Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronic fatigue syndrome

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    I went through a period a few years ago when I was fatigued all the time, went to the docs and they diagnosed me with anemia and general stress.

I took Iron supplements for a while.. think I got the all clear of amenia eventually, but I'm so bad with medical appointment years pass before I ever check on things properly.

I could use a full body assessment at present.

(Something that's practically impossible to get on the NHS - they will only deal with 1 ailment at a time - and when you've got 10 ailments, all those appointments seem daunting, and it's not wonder so many die through medical negligence)

I've been wondering about a similiar condition called Fibromyalgia.. when I used to do the DWP's work (Department for Work & Pensions) , there would be some clients claiming "sick benefits" , and some of them (small minority) were for this condition Fibromyalgia, and I was convinced that they were just lazy ass benefit frauds. Especially when they regarded the checks & balances with contempt.

But fast forward a few later and I'm starting to sympathise with the undiagnosed disorders. I'm walking around with a few myself, and they're beginning to make life hard.

I just hurt everywhere, at least it feels like I do.

My hips always ache, my coccyx is tender, I've a lower herniated disk and frequent sciatica, my higher SI joints are inflamed and bulging, I've got more tension in my upper back than than a show down between The Bride & Bill (KillBill), and all the muscles in my legs just ache from top to bottom, after pretty much any activity.

I am still pretty active despite all that, you just become accustomed to the pain. Actually resting might be good, but I can't sit still for too long anyways.

I wouldn't bother taking time off work for it because 1) I'd be out doing something else, if not working 2) I can't afford not to work. (Victorian Era 2.0 here in England).

I'm just reminded of the over-all picture that the human race has become diseased, as a result of the sick symptoms of society.

Couple of headlines and stats came out recently (from memory) 1) It's estimated that 1 in 2 adults in Britain will develop cancer at some point 2) It's estimated that most of us will start developing degenerative diseases such as Dementia earlier, likely in our late 50s & early 60s 3) My generation isn't looking to retire until the age of 78 by Tory plans.

Everytime I go to the doctors will a complaint, they offer me Ibuprofen, paracetamol and naproxen (helps with nerve pain).

I accept a certain number these to use in desperate times, but I often decline, reminding them they are not keeping track of how often they are prescribing these for various issues, and cumulatively they would inadvertently kill me. (Which has happened here a fair few times).

I ask them to get to the root cause, the underlying issue. I don't want to mask the pain, I want to fix it. They fob me off.

The medical establishment is as corrupt as any other, and a lot more methodical in their callous methods.

*Apocalyptic voice*

"we're all gonna die!
    Out of curiosity do you do any cardio or strength training?
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    Out of curiosity do you do any cardio or strength training?
    Not lately.. I get a small amount of cardio in when I'm out Ingressing, but I could definitely use more. Right now my SI joints are seriously misaligned, so I gotta take it easy until I can get in with the Orthopaedic hospital. Indo some basic core.work outs still, because they help strengthen my back. I'm currently very lazy/in pain, but probably still get more excerice than most people.

At the time when I was fatigued, I was quite active in regards to cardio & strength. I was boxing at the time, and was in pretty good shape - I couldn't get my head around the anemia diagnosis because I thought my diet was pretty stable, not perfect, but stable.

I do cause myself some general fatigue because I'm a binger. I'll not eat for maybe a day, and then pig out the next day. I'll not sleep for two days, but then sleep for two days. I'll walk 20 miles, and the lay on my ass and doing nothing for 20 hours.

But that's just me.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Sinny, a chiropractor may be more willing to help you get to the bottom of your ailments. You may have to pay out of pocket though. You're awfully young to be walking around in so much pain.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Sinny, a chiropractor may be more willing to help you get to the bottom of your ailments. You may have to pay out of pocket though. You're awfully young to be walking around in so much pain.
    Yeah, I think I might have to go private.
    But I'll see what the Royal Othopedic hospital has to say first... If they are anything like the other departments they'll be shit, but they boast Excellence, so we'll see.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Chiropractic is pseudoscience, she may as well go to a homeopath.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    I just hurt everywhere, at least it feels like I do.

My hips always ache, my coccyx is tender, I've a lower herniated disk and frequent sciatica, my higher SI joints are inflamed and bulging, I've got more tension in my upper back than than a show down between The Bride & Bill (KillBill), and all the muscles in my legs just ache from top to bottom, after pretty much any activity.
    Sounds a lot like what my friend described, and she was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. She said that exercise helped (in her case she was a dancer), and so did hash oil at night before bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    He's still doing heaps of hiking of surfing but he's just exhausted all the time I think
    That doesn't make any sense. Why do you think he is exhausted if he has the energy for these things?

Sounds to me more like he just likes to complain and/or seek sympathy. Unless this is a case of where he has energy to do things he likes to do (surf/hike) but becomes mysteriously "too tired" when it comes to accompanying you regarding things you would like to do.

Type
    INTP
    I had it when younger, was due to general poor health from poor dietary and exercise choices. I suspect as is the case in many situations, or at least you have to rule that out before labeling it as a syndrome.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. Why do you think he is exhausted if he has the energy for these things?

Sounds to me more like he just likes to complain and/or seek sympathy. Unless this is a case of where he has energy to do things he likes to do (surf/hike) but becomes mysteriously "too tired" when it comes to accompanying you regarding things you would like to do.
    It's still possible to do those things with low energy. I'm tired all the time and I still go hiking pretty much every weekend. I don't have a chronic fatigue syndrome diagnosis or anything, but I have wondered if I have something like that before. I would think that people who do have it still try to do whatever they normally do in their lives unless their exhaustion is severe enough that they physically can't. They still have lives to live.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Chiropractic is pseudoscience, she may as well go to a homeopath.
    Ok, but a chiropractor got rid of my chronic back pain, and a lot of her problems sound like alignment issues to me. I don't see why she wouldn't try it considering so far all medical doctors have done is offer her pain relievers, not a diagnosis or cure. A good physical therapist may also be able to help her.