Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise Equipment

Type
    INTx

Exercise Equipment

Seems like a rip off at $499. Also, I don't like that with resistance bands the tension changes through the exercise movement. I do like how compact, light, and portable they are.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Seems like a rip off at $499.
    yes, you could get some surgical tube and pvc pipe and make your own gear

Also, I don't like that with resistance bands the tension changes through the exercise movement.
    that's the point of bands, lifters use them as supplements to their barbell workouts to focus on parts of their lifts, like you use them to make the bottom of a squat lighter or the top heavier, depending on how you tie them.

Type
    XXXX
    Sledge hammer
    Tractor Tire
    Backpack filled with rocks
    Sand bags
    Running shoes
    Your own goddamn body!

Modern style gyms fall just behind churches in stupid societal constructs, IMO
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    For some exercises, I don't think a full range of motion with a given weight without "cheating" will get you natural proportions. I don't mean you shouldn't lift heavy and get big. I just mean that these man made exercises don't all replicate things you may need to do in real life. I make pretty normal use of my arms and don't work out. I was in Dick's Sporting Goods and tried a chin up on some kind of weight rack. I felt like I could do a decent set of almost-chin ups. But the last two inches were impossible. I think once you can't do any more complete chin-ups (actually, neutral grip pullups should be your first choice and pull ups your second choice and chin ups should be avoided) you should do sets of partials, NOT with the goal of eventually doing decent sets of full-only ones. I think people should think of those last two inches as a completely different exercise and not care about using lower weight for that range of motion. The proportion of strength different parts of your body have when you do normal activities is the proportion that should be maintained.

That's my theory anyway.

I practice what I preach. Once in a while I use an exercise bike. I never removed the crank shorteners so I pedal in a pretty small circle. I figure it's more like walking that way. You don't bend your knees much when you walk.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    that's the point of bands, lifters use them as supplements to their barbell workouts to focus on parts of their lifts, like you use them to make the bottom of a squat lighter or the top heavier, depending on how you tie them.
    Thanks for the info. I also just learned (after my earlier post) about the value of variable resistance by watching the sales pitch at the X3Bar site. The "X" is for the multiple of the resistance from bottom to top.

I already have resistance bands. Now I better appreciate the value of the variable resistance.

Retired
    Type
    XXXX
    Seems like a rip off at $499. Also, I don't like that with resistance bands the tension changes through the exercise movement. I do like how compact, light, and portable they are.

[video]
    Currently on AliExpress for $27.52

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    Now that's a reasonable price.

Type
    xNxx
    I also just learned (after my earlier post) about the value of variable resistance by watching the sales pitch at the X3Bar site. The "X" is for the multiple of the resistance from bottom to top.
    The amount of snake oil and disinformation in the fitness/wellness/nutrition industry is staggering.

From that site, it says

You may notice that the elastic group in this study did perform combined variable resistance and resistance training, since the athletes used bars and plates attached to elastic bands, so while the resistance varied, they always had to lift the bar/plate/other mechanical assembly. Although the X3 is not very heavy, we provide a very similar experience, since the product is composed of a bar, and a plate.
    Meaning they used the banded resistance like I was describing- as an assistance movement. Then the salesmen bait and switch you into thinking you don't need the barbell at all. Considering that those bands maybe add/subtract something like 10% to either extreme of the lift, that's a touch disingenuous. Kind of like "hey this steak is better with salad! don't even need the steak!"

There's no replacement for the big compound exercises. There are plenty of variations, but if you want to get the biggest effects of strength training first, you should do the biggest ones first.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    The amount of snake oil and disinformation in the fitness/wellness/nutrition industry is staggering.

From that site, it says

Meaning they used the banded resistance like I was describing- as an assistance movement. Then the salesmen bait and switch you into thinking you don't need the barbell at all. Considering that those bands maybe add/subtract something like 10% to either extreme of the lift, that's a touch disingenuous. Kind of like "hey this steak is better with salad! don't even need the steak!"

There's no replacement for the big compound exercises. There are plenty of variations, but if you want to get the biggest effects of strength training first, you should do the biggest ones first.
    Oh yeah. The pitch has disingenuous snake oil stench. You know the pitchman didn't build all that muscle just by using that product, nor did any of the buff people you see pitching "complete exercise solution[s]."

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i have a treadmill and access to bodies of water...
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly