Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What was your favorite job?

Type
    INTP
    Research assistant for a cultural geographer so it was always weird topics. Work whenever I want. Work alone. Learn shit. I branched out and started making images and maps for publications on my own. QGIS was a bitch to learn but it's come in handy. I also got to develop unorthodox ways to gain data. Whatever works.

Quote Originally Posted by attila_the_hunny View Post
    Research assistant for a cultural geographer so it was always weird topics. Work whenever I want. Work alone. Learn shit. I branched out and started making images and maps for publications on my own. QGIS was a bitch to learn but it's come in handy. I also got to develop unorthodox ways to gain data. Whatever works.
    Is the catch that you have to go to grad school for cultural geography?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    Is the catch that you have to go to grad school for cultural geography?

Nah I didn’t even finish my undergrad, but you gotta know people. ����*♀️

Quote Originally Posted by attila_the_hunny View Post
    Nah I didn’t even finish my undergrad, but you gotta know people. ����*♀️
    Noted, but fuck that shit

Type
    INTP
    I enjoy most jobs for a few years, then begin to hate them.

I enjoyed working at a pizza place, because I learned the Zen of making pizza...seriously, I could go 8 hours in a state of No-Mind, just blissfully doing way more than a single worker should ever be required to do, and I was amazing at it. That was fulfilling. Pizza ninja. Then later I switched over to delivery, and listened to The Great Courses/The Teaching Company's courses on Socrates and Aristotle and a few others all while driving around...that was awesome.

I also enjoyed working as a summer student at the aluminum smelter. Operating forklifts and loaders is like playing videogames, and the other side of my job was doing railway maintenance...so we'd walk the tracks, tighten bolts, and do odd maintenance-y stuff while enjoying the weather, and watching bears fish in the creeks around the plant...it was laid back, great pay, and my boss was awesome, too...and in the plant, break times were notoriously long, so I read many books and watched many movies...and to top it off, there was a sauna in our change room...and we'd quit 45 minutes early every day and get a good sweat on before showering, all on company time.

Working for the Child Development Center as support for some behaviourally-challenging kids, and also as a Child & Youth worker(think: Big Brother)...that one was probably least enjoyable at first...but after the first 18 months or so, getting to see huge improvements in the kids I worked with was really rewarding. One kid that I worked with was just a ball of crazy energy...he'd never want to sit down for learning time or for any time, actually...except that he was obsessed with Lightning McQueen and Co. from Pixar's Cars movie...so I could get him to sit still if I would draw Cars characters for him. After about 18 months of watching me draw things for him, he would actually sit down during learning time. One day I was late getting to the table for some reason, and the kids had some worksheet where they were supposed to draw a monkey. Well when I came back to sit, he'd used the brown crayon (his favourite colour, because it was like him) to draw the best damn monkey in the whole class. He got a ton of praise over it, and I made a point to pin it up in a visible spot in the classroom, afterwards. He totally got passionate about drawing, and by the time he was 5 years old, I had him drawing 3d characters from Lego Batman...it was awesome. I also worked with a lot of autistic kids during my time there...and I kind of felt like they were my people. Had a very easy time making like there were no communication barriers with most of them, probably due to some sort of mind-meld condition. I could relate to them better than I could relate to my coworkers.

Now I'm a carpenter...and it's interesting enough, mostly because I get to do different things every day, and because I'm usually laid off for at least several months each year, and because the pay is really good...and because I've gained many practical skills that save me lots of money. Some of it is easy...some of it is challenging...some of it is creative...some of it is just an exercise in efficiency.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

silent magician lv. 4 slush puppie's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    either my very first one or my current one:

the former because it was a fast-casual restaurant in a run-down part of the city run by an utterly pie-in-the sky manager who was completely oblivious or apathetic to the fact we were getting hella baked in the walk-in freezer on a nightly basis and then munching on free food;

the latter because i don't have to deal with customers whatsoever, because it's a lab, and because my coworkers are actually educated/intelligent/cool/nice.
    I used to wonder about that myself. Crazy thing is...it's true. All of it. ---Han Solo

We must wade through bitter waters before we reach the sweet. ---Dr. Van Helsing

Type
    INTP
    I've had sinecure jobs, such as working as a research assistant at a university*. Seems great, you can do whatever you want, but after not too long it gets crazy. All INTP's secretly (or not so secretly) aspire to some job with no accountability, but in practice it's not that great. Actually it sucks after a while, you dive into your belly button and get in a rut.

* Others too, several times in my career I was caught between organizational changes and ended up for 6 months or something with nothing to do but surf the net (and get paid six figures).