Thread: What was your favorite job?

Type
    ISFP

What was your favorite job?

What'd you like the best about it?

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Field service engineer. Repairing PCs, laptops, printers all IT basically.
    I didn't earn a lot, pay was pretty shitty, not even enough to live alone, but I got a company car and gas card and became the "go-to guy" pretty quickly for competency. I would go in to the main office with a big smile on my face usually.
    I went from traveling within the city, to national support and network installs/server builds.

I gave them an ultimatum for a pay raise and new company car. Did not get the car. Left for an 80% pay raise and a new car, but the new job was way less fun.

There was something really fun about grabbing a stack of calls for broken hardware, figuring out which spare parts to take out and going out to repair them.

I was just reminded of that job today in-fact. seeing a bunch of Oki 9-pin dot matrix printers. I would tear one of those apart in about fifteen seconds (was usually a worn plastic cog on the platen knob) - also enjoyed Toshiba laptop repairs and LaserJet II Fuser units.

Type
    ISFP
    sounds dope

LIVELY BUNCH tonight

Type
    ISFP
    sounds dope

LIVELY BUNCH tonight

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Too many trust fund babies around here.

Type
    INTP
    I worked for a popular video game magazine back in the mid 90s. My job was to play video games, take pictures of them, write about them. What wasn't to like about that? Favorite because I got to play video games (months before they were on the market), because I was making money instead of going into debt (that is, this job replaced going to college, being that I flunked out of high school; hence, no student loans or time wasted in academia), because all my co-workers were other "flunkie" nerds like me, and because it was just overall fun and loose as hell. It also dovetailed into my software development career, so, it all worked out better than I could have planned or imagined in advance.

edit: also favorite for all the fun anecdotes it generated. For instance, my interview consisted of beating my to-be boss in Super Street Fighter.

Type
    INTP
    Well, this will probably sound absurd coming from an Introvert, but perhaps not so absurd coming from an Eight.. but I rather enjoyed working behind a bar, which I done for a few years after school.

(four behind a Bar, four in Business admin, one year of various, and now one in health & social).

Some of the things I appreciated about working behind a bar include it's physically demanding nature (behind a busy bar), the opportunity to meet & engage with a lot of people, and to have the freedom to engage with them however I see fit.. and it's the sort of work that you definitely don't take home with you, you do your bit and your spare time is yours... But I do think it's a young persons job, what with the mediocre pay, late nights, and the temptation to drink yourself.

Working in Business admin was okay in some regards, seriously not okay in others. Working for a large organisation enabled lots of opportunities for further progression, of which I took advantage of several, but ultimately these private organizations who work closely with the civil service are all bent on profit and to progress you must become institutionalised.. which is something I'm not prepared to do, so I quickly departed that path.

Profit is a dirty word.. and I'm struggling to find any decent opportunities with actual ethical people.

I don't think there are any ethical people left in Tory Britain.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    xNxx
    Worked a stretch in a full service gas station, swing shift for one summer after high school. It was as close as I'll ever personally get to being in the movie Caddyshack. I'd chug 40s in the cooler, smoke terrible weed and then blow it through a fabric softener/toilet paper roll, give my friends 85% discounts on junk food, play guitar all night, drink a million pots of coffee and generally graze the store. It was full service so there was all kinds of frozen garbage breakfast food that we'd cook and eat. I even figured out a scam where I'd charge people for a scratch-off ticket when they'd order coffee. You don't understand the type of psychopaths you deal with when you face publicly at 3 am in the lonesome foothills of colorado. Meth-addicts, wiccans, and everything in between.

This wasn't actually my favorite job.

Type
    INTP
    Working in wildife tourism in South Africa - getting to stay at luxury private game reserves through work, being in the middle of your own wildlife documentary where your eyes are the camera, with the added dimenions of the other senses enriching the experience, with a touch of fear and excitement putting your amigdala into recording mode, creating some of the best memories you'll have in your life.

Type
    ISFP
    stuck smoking and drinking in the cooler reminds me of Andy Milonakis in the movie Waiting

and Mxx like one of the Thornberries with khaki cargo pants and a boonie hat