Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: I want to ride my bicycle

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Ex bike engineer leaks how marketing works in the mountain bike industry.
    Wow. I had to look up most of those. And here I was skeptical about the 1:10 setups. This tyre thing is starting to catch up to the number of USB ends you might have to deal with.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    intp
    The good news is that the Desert Road is closed from snow so there won't be any trucks on my commute to work this afternoon.

The bad news is that it's pouring with rain that's trying hard to be snow.

Type
    INTx
    I'll still wear my helmet. It has a light which adds to me being visible to motorists. But that probably just heightens the "risk compensation" (discussed at 2:45). D'oh!

You hide behind caveats and modifiers. - Lurker

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Caveat View Post
    I'll still wear my helmet.

Glad you have the choice. Anecdotally they'll save your life when you get hit by a 40 tonne truck driving at 90 kph.

Type
    intp
    I went riding with friends on Thursday before work. One said "we're thinking of doing a cycling trip to the alps in June, would you be interested?" hell yeah. So we're doing that now. I've brought some enthusiasm, and it seems that the trip is fairly probable now.

I'll just blurt out some random enthusiasms:

I haven't travelled with others much, so I'm fairly intrigued. I've done a couple crossings of the alps, and it was great, but it was a massive slog, and I think it could actually be great fun to share the experience with some other dudes.

They're all surgeons / radar analysts / etc. So I think we'll all be reasonably cashed up, and the word is that eating + drinking beer / wine will be equally as important. Excellent.

We ride together quite frequently and are pretty much the same level.

I'm a little curious how long it will take me to generally lose my shit at someone. Sometimes I struggle a bit if I perceive that someone is doing something stupid / the wrong way. I might have to go a bit zen at times. Going to make sure our itinerary provides opportunities for people to sit out events, maybe go hiking or something on their own, if they just need some solitude. I'll make sure to get some time just reading alone daily, go off for a stroll in the evening or something. Sometimes I can get pretty pissed off if people are making logistics unnecessarily complicated. E.g. endlessly dwelling on basic stuff instead of just getting things done, and churning through. I might have to bite my tongue.

(e.g. one of my cycling friends is a stereotypical physicist. His tyre got a hole, so he went to fix. I was feeling particularly unhelpful that day, so I watched as he fumbled with it for literally one hour. "how to remove tyre?" "how to get air in?" "oh was that wrong order?" "how does a screw work?" On a later ride he had another puncture, I grabbed the wheel from him and got it changed in 10 minutes)

----

I bought a lot of bike things lately. A work stand so I can do things properly. derailleur hanger alignment tool. wheel dishing tool. chain stretch gauge. etc.

I found that the cranks are definitely shorter on this bike than my other one, which has 175mm. So it is 170mm or 172.5mm. It doesn't feel good. Feels like the rotation is too short.

Spoiler: image: work stand

Type
    intp
    driver just about hits me from behind when I'm on the roundabout, then swerves into me as he passes later. I speed up to the prick, and he pulls down a side street. fuck it, follow this prick. He brakes aggressively.

me: "what's the problem?"
    guy: (very calmly) "... you need to give way to the right."
    me: "I was to your right..." (very odd)
    guy: "you were too fast"
    me: "so if I am to your right, why did you not slow down for me? [but instead almost drive into me and then swerve at me]"
    guy: "I (car) am bigger than you."
    me: "... that's not how driving works. It doesn't matter."

He is apparently speechless. Guy drives away and I say "learn to drive you dickhead."

That'll show him.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    I went riding with friends on Thursday before work. One said "we're thinking of doing a cycling trip to the alps in June, would you be interested?" hell yeah. So we're doing that now. I've brought some enthusiasm, and it seems that the trip is fairly probable now.
    European alps, Australian alps, or Southern alps?

European alps would be pretty cool.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    European alps, Australian alps, or Southern alps?

European alps would be pretty cool.
    European Alps.

We're thinking a week or so in France, and then a week in Italy (dolomites).

Aiming to do some hills like col du telegraphe, galibier, etc. madeleine (I've ridden 80% of it before reaching the snow line).

I've not really been to the Australian Alps (drove past). My understanding is they're more like lumpy hills that happen to be slightly taller than the others. I would like to check out the Southern alps.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    European Alps.

We're thinking a week or so in France, and then a week in Italy (dolomites).

Aiming to do some hills like col du telegraphe, galibier, etc. madeleine (I've ridden 80% of it before reaching the snow line).

I've not really been to the Australian Alps (drove past). My understanding is they're more like lumpy hills that happen to be slightly taller than the others. I would like to check out the Southern alps.

I rode Alpe d'Huez a couple of years ago which was pretty cool. Apparently 10,000 people ride it a day in the summer. I imagine some of the others are similar. It'll probably be quite the experience doing a whole lot of climbs.

The Southern Alps only has three sealed alpine passes and they're nothing like the european roads (apart from perhaps the ride up the crown range from Arrowtown). Three roads isn't much for an alpine area bigger than the French, Austrian and Italian alps combined. People are doing more bikepacking now though and there's another trail being developed which will mean you could link the Heaphy, the Old Ghost road, Pike 29 memorial track (new) and the Wilderness trail which would give you about 400 kms of alpine/bush single track and take you from the top of the South Island almost to the Glaciers on the West Coast.

I rode from Melbourne to Sydney 10 years ago via the Snowy River to Jindabyne. Some of the hills in Australia aren't to be sneezed at.

An article on the new track opening next year.