Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Science Fiction

Zombie Jesus Bloody School Daze's Avatar
    Type
    xNTP
    What do people here think about Looper and Edge of Tomorrow? I think for those of you that prefer narrative focus to world focus especially these would be good picks.

I pretty much agree with people about 2001. Not my thing so much.

As far as Kylo Ren goes, I'm a little enh about him. Maybe if they showed a bit more what his struggle was I'd enjoy a bit more, but as it stands, he's somewhat interesting but not the greatest.
    If I'm so wonderful then why am I so misunderstood?
    Everybody has a reason for it except me

-Mindless Self Indulgence

When one's life is in your hands, you become their god.
    -One of the villains from the Abraxas Wren series.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    hear ya. I liked Arrival, but not like fanatic about it. I was trying to think if there were any movies that treat aliens in a less "Earthy" way. Maybe The Andromeda Strain (microbial), Europa Report (microbial), Solaris (?). Not sure what other non-Earthy representations of aliens there are.

I've been watching The Expanse, and this is a dimension of it I've come to especially appreciate.

I feel like there are plenty of movies that handle alien life (or perhaps more to the point, the concept of alien life's alien-ness) in fairly interesting ways, though suddenly I'm drawin a blank thinking of any standout examples--but certainly for a TV show, I don't think I've ever seen the subject approached with anywhere near this level/type of thought before.

Like it's a "First Contact" story, but the central dynamic of the contact narrative is that the humans really have no idea what the fuck they're looking at. It only gradually emerges from their prodding attempts at research that the thing is even alive--and then later that it possesses intelligence--and even then the particulars of the manner in which it lives/is alive is still a big hard-to-solve mystery because (realistically, if you ask me) it turns out a form of life with non-terrestrial origins is so radically different from any living thing on or from Earth that the concepts of something being alive or intelligent kind of need to start meaning somewhat different things when talking about it.

(I guess the series is being cancelled and I'll have to read the books, but the portions of the series that have been televisionized thus far are also somewhat heavy on the world-building, in that the focus is squarely on how humanity reacts to the first-ever discovery that extraterrestrial life exists, and a big part of that is an IMHO realistic take on human nature in which their absolute first priority from the get-go of discovering it promptly segues from "What the fuck IS this thing?" to "How can we use it to kill each other?" Hence a lot of dwelling on the general state of human culture and society at that point, especially the politics of which particular groups of people want to kill each other and why.

Hence definitely a lot of space-opera-y content, which is unremarkable because every sci-fi TV show primarily does the same thing, but the treatment of the alien angle is fairly novel, and refreshingly in the vein of what I would consider real and proper science fiction--it's about imagining the process of coming to understand something mysterious which is foreign to real-world experience but nonetheless anchored in the conceit of its plausibility.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    and a big part of that is an IMHO realistic take on human nature in which their absolute first priority from the get-go of discovering it promptly segues from "What the fuck IS this thing?" to "How can we use it to kill each other?" Hence a lot of dwelling on the general state of human culture and society at that point, especially the politics of which particular groups of people want to kill each other and why.
    I thought that lesbian slang was going to be the last major overhaul of my view of "The Trouble with Tribbles". I am delighted to be proven wrong.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)