Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A cold introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    I don't mean to be unnice either. My friends are few but I do have a mate that is 90% on the same wavelength as me, hopefully you can find such a person, mate or not, sometime. It helps.

As for defects, absolutely. A simple minded explanation is most things are evolved, not designed. That's what I tell myself. And many things that are designed are short term optimized (i.e., why does so much stuff break/wear out so quickly?). Cheers and welcome.
    The curse of intense interests. What percent of the population afflicted as such are going to happen to have the same interests as you? Millions just like you, but with actually nothing in common.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

I've probably done a LOT of things that other people think are shitty but I can rationalize as they're wrong to think it so.

But the one thing that instantly pops into mind when someone asks this question is my stealing of an m16 firing pin to avoid getting in trouble for losing my own 26 years ago. The guy I stole it from got reamed, and I've never got over the guilt of it. On the positive side, I'd have never even remembered the guy otherwise? Now, he's part of my psychic makeup. Part of what makes me... me. I'm a shitty shitty thief. I still feel bad about it 26 years later over everything else I've done.

Edit: AAAAAnd... wrong thread. RFLOL - I'll leave it. And WELCOME!
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I hate this saying. There are so many things in life that require persistence. If you constantly give up on what you're doing because your efforts don't produce immediate gratification, you'll never get anywhere.
    I agree. In computer science this can also happen while parameters outside your control, including no less than timing, can and will yield different results.

I remember once, for example, writing a paper on the timing response differences between an Outlook Web Access email server returning an incorrect credentials message between correct domain, wrong user, correct domain correct user and incorrect domain, incorrect user, to "time" for the existence of generic accounts, much like listening to clicks while picking a lock.

Essentially, you're doing the same thing over and over, but analyzing for different results, or nuance. It renders the saying false and binary, in my opinion, where reality is more nebulous and granular and includes, "same".

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Doing the same thing and expecting different results is _______________.
    ...practicing. Optimistically. As is proper.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Acsor View Post
    More southern than that. Native italian and have always lived here. I'll probably move abroad as soon as the necessity manifests itself.
    A modern day Roman!
    I'm taking a hint from African Americans and consider holding Romans responsible for a thousand years of oppression and being made to use sewers and aquifers against my people's will.
    Where are my reparations?
    Last edited by Limes; 04-14-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    A modern day Roman!
    I'm taking a hint from African Americans and consider holding Romans responsible for a thousand years of oppression and being made to use sewers and aquifers against my people's will.
    Where are my repatriations?
    It appears to me that ancient romans were quite a forward-thinking society. Sorry for you sewers - do you talk about open-air ones, by the way? - but, if it weren't for their steady decline, I assume that they would be sooner or later able to repair to their little-significant misdeeds.

On the other hand, anglophone people are bringing their invasive language everywhere nowadays, to the point that we Italians and europians-alike start to lose some of our cultural identity. It is getting a more and more settled custom to name products and services with a trailing y, in a foreign language which most local people cannot fathom anyway!

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Acsor View Post
    It appears to me that ancient romans were quite a forward-thinking society. Sorry for you sewers - do you talk about open-air ones, by the way? - but, if it weren't for their steady decline, I assume that they would be sooner or later able to repair to their little-significant misdeeds.
    I think the people were quite happy to either be covered in shit, as serfs, or just use a large trench in the ground.
    The people had poo removal foisted upon them!

On the other hand, anglophone people are bringing their invasive language everywhere nowadays, to the point that we Italians and europians-alike start to lose some of our cultural identity. It is getting a more and more settled custom to name products and services with a trailing y, in a foreign language which most local people cannot fathom anyway!
    That sounds kinda cutesy in English, like "I need to take trainy, so I will ride the busey" - oh, second thought, no one needs a mental image of Gary Busey being rode to the train station.