Thread: Elaborating an Intuition into a Coherent System

Type
    INTP

Elaborating an Intuition into a Coherent System

So I was just reviewing Erikson's stages of development.

Despite having to know this over multiple semesters of nursing school, I keep forgetting what's what. Today I told myself, "Screw it. I'll just have to memorize it." As in, I'll just come up with some mnemonic instead of trying to truly grok the concept in a meaningful way.

The thing is, I don't hate Erikson. I think that the whole "stages of development" thing can be a useful way of assessing a person.

But. I think it falls into that fallacy of first having an idea that is a genuine insight, but then overstretching it and forcing it to fit into a complete, logical scheme.

And I think that's true of a *lot* of pseudoscience, particularly in the realms of psychology and sociology. MBTI and enneagram spring to mind. Yes, they *can* be very insightful, but they are *not* laws of the universe. At any given time, they may or may not apply. And perhaps their application would be more accurate if they did *not* take the form of a complete, seemingly logical scheme.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    And I think that's true of a *lot* of pseudoscience, particularly in the realms of psychology and sociology. MBTI and enneagram spring to mind.
    To make a distinction between pop psychology and academic psychology, MBTI and Enneagram are not typically taught in credible psychology programs; if either are used, it's to exemplify pseudoscience.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    You can't elaborate an intuition into a coherent system save by accident. An intuition is a guide to something to test the holy hell out of, and sometimes that results in a useful model. If you merely elaborate on an intuition what you get is superstition.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)