Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: I want to ride my bicycle

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    Also, touring in New Zealand looks amazing. Definitely want to give that a try. And I think off-road touring is where it's at.
    Bike shuttle...

Type
    intp
    A mid winter ride the length of GodZone.. a little out of sequence but it spends a lot of the time where I live including in my local bike shop (that I was in an hour ago) and at the pools one of guys at work owns.

Type
    intp
    I bought this bike 'Giant Fathom 2' today. I think it's good. I don't know. Reviews say it's good. $900 down from $1200. MBT'ing is hard! I'm not used to this in comparison to road biking. With this I think I need to use the whole body more. It's tiring. I think it involves a bit more 'explosiveness' to blast up through rocky sections, etc, whereas road biking is sitting basically still, and letting the legs apply immense power. I think it's going to be really fun when I get into it. But I was kind of surprised to find myself feeling just slightly out of place. And I'm not used to being able to ride over just about anything. Novelty. The downhills are great.

I took it for an introductory ride:

Type
    intp
    Just rode around the top N/W of the South Island over the Old Ghost Road and then the Heaphy Track for a couple of weeks. Lots of climbing, beaches and some very fit young mountain bikers. I was camping on the Heaphy and a couple of hundred kilometres from any significant settlement and had the most brilliant night sky. I thought skies around here were clear but the Milky Way was so clear it dazzled. Very cool but I'm very tired now.

Nice strava map of the general route https://www.strava.com/routes/10851746
    Last edited by jyng1; 10-28-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Just rode around the top N/W of the South Island over the Old Ghost Road and then the Heaphy Track for a couple of weeks. Lots of climbing, beaches and some very fit young mountain bikers. I was camping on the Heaphy and a couple of hundred kilometres from any significant settlement and had the most brilliant night sky. I thought skies around here were clear but the Milky Way was so clear it dazzled. Very cool but I'm very tired now.

Nice strava map of the general route https://www.strava.com/routes/10851746
    Let's see some pictures.

A friend and I are back on this plan to reach 100,000m of vertical elevation over the course of this year. We're far behind. I'm at 71,000. So lots of riding to come. I've been riding most days after work. Is good. I'm getting big nostalgia from the atmosphere of riding as the sun is going down, which is putting me right back to last year, riding across fields in Europe. In the evening the roads seem more quiet and there's a nice warmth in the air.

The route I took today was fairly scenic, but there are these nice scenes all over. It's good.

Spoiler: photographs

Today, while riding home from work, a driver got very upset with me for passing him too closely. Ironic. He appeared to try to drive at me from behind in retaliation, and then drove beside me to have a conversation: "do you realise you were really close to me when you passed?" I shrugged. "Really, *very* close. So close.". I said "okay" and kept going, while he waited behind some other cars. I do tend to filter fairly aggressively.
    Last edited by scarydoor; 10-31-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Type
    intp
    I got some new bar tape yesterday. First time putting that on. Getting my S fix. Quite fun. I'm developing a theme amongst my two road bikes.

----

Shifting issues amongst the sprocket on the black one. Adjusting the barrel adjuster for the rear derailleur indexing was not able to solve it. Erratic. I believe it may be because the hub actually wobbles slightly as the wheel spins. Apparently enough to disrupt how the chain wants to sit on the cassette. I had a thought that it could just be a matter of properly setting up the spoke tensions on that wheel. Perhaps they are just so badly done that the wheel doesn't sit in the middle properly. Actually that makes no sense. Wheel needs attention.

----

I also bought a 'fourth hand'. I just discovered this. It holds a cable at a specific tension so that you can then have your hands free to lock it in with the screw. Cool tool.

Spoiler: image

Type
    intp
    I rode an imperial century yesterday. Bit of an international mix with 300 Aussies, a Welshman, a few Brits, a couple from Singapore, a smattering of others from around the world and 6,000 Kiwis. Best conditions for years with this years La Nina; warm with barely any wind with an almost tropical feel... Keep feeling like I could have trained more to go faster on the hills around the lake (and to avoid cramping in the last 40 km). Maybe next year. Or perhaps I should get a Zwift set up to keep my miles up over winter...

Lying on the couch watching videos today...

Type
    intp
    The International Mountain Bike Association just put out their 2017 list of epic rides and the Heaphy was just added to it. That makes the Old Ghost Road and the Heaphy loop that I rode in October a double epic. That's probably why it nearly killed me...

The new class of IMBA EPICS range from a 50-mile backcountry ride in New Zealand that winds its way through remote valleys, across mountain tops and down river gorges and should only be attempted by experienced, self-sufficient riders.

Type
    intp
    Oh to be young (and stupid) again...

Type
    intp
    My mate got her blog into the top 25 bicycle touring blogs. I'm even in it if you look hard enough...