Thread: Elaborating an Intuition into a Coherent System

Type
    INTP

Elaborating an Intuition into a Coherent System

So I was just reviewing Erikson's stages of development.

Despite having to know this over multiple semesters of nursing school, I keep forgetting what's what. Today I told myself, "Screw it. I'll just have to memorize it." As in, I'll just come up with some mnemonic instead of trying to truly grok the concept in a meaningful way.

The thing is, I don't hate Erikson. I think that the whole "stages of development" thing can be a useful way of assessing a person.

But. I think it falls into that fallacy of first having an idea that is a genuine insight, but then overstretching it and forcing it to fit into a complete, logical scheme.

And I think that's true of a *lot* of pseudoscience, particularly in the realms of psychology and sociology. MBTI and enneagram spring to mind. Yes, they *can* be very insightful, but they are *not* laws of the universe. At any given time, they may or may not apply. And perhaps their application would be more accurate if they did *not* take the form of a complete, seemingly logical scheme.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    And I think that's true of a *lot* of pseudoscience, particularly in the realms of psychology and sociology. MBTI and enneagram spring to mind.
    To make a distinction between pop psychology and academic psychology, MBTI and Enneagram are not typically taught in credible psychology programs; if either are used, it's to exemplify pseudoscience.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    You can't elaborate an intuition into a coherent system save by accident. An intuition is a guide to something to test the holy hell out of, and sometimes that results in a useful model. If you merely elaborate on an intuition what you get is superstition.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)