is that hard to control when he interviewed Howie Mandel, so it doesn't mean you're a low life to believe such things, I guess.

Type
    xNxx
    Dunning Kruger effect

Type
    INTJ
    Idk. I recently told my boyfriend that I think I might have ADD. He replied, "in Italy we don't have ADD." So I guess that settles that.

Type
    INTP
    I've struggled with my appetite, so I can sort of get peoples eating issues, although, I don't see how anyone in their right mind could let things go as far as anorexia or bulimia... They clearly need to smoke pot.

Also had some issues with anxiety and depression.. but pots the cure for all
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    But the idea of coating my lungs with soot and the suffering of lung disease...

I was surprised when I read about the high incidence of drug use among INTPs. I think of peer pressure when I think of drug use and if you're a free thinker an an introvert you're less subject to that. And if you're smart you know to resist pleasures that are bad for you. I used to watch tons of TV and the mainstream media was very anti-drug, at least in my day, and that influenced me. Of my few friends, one did drugs but he tried to hide it from me.

...and there are psychiatrists and medication to handle those things. There was never a reason for me to do drugs. I used to hear from some people in the media that everyone knows where to get drugs but that was BS. I didn't and many of my friends didn't. And not everyone has done drugs.

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    Anorexia is one I can't relate too. I always cared about health. Seems like I'd just make myself eat. And the ones who think a bulging bone means they have fat to lose seem dumb. Like they don't realize they're already too skinny overall and will look worse if they lose more. I guess I'll never know how much is dumb and how much is just a weird not-dumb disease.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Being an INTP

Type
    INTP
    I don't have the willpower to be an anorexic.

Type
    INTP
    Obesity. When I hit 125 lbs I feel like I'm surrounded by extraneous flesh and it has to change. I just can't stand the extra weight.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    What conditions do you think you're too good to get. To phrase it another way, which do you think are inconsistent with the way you think. Note that anorexia doesn't always go together with thinking you look good that way. Do you still think you'd just make yourself eat enough? Is depression dumb? Should people with OCD just stop? What are your politically incorrect ideas of medical conditions?

I remember Larry King sounding like he doesn't believe obsessive cleanliness is that hard to control when he interviewed Howie Mandel, so it doesn't mean you're a low life to believe such things, I guess.
    I lost my appetite almost completely for a few months when I was depressed (couldn't eat more than maybe an egg per day), so it wasn't hard for me to stick with the program even after I started feeling a bit better. Out of morbid interest I browse my records in my old food tracker app sometimes and it shows that around that period I would go for several weeks at a time eating under 800 calories (often around 400) per day before having a splurge day. Sometimes it felt like a challenge, but normally it wasn't difficult not to eat. Your stomach shrinks or something chemical happens after you've been starving for a while, and it's actually hard to start eating again. I remember when I went back to school, I wanted to eat properly again, but felt that it was more physically challenging than it was worth. I felt physically sick if I ate more than 1000 calories per day for a long time.

I don't think it was difficult but it was definitely exhausting. I didn't realize this till recently, but I was actually still heavily restricting my diet up until about a year ago, which explains why I would normally just go to sleep after work. Also partly explains why I had such a difficult time in my previous university. (my ex-roommate ranted about me on twitter one time: "all she does is work and sleep.") So having to sleep all the time was the most disabling part, followed by the emotional instability.

anyway, barring some sort of major chemical change in my body, I don't think I could manage to become obese, not because of my history but because I can't stand large amounts of sugar. Couldn't even finish the Dunkin Donuts donut I ordered during my US vacation.